What are the "liberal Protestant" denominations? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 07:03:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What are the "liberal Protestant" denominations? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the "liberal Protestant" denominations?  (Read 1906 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« on: March 13, 2023, 08:47:06 PM »

Universalist Unitarian? 

I attended one of their church services in college as part of a journalism project.  Half the dudes wanted to bang my brains out right then and there (the THIRST WAS REAL).  The other half refused to speak to me at all (they probably had government jobs with clearances and probably thought I was with DHS. lol)

UU is explicitly non-Christian at this point, so they don't really fit in this category.  They are probably closest to historical Deism. 

This reminds me how the slogan of the local UU church where I live is "A Place to Connect, Grow and Serve," which honestly sounds more corporate than actual corporate networking organizations I've been a part of.

Nice people, but I just don't see the point of a parish like that.

Agreed.  If you aren't actually seeking forgiveness of sin, what is the point of it all?

*Ironically, this could apply as much to certain Calvinist fundamentalists as it does to UU's.

True. Another way that I tend to look at it is: If you're not trying to seek holiness (which means many different things to different people), and not encouraged to do so much, then what are you gaining from a church?

It's ironic that you mention Calvinists as the flip side of UUs. The local Presbyterian churches to where I am are a very close second in terms of "functionally agnostic" communities behind the UUs. A very strong split from their Calvinist roots, I think.

A lot of denominations like Presbyterians, Anglicans/Episcopalians, and Lutherans have split into more conservative denominations and more progressive ones.  Like, a PCA church and a PCUSA church aren't going to agree on much beyond the Presbyterian name and (probably) having a similar structure and style to the worship.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 12:19:51 PM »

An interesting comparison of Mainline* denominations by political orientation from Pew.  Note Pew rounds weird, so some won't add up ... I am but the messenger:

Congregationalist (UCC): 58% DEM, 31% GOP, 11% IND
Episcopalian: 49% DEM, 39% GOP, 12% IND
Lutheran (ELCA): 47% DEM, 43% GOP, 10% IND
Presbyterian (USA): 47% DEM, 44% GOP, 10% IND
Baptist (USA): 42% DEM, 41% GOP, 16% IND
Methodist (United): 54% GOP, 35% DEM, 11% IND
Anglican: 58% GOP, 37% DEM, 5% IND
Lutheran (Missouri Synod): 59% GOP, 27% DEM, 14% IND
Presbyterian (PCA): 60% GOP, 34% DEM, 6% IND

And for some comparison with other Christian groups:

Historically Black Protestant (All Groups): 80% DEM, 10% GOP, 10% IND
Orthodox: 44% DEM, 34% GOP, 22% IND
Catholic: 44% DEM, 37% GOP, 19% IND
Restorationist (Church of Christ): 50% GOP, 39% DEM, 11% IND
Pentecostal (Assemblies of God): 57% GOP, 27% DEM, 17% IND
Baptist (Southern): 64% GOP, 26% DEM, 10% IND
Non-Denominational Evangelical: 69% GOP, 18% DEM, 12% IND
Mormon (LDS): 71% GOP, 18% DEM, 11% IND

* I do not care how Pew defines these, haha.  I went to a Missouri Synod church when I was younger (I have gone to an ELCA one for 20+ years now), and absolutely nobody felt more in common with some Baptist than an ELCA Lutheran ... it's frickin' Mainline, period.

For what it's worth, your experience might be valid in terms of your LCMS church, but the PCA people I've known are much more plugged in with the broader evangelical community than with a PCUSA church.  It might be a regional thing, though, especially in areas with weaker mainline churches and stronger evangelical ones.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies