Why is Rubio running?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:37:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why is Rubio running?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why is Rubio running?  (Read 2398 times)
bobloblaw
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 04:49:42 PM »
« edited: April 13, 2015, 04:51:36 PM by bobloblaw »

He has nothing to lose.

If he doesnt get the nomination he might get VP. If the GOP ticket loses he can run for Sen in FL in 2018 with an unpopular Dem president and a 76 year old Ben Nelson. He becomes the instant GOP favorite and likely winner.

Or he can run in 2020.
bobloblaw
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 04:50:47 PM »

Question here. At what point does Rubio have to submit his resignation now that he's announced for President?
I don't think he would resign unless he clinched the nomination. But he definitely will have to announce that he isn't running for reelection.

Like Obama and JFK did huh?
bobloblaw
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 04:52:08 PM »

Question here. At what point does Rubio have to submit his resignation now that he's announced for President?
I don't think he would resign unless he clinched the nomination. But he definitely will have to announce that he isn't running for reelection.

Like Obama, Kerry, Mcgovern, McCain and JFK did huh?  Only Dole fell for that nonsense
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »

He's not running for reelection whether he wins the nomination or not.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 05:14:02 PM »

Like Obama, Kerry, Mcgovern, McCain and JFK did huh?  Only Dole fell for that nonsense

None of those people were up for re-election the year they were running for President. Rubio will definitely have to lameduck his seat if he won the nomination. I believe it's the law in most states including Florida.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 05:52:46 PM »

Like Obama and JFK did huh?

Florida law says that if you run for another office while you currently hold another office, you have to submit an irrevocable resignation effective before your new office begins. That's how Wayne Mixson ended up as the Governor of Florida for 3 days when Bob Graham moved to the Senate.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »

He has a shot at winning, especially if Walker or Jeb stumbles. He has political talent, and demographic appeal.

If he loses the primary, he's a good running mate to certain potential presidential candidates (Walker, Kasich.)

And he can run for Governor in 2018.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 08:00:32 PM »

Ego aside, he probably feels he defied the odds before and can do it again, despite the scenarios being rather different.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 08:47:45 PM »

Never.  His current term ends on Jan. 3rd, 2017.  So even if he's elected president, he won't be sworn in until a couple of weeks after his term in the Senate is over.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 08:58:37 PM »

Masochism
ChainsawJedis
Tj Hare
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 09:44:05 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2015, 09:46:15 PM by Tj Hare »

Rubio feels that he can be the Republican JFK. A young, optimistic senator who has been underrated by the media. He wasn't picked by Mitt Romney in 2012 for vice president because he was seen as "green". Some people feel that he's too inexperienced to run in 2016 as well. If he doesn't win the presidency, I see him running for governor in 2018 to get to the presidency in 2024, should a Republican or a Democrat win a second term in 2020.

This is what I have been thinking all day. He is a young, catholic, attractive guy with an attractive wife that is presenting an image of moving forward for the country after years of stagnation ("Let's get America Moving Again" VS "A New American Century.") Plus a young attractive (former Miami Dolphins cheerleader) wife. I think it kind of shows the shift in the kind of person a young American would get behind and sympathize with. JFK being this kind of white pretty boy from a big affluent that had everything, I feel that was something a young person would want to emmulate coming out of the 1950's. Where with Rubio it is kind of this story of someone ethnically different who rose out of hardship to become president (not disimilar to Obama, although I doubt Rubio would want that comparison drawn for obvious reasons) which I feel like plays into the modern age where anti-heros with a shady background are the big thing on tv and in film, where as in the 1950's it was this wholesome, big family leave it to beaver thing JFK sort of personified (Not to say JFK was wholesome at all, if you know anything about his and his brothers extramarital affairs).

Personally I really like Rubio's story and I think he is one of the best speakers in the 2016 race that inspires you about America. Cruz is a great speaker too, but in more of that Joseph McCarthy style. I wish I could say I would vote for him, he does seem to be willing to work across party lines, but his foreign policy views I feel would lead us down a terrible path. I honestly think he has a good chance of getting the nomination though, and is probably the parties best shot in the GE. Even if he doesn't he could be a good VP to someone like Walker or Paul and set himself p for a 2024 run as the experienced (but still not elderly) candidate.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies