The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:20:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 85
Author Topic: The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction  (Read 388229 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: March 20, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »

Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #1526 on: March 22, 2014, 01:46:59 AM »

Shame that Hollywood is dominated today by vapid bourgeois liberals (not to mention the literal Pentagon propaganda that is most action films) instead of the good old days when half of them were card-carrying Communists.
The "communists" of the 1950s were bored bourgeois liberals trying to be edgy. Much like you, actually.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1527 on: March 22, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »

Georgetown students just love illegal dorm room science projects.
You went to Georgetown?
I thought he goes to Berkeley.
At least he doesn't go to Oxford.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1528 on: March 24, 2014, 07:26:01 AM »

I'm sorry Oakvale but really, the act is getting old.

Yeah, we get it, you're not a "True Leftist".
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1529 on: March 24, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »

I'm really kind of surprised that "the Thatcher/Reagan reforms of the 80s were hamfistedly and oftentimes sociopathically implemented but ultimately necessary" is apparently some kind of edgy troll position to take.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1530 on: March 24, 2014, 08:12:25 AM »

I'm really kind of surprised that "the Thatcher/Reagan reforms of the 80s were hamfistedly and oftentimes sociopathically implemented but ultimately necessary" is apparently some kind of edgy troll position to take.

You can make that argument, but even if, not sure how Reagan is in any way necessary. You could have gotten the reforms without the idiocy and recklessness of Reagan.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1531 on: March 24, 2014, 08:21:10 AM »

You can make that argument, but even if, not sure how Reagan is in any way necessary. You could have gotten the reforms without the idiocy and recklessness of Reagan.

There's also the less quantifiable argument that the goofy optimism and nationalist swagger of a Reagan was necessary on a psychological level after the malaise of the Nixon-Carter-Ford era.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1532 on: March 24, 2014, 08:51:34 AM »

There's also the less quantifiable argument that the goofy optimism and nationalist swagger of a Reagan was necessary on a psychological level after the malaise of the Nixon-Carter-Ford era.

One can question at what cost.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1533 on: March 24, 2014, 10:20:24 AM »

Oakvale is basically correct and I'd question the notion that the people weren't important in both of those cases. I sort of suspect they were actually.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1534 on: March 24, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »

One can question at what cost.

Edgy troll position? More like concern troll position.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1535 on: March 24, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »

Disagree.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1536 on: March 24, 2014, 12:15:44 PM »

Wow. I actually agree with Gully.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #1537 on: March 24, 2014, 12:26:24 PM »

And I agreed with Cassius on Ian Paisley the other day. Go figure.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1538 on: March 24, 2014, 12:31:45 PM »

Yeah, 10 years and never yet for me.  But there is hope.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1539 on: March 24, 2014, 01:50:26 PM »

HP.  He may have gotten it right in 2012, but he was constantly predicting that Obama had an 80% chance of reelection.  Of course, Obama did win, but his chances were never THAT high.  And what's worse is that almost everyone (especially here) takes his predictions as gospel.

I tend to take his mathematical analysis more seriously that the opinion of a hack such as yourself.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1540 on: March 24, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »

Blue state, are you effing kidding? 

Blue state -

Red state -

After you get to Claude and take a picture of the traffic light

Keep heading south another five miles:

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1541 on: March 24, 2014, 11:34:48 PM »

The real problem with oakvale's statement is that it's pretty much the epitome of Moderate Heroism that he's mocked before. "Reagan and Thatcher's reforms were needed but they went TOO FAR." That's basically something that could come directly from benconstine.

At least without the elaboration on what specifically he's referring to. Don't see how you can argue things like arming terrorists and propping up apartheid are needed, just taken too far.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1542 on: March 25, 2014, 11:51:19 AM »

HP.  He may have gotten it right in 2012, but he was constantly predicting that Obama had an 80% chance of reelection.  Of course, Obama did win, but his chances were never THAT high.  And what's worse is that almost everyone (especially here) takes his predictions as gospel.

I tend to take his mathematical analysis more seriously that the opinion of a hack such as yourself.

Touche Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1543 on: March 26, 2014, 04:58:34 AM »

If Bushie's family's men's forte is 'out on the grill', and they don't have a grill, perhaps they should consider developing a forte that isn't 'out on the grill'.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1544 on: March 26, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »

Guntoker nails me good here.  Smiley

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1545 on: March 26, 2014, 06:11:13 PM »

What incentive do they have to fix the United States? If we're giving them pay incentives, we could do the same thing for US citizens.

None of our politicians have economics degrees or rigorous business training, which should be a minimum prerequisite for anyone who controls $3T in government revenue.

Reagan, HW Bush, Clinton, W Bush all had economics or MBAs from prestigious institutions. Obama does not.

Ah, yes, because a degree from that vaunted hive of great minds, Eureka College, trumps Harvard Law School any day of the week.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1546 on: March 27, 2014, 05:35:53 AM »

I think this counts as self-burn.

Finnegan's Wake is a book with a continuing plotline, I would be very confused reading Obamanation's posting history with no context, it would be very confusing.

That doesn't change that the Twilight series has more literary value than Finnegans Wake.

Hey everyone is entitled to there opinion but I am curious, what 'literature' do you like?

Most books I read are "scene", seriously. Things like compilations of zine articles from certain scenes and eras, or journal compilations of the same style, stuff like that. Sometimes it's actually fictionalized though but with the plot sort of being the same, stuff happening in the scene. Or compilations of essays and social commentary from people involved in it.

Otherwise I'm actually bigger on short stories. I've only read like one Stephen King book the whole through (The Gunslinger) but I like all his short story compilations I've read. The last full length novels I read were all the Ingress tie-in novels.

Also, I think the problem here is that BRTD doesn't understand what Oakvale is saying. But it's perfectly comprehensible to me.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1547 on: March 27, 2014, 02:28:42 PM »

Makes sense since it is not in any way a currency.
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't actually the thing it says it is.

For example, your dismissive outrage at things you don't like could be a form of currency.  Not one that anybody willingly accepts... but one that is used by you nearly constantly on this forum.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1548 on: March 27, 2014, 04:55:56 PM »

I know very little about de Blasio's tenure so far, but the ban on horse carriages cements him as a solid FF in my book.
Do you work in the glue industry or something?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1549 on: March 28, 2014, 05:14:43 AM »

Makes sense since it is not in any way a currency.
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't actually the thing it says it is.

For example, your dismissive outrage at things you don't like could be a form of currency.  Not one that anybody willingly accepts... but one that is used by you nearly constantly on this forum.

lol
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies