NY: Trump on Trial!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:43:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Trump on Trial!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 98
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: NY: Trump on Trial!  (Read 69290 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: April 01, 2024, 05:07:18 PM »

Apparently, the judge's daughter had a picture of Trump behind bars in her twitter account, and she was/is partner of this company that publicly claims to serve Biden, Whitmer, Hobbs, and other Dems: https://authentic.org/case-studies/

I think Trump can fairly bring up the judge's daughter to argue possible bias, so long as he doesn't say anything violent or threatening . Defendant should get leeway in these matters

No, she did not. Please get your facts straight.

She is a partner or president (not sure which) at authentic.org, which has heavy Democratic ties. You get your facts straight

Missed this:

Apparently, the judge's daughter had a picture of Trump behind bars in her twitter account,

The court said it's not her account, that she deleted her account and then someone scooped up the screename and posted that pic.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4561622-trump-attacks-on-judges-daughter-based-on-fake-account-court/

Now this:

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1626 on: April 01, 2024, 07:12:17 PM »

The judge has expanded the gag order to include family of court staff and the DA's office in the election interference case.

I'm sure Bruce will be along with all the legal X posts shortly but for now I'm breaking the news.

Woohoo! I'm going to celebrate with leftover mini eggs now.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1627 on: April 01, 2024, 07:21:33 PM »

The judge has expanded the gag order to include family of court staff and the DA's office in the election interference case.

I'm sure Bruce will be along with all the legal X posts shortly but for now I'm breaking the news.

Woohoo! I'm going to celebrate with leftover mini eggs now.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1628 on: April 01, 2024, 07:57:59 PM »

I'm proud of the judge for doing the right thing, upholding the rule of law, and silencing these baseless, incessant, and dangerous attacks on an innocent woman.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1629 on: April 01, 2024, 08:48:40 PM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1630 on: April 02, 2024, 01:18:15 AM »

So if the criminal organization head who's been threatening witnesses for ages threatens too many more people in the next two weeks, the court won't give him the names of the jury members he needs to threaten. Yeah, that'll show him.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1631 on: April 02, 2024, 07:27:49 AM »

I assume the reason it's a compelling disadvantage because they can't research them. (Although I'm not sure if it's just Trump or the defense team that would be denied the names.) That could affect how they tailor their presentation. Trump can't threaten the jurors from a practical perspective. It's one of the few grounds the prosecution can use to appeal an acquittal.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1632 on: April 02, 2024, 11:14:28 AM »

Donald appears to have violated the expanded gag order by reposting FOX News stories repeating the same information he was spreading earlier.
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-may-have-violated-gag-order-juan-merchan-hush-money-trial-1886027
Ron Filipkowski, a former prosecutor and the editor-in-chief of the liberal outlet MeidasTouch, wrote on social media Tuesday that Trump had violated the order by sharing a clip from Fox News on his Truth Social platform.

"Trump violates his gag order this morning by posting a clip of Brian Kilmeade repeating the same fake story about a fake social media account supposedly from the judge's daughter that led to the gag order being extended," Filipkowski wrote on X, formerly Twitter.

Xitter link:
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1775145891336270125

Gag orders mean nothing until and unless he's jailed for violating them. I'm no lawyer, so I don't know whether this counts as an indisputable violation - Donald pushes boundaries a great deal.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1633 on: April 02, 2024, 03:52:41 PM »

The "how can this judge possibly be unbiased given how much I've attacked him?" strategy of Trump's is probably one of the most craven abuses of our legal system we've ever seen.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1634 on: April 02, 2024, 04:50:12 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1635 on: April 03, 2024, 10:53:15 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1636 on: April 03, 2024, 12:08:03 PM »

I am also confident that they can find 12+ Manhattanites who can set aside what they know about Trump and what they know about this case to judge his guilt or lack thereof solely based on the evidence presented at trial. Most jurors take the job seriously, feel the gravity of the moment, and rise to the occasion.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1637 on: April 03, 2024, 12:50:56 PM »

I am also confident that they can find 12+ Manhattanites who can set aside what they know about Trump and what they know about this case to judge his guilt or lack thereof solely based on the evidence presented at trial. Most jurors take the job seriously, feel the gravity of the moment, and rise to the occasion.

Absolutely not. Jurors are forces of darkness, making decisions on what will be totally unknowable and oftentimes irrelevant criteria. No matter how good or bad a case is, nobody can be sure what the forces of darkness will care about or how they will act when they get their hands on it. That, as much as any other reason, is why so many cases resolve in plea deals.

Also, while I agree that the Trump team did no favors to themselves by putting out that survey, its wrong to treat the answers that were highlighted the same. While the "definitely" people would be fine if you said you could only "probably" put your opinions aside and rule on the evidence that'd be grounds to strike you. In my jury selections I compare it to landing a plane. If you say you can "probably" land the plane safely its going to be treated as a no.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1638 on: April 03, 2024, 12:56:21 PM »

Given this case starts a week from Monday can we update the thread title?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1639 on: April 03, 2024, 01:06:07 PM »

Absolutely not. Jurors are forces of darkness, making decisions on what will be totally unknowable and oftentimes irrelevant criteria. No matter how good or bad a case is, nobody can be sure what the forces of darkness will care about or how they will act when they get their hands on it. That, as much as any other reason, is why so many cases resolve in plea deals.

Well I don't agree with you. I believe they rise to the occasion.

Moreover, what verdict they come up with, and the litigants' lack of foreknowledge, has nothing to do with whether the jurors properly did their job or not.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1640 on: April 03, 2024, 01:15:04 PM »

Also, while I agree that the Trump team did no favors to themselves by putting out that survey, its wrong to treat the answers that were highlighted the same. While the "definitely" people would be fine if you said you could only "probably" put your opinions aside and rule on the evidence that'd be grounds to strike you. In my jury selections I compare it to landing a plane. If you say you can "probably" land the plane safely its going to be treated as a no.

Fair enough.  When I've served on juries, we felt the same way about the lawyers.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1641 on: April 03, 2024, 03:31:22 PM »

We only got Month left of this man, and we won't ever have to hear Trump is Prez
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1642 on: April 03, 2024, 03:50:31 PM »

Judge just denied Trump's immunity claim (to strike evidence Trump claims is connected to official acts he took as President), says it's too late to litigate that at this point.

This is separate from his claim of immunity from prosecution which he lost and then elected to stop appealing (because it would present conflicting arguments with his 14th Amendment cases).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1643 on: April 03, 2024, 04:26:04 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1644 on: April 03, 2024, 06:45:41 PM »

I'm proud of the judge for doing the right thing, upholding the rule of law, and silencing these baseless, incessant, and dangerous attacks on an innocent woman.

Bro refuses to miss:

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #1645 on: April 04, 2024, 01:10:49 PM »

The start of the trial is near.
What can Trump do to cause another delay?

He will attempt to change venue after the jury selection.
But can he do anything right now?

Maybe fire his lawyers for incompetence?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1646 on: April 04, 2024, 01:15:23 PM »

I'm not sure there's anything he can do since the judge has now stated he sees these last minute efforts as disingenuous. I think the judge has to approve the attorneys leaving the case so maybe even that wouldn't work. I think he will keep trying things though because it diverts the prosecution's attention away from the case when it has to respond to all these filings.
mjba257
United States
« Reply #1647 on: April 04, 2024, 01:36:59 PM »

I'm not sure there's anything he can do since the judge has now stated he sees these last minute efforts as disingenuous. I think the judge has to approve the attorneys leaving the case so maybe even that wouldn't work. I think he will keep trying things though because it diverts the prosecution's attention away from the case when it has to respond to all these filings.

This case is a joke and should be thrown out and I say this as somebody who loathes Trump and wishes he'd just kick the bucket already. The fact that this judge hasn't tossed this case proves that he's a hack because any legitimate honest judge would've dismissed it.

Trump's best strategy is to delay. He's not getting a fair trial in Manhattan. He could try and fire his lawyers and if that doesn't work, feign illness. I do wonder what would happen if he just hunkered down in Mar-a-Lago and refused to show up? New York courts have zero jurisdiction over Florida and DeSantis could block any extradition requests.

Perhaps GOP governors could come together and economically boycott New York state until the case is dropped (i.e bar official travel, prohibit trade, ban flights, etc?)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1648 on: April 04, 2024, 01:40:53 PM »

This case is a joke and should be thrown out and I say this as somebody who loathes Trump and wishes he'd just kick the bucket already. The fact that this judge hasn't tossed this case proves that he's a hack because any legitimate honest judge would've dismissed it.

Trump's best strategy is to delay. He's not getting a fair trial in Manhattan. He could try and fire his lawyers and if that doesn't work, feign illness. I do wonder what would happen if he just hunkered down in Mar-a-Lago and refused to show up? New York courts have zero jurisdiction over Florida and DeSantis could block any extradition requests.

Perhaps GOP governors could come together and economically boycott New York state until the case is dropped (i.e bar official travel, prohibit trade, ban flights, etc?)

Nice try but two federal judges have signalled that the case is serious.
Try harder next time "Trump hater".
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1649 on: April 04, 2024, 01:47:39 PM »

Nice try but two federal judges have signalled that the case is serious.
Try harder next time "Trump hater".

Yeah, disagreeing with the strength of the case is one thing (and many people do).  If it's truly that weak, he'll either be acquitted or have a guilty verdict overturned on appeal.  But suggesting that red states band together to keep Trump a fugitive from justice and retaliate for his prosecution?  mjba257 is clearly no Trump hater.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies