Cruz says he's "in between" McCain and Paul on foreign policy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:59:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Cruz says he's "in between" McCain and Paul on foreign policy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Cruz says he's "in between" McCain and Paul on foreign policy  (Read 2886 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »

Chuck Schumer is somewhere in between Kirsten Gillibrand and Andrew Cuomo on being a liberal from New York.

Kirsten Gillibrand was a blue dog until she realized how unpopular it was to be a blue dog.

No. Members of the House are, theoretically, meant to be a delegate who serves on behalf of the interests of their constituency, hence serving/voting as a blue dog from 2007-2008 due to serving a very conservative district. Senators, however, are meant to be more autonomous from the will of the people (though still meant to serve them, of course), hence the 6-year terms and the original stipulation that Senators were appointed by the state legislature rather than elected directly. Incidentally, her constituency is also a whole lot more liberal now, but that's not the sole or main reason for her shift; Gillibrand, unlike most Americans, actually understands and subscribes to the difference in what it means to be a Representative and a Senator and did both of her jobs well. Any attempts by members of either party to categorize her as a Romney-esque flip-flopper will fail to gain traction.

Yawn.

BUT ROMNEY WAS RUNNING FOR A NATIONAL ELECTORATE, SO HE'S NOT A FLIP FLOPPER.

Hack.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »

Chuck Schumer is somewhere in between Kirsten Gillibrand and Andrew Cuomo on being a liberal from New York.

Kirsten Gillibrand was a blue dog until she realized how unpopular it was to be a blue dog.

No. Members of the House are, theoretically, meant to be a delegate who serves on behalf of the interests of their constituency, hence serving/voting as a blue dog from 2007-2008 due to serving a very conservative district. Senators, however, are meant to be more autonomous from the will of the people (though still meant to serve them, of course), hence the 6-year terms and the original stipulation that Senators were appointed by the state legislature rather than elected directly. Incidentally, her constituency is also a whole lot more liberal now, but that's not the sole or main reason for her shift; Gillibrand, unlike most Americans, actually understands and subscribes to the difference in what it means to be a Representative and a Senator and did both of her jobs well. Any attempts by members of either party to categorize her as a Romney-esque flip-flopper will fail to gain traction.

Yawn.

Hack.

You are the hack.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »

Yawn.

Hack.

You are the hack.

I'm not the one pretending independence when you endorse 99% Democratic candidates.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »

Yawn.

Hack.

You are the hack.

I'm not the one pretending independence when you endorse 99% Democratic candidates.

I'm not a Democrat, but I am hugely liberal, so obviously the Democratic candidates in upcoming cycles are the ones that appeal to me more. "Independent" does not mean "moderate." If you want to know the reasons I'm not a Democrat, then I will share them with you, but I'm not trying to call myself a moderate or deny that I'm very liberal by using a green avatar instead of a read one.
Kevinstat

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 05:24:32 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2013, 05:35:54 PM by Kevinstat »

Yawn.

Hack.

You are the hack.

I'm not a Democrat, but I am hugely liberal, so obviously the Democratic candidates in upcoming cycles are the ones that appeal to me more. "Independent" does not mean "moderate." If you want to know the reasons I'm not a Democrat, then I will share them with you, but I'm not trying to call myself a moderate or deny that I'm very liberal by using a green avatar instead of a read one.

I am somewhere between you two and Abe Lincoln on hackishness.
Kevinstat

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 06:10:47 PM »

I don't even know the two people I just dissed, but when the thought occurred to me, I couldn't resist.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies