COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:13:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 211 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 540298 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5125 on: July 19, 2021, 06:34:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure all this means is that if they self report their vaccination they no longer have to take and self-report their temperature before entering the workplace. I guess it's kind of a vaccine passport, but they don't have to prove it and they're not prevented from going anywhere, just have to do the temp screening.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #5126 on: July 19, 2021, 07:10:09 PM »

I can't believe Fox News of all places would go full communist like this.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5127 on: July 19, 2021, 07:33:36 PM »

FoX News now has a vaccine passport for its employees.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5128 on: July 19, 2021, 07:52:46 PM »

If the media really has a liberal bias and isn't dumber than hell, by the end of the year, Republicans will be seen as literal vermin.
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5129 on: July 19, 2021, 08:00:07 PM »

Is there any proof that Delta has mutated to be more transmissible in hot/humid weather? Places like SE Asia and Indonesia are just now starting to be hit hard after being largely spared in the early days.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5130 on: July 19, 2021, 08:56:08 PM »

Is there any proof that Delta has mutated to be more transmissible in hot/humid weather? Places like SE Asia and Indonesia are just now starting to be hit hard after being largely spared in the early days.

Monsoon season is often cooler than the preceding spring, at least in India. Temperatures soar to dangerous levels before the monsoon begins. April is the hottest month in much of India.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5131 on: July 19, 2021, 08:57:55 PM »

LMAO.
Are you sh**tting me?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5132 on: July 19, 2021, 09:01:33 PM »

LMAO.
Are you sh**tting me?

I posted in Part 6 but I don't think it really constitutes a vaccine passport. Currently they have to take their temperature and self-report that everyday before entering the workplace. If they self-report they're vaccinated, they don't have to do that anymore. They don't have to prove they're vaccinated, and being vaccinated just lets them skip the self-reported daily health screening.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5133 on: July 19, 2021, 09:06:34 PM »

LMAO.
Are you sh**tting me?

I posted in Part 6 but I don't think it really constitutes a vaccine passport. Currently they have to take their temperature and self-report that everyday before entering the workplace. If they self-report they're vaccinated, they don't have to do that anymore. They don't have to prove they're vaccinated, and being vaccinated just lets them skip the self-reported daily health screening.

That is absolutely hilarious.
What a bunch of hypocrites. Have the NutJob Fox Commentators discussed it yet. Would love to hear their excuses. LOL.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5134 on: July 19, 2021, 09:07:54 PM »

LMAO.
Are you sh**tting me?

That is absolutely hilarious.
What a bunch of hypocrites. Have the NutJob Fox Commentators discussed it yet. Would love to hear their excuses. LOL.

Doesn't seem too different from the policy of most other places of employment I've seen, with the exception that proof of vaccination is also necessary.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5135 on: July 19, 2021, 09:09:39 PM »

LMAO.
Are you sh**tting me?

They're still going beyond what they'd claim was communism and authoritarianism if anyone else instituted it.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5136 on: July 19, 2021, 09:36:34 PM »

If the media really has a liberal bias and isn't dumber than hell, by the end of the year, Republicans will be seen as literal vermin.

Yes, but that's true every year.

Currently, their cult leader Donnie Dumb**** is demanding more praise from people for pretending to create the vaccine he demands they don't take in hopes large numbers of them will die and make the guy who defeated him look bad. 

"Vermin" is really too generous.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5137 on: July 19, 2021, 09:41:53 PM »

Something worth noting as the talk of breakthrough cases is on the rise, it appears the adverse outcomes are lower than what the media is reporting, as they're reporting the numbers without context:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

Essentially, suppose you go to the hospital for appendicitis or car accident, are fully vaccinated, you're tested and come back positive (without symptoms) you'll still be counted as a breakthrough hospitalization.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5138 on: July 19, 2021, 09:51:51 PM »

Something worth noting as the talk of breakthrough cases is on the rise, it appears the adverse outcomes are lower than what the media is reporting, as they're reporting the numbers without context:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

Essentially, suppose you go to the hospital for appendicitis or car accident, are fully vaccinated, you're tested and come back positive (without symptoms) you'll still be counted as a breakthrough hospitalization.

Yet another reason the media is the Enemy of the People. Constant fearmongering.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5139 on: July 19, 2021, 10:56:35 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2021, 11:05:24 PM by Calthrina950 »

I also came across this article, which talks about the debate over whether or not to reintroduce mask mandates. It seems like many health experts, including the Surgeon-General, believe that the decision of Los Angeles County to reimpose a mask mandate is "appropriate", and that they wouldn't be surprised if other jurisdictions followed suit. They once again emphasized the importance of wearing masks to protect others and retard the virus' spread. But there also seems to be an acknowledgement among some experts that reimposing such mandates would be a step backwards and would be frustrating to much of the public.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5140 on: July 19, 2021, 11:45:20 PM »

Jurisdictions with high incidences (and this can include counties or states alike) need to impose or restart mask mandates. Getting along without a mask is now mostly a "trust me" proposition. People can lie without consequences.

I have never been asked to show my vaccination certificate, although I keep a photograph of it on my photo card and my cell phone in case anyone asks. I'd rather wear a mask than show my card and risk losing it.

People are still contracting COVID-19. The delta variant seems to be no less hideous than the original. Most viruses become more contagious but less lethal over time... I am not sure about this one. I can't predict the death rate of current infections.

The risk of getting sick from COVID-19 just is not worth the consequences -- death, organ damage, diabetes, sexual dysfunction, and who knows what else? There is no good way to go, but slow suffocation while on a ventilator is not a good way to go.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5141 on: July 20, 2021, 07:29:55 AM »

Currently, their cult leader Donnie Dumb**** is demanding more praise from people for pretending to create the vaccine he demands they don't take in hopes large numbers of them will die and make the guy who defeated him look bad. 

By "vermin", I literally mean "vermin" like rats, fleas, and roaches. Disease vectors.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5142 on: July 20, 2021, 08:19:56 AM »

How likely is it the country locks down again? I recently got a job at our local movie theater and our business is booming. We had our best weekend yet with Black Widow and Space Jam 2. I would hate for us to close down again.

Biden has consistently said he's against nationwide lockdowns. Things may be different with your state/local officials.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5143 on: July 20, 2021, 08:24:14 AM »

How likely is it the country locks down again? I recently got a job at our local movie theater and our business is booming. We had our best weekend yet with Black Widow and Space Jam 2. I would hate for us to close down again.

Biden has consistently said he's against nationwide lockdowns. Things may be different with your state/local officials.

Unless we start seeing hospitalizations and deaths skyrocket again, I imagine any local government would have a very hard time authorizing another lockdown without protests that would dwarf anything seen before.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5144 on: July 20, 2021, 09:21:56 AM »

By "vermin", I literally mean "vermin" like rats, fleas, and roaches. Disease vectors.

Shouldn't be confused with perennial Libertarian candidate Supreme Vermin
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5145 on: July 20, 2021, 09:52:28 AM »

Unless we start seeing hospitalizations and deaths skyrocket again, I imagine any local government would have a very hard time authorizing another lockdown without protests that would dwarf anything seen before.

There will never be any business closures in the United States. The political will is gone and lockdowns have been largely discredited. As soon as you lift restrictions, the virus comes surges back.

Covid eradication ain't gonna happen. Especially with the entire world not cooperating.  Learn to live with it.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5146 on: July 20, 2021, 11:46:51 AM »

At this point, Donald Trump is one day less than six months away from "still being President", and the Delta mutation of COVID-19/SARS-2 is giving an unwelcome resurgence to a horrid disease. I suggest starting a new thread to this effect and closing this one, with the caveat that the infection and death counts be allowed to migrate to (COVID-19 Megathread 7.

Yes.  It's insane that this thread is now over 200 pages long.  I'd have to imagine it's by far the longest thread on this site and the name is just utter nonsense.  I really don't understand the mods' stubbornness on this.

COVID-19 Megathread 7:  Delta takes over

It's really that simple.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5147 on: July 20, 2021, 11:55:07 AM »

On USG maybe but I think the 2020 election night thread (over 800 pages) is the longest.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5148 on: July 20, 2021, 11:46:51 PM »

There will never be any business closures in the United States. The political will is gone and lockdowns have been largely discredited. As soon as you lift restrictions, the virus comes surges back.

Covid eradication ain't gonna happen. Especially with the entire world not cooperating.  Learn to live with it.

The best chance of eradicating covid would've been a global lockdown for about six weeks at the start of this, which would've likely been untenable even then as global coordination and cooperation would've been required.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5149 on: July 20, 2021, 11:51:19 PM »

US life expectancy falls by more than a year due to Covid-19 pandemic, CDC study says

Life expectancy in the United States fell by a year and a half in 2020 primarily due to increases in death due to the Covid-19 pandemic, according to early data released by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"U.S. life expectancy at birth for 2020, based on nearly final data, was 77.3 years, the lowest it has been since 2003," researchers at the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics wrote in a new report published on Wednesday.

US life expectancy declined from 78.8 years in 2019 to 77.3 years in 2020, the researchers reported, and Covid-19 deaths contributed to 73.8% of that decline.

The report was based on provisional data from death and birth records for the year 2020, processed by the National Center for Health Statistics. Since the study relied on recorded deaths and births, some deaths or births that had not yet been counted or recorded were not included in the early data.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/21/health/life-expectancy-covid-19-pandemic-cdc-study-wellness/index.html

I feel like this was reported a few months ago, but this is apparently a new study.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 211 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies