Alternate Presidential Election maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:05:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Alternate Presidential Election maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Alternate Presidential Election maps  (Read 21901 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 02:21:57 AM »
« edited: August 27, 2009, 02:59:33 AM by Mechman »

1952:

Thomas E. Dewey (NY)/Earl Warren (CA) (Republican) 403 evs 42.52% pv
Richard Russell Jr. (GA)/John Sparkman (AL) (Democratic) 65 evs 26.62% pv
Adlai E. Stevenson II (IL)/Robert S. Kerr (OK) (Progressive) 63 evs 30.86% pv
There are some regional third parties running, but the third party vote is so insignificant it barely registers. Due to general satisfaction with the Dewey administration, the GOP wins a landslide.

1956:

Lyndon B. Johnson (TX)/Ronald Reagan (CA) (Democratic) 280 evs 36.23% pv
Adlai E Stevenson II (IL)/Nelson Rockefeller (NY) (Progressive) 156 evs 33.43% pv
Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. (MA)/Richard M. Nixon (CA) (Republican) 95 evs 30.34% pv
Third party vote is almost nil. Democrats win campaigning on the economy (unemployment growing, plus selling the Democratic position as the rational position compared to the laissez faire philosophy of the Republican Party and the staunch government interventionalist Progressive Party) and the need for a big military budget (GOP and Progressive Parties are both historically anti big military budget). The presence of New York Progressive Senator Nelson Rockefeller helps the Progressive Party win New York and Illinois for the first time since 1940.

1960:

Nelson Rockefeller (NY)/Hiram Fong (HI) (Progressive) 299 evs 33.89% pv
Lyndon B. Johnson (TX)/Ronald Reagan (CA) (Democratic) 148 evs 33.45% pv
William Scranton (PA)/Margaret Chase Smith (ME) (Republican) 91 evs 32.66% pv
Although the Progressive ticket of Nelson Rockefeller and Hiram Fong won a decisive electoral victory over the Democratic and Republican tickets, the popular vote was very close between all three tickets. The popularity of the Civil Rights Movement, as well as the previous administrations failure to end the job slump started during the Dewey administration, helped the Progressives win their first presidential election in 20 years.

1964:

Richard M. Nixon (CA)/John Chafee (RI) (Republican) 456 evs 49.72% pv
Barry Goldwater (AZ)/John G. Tower (TX) (Democratic) 42 evs 26.21% pv
Michael Mansfield (MT)/William Proxmire (WI) (Progressive) 40 evs 24.07% pv
Rockefeller become involved in an affair with a woman named Happy and it destroys his marriage, as well as any chance of him winning re-election. Revelations about vice president Hiram Fong's past as a transexual hooker come to light also, dooming any chance he has of succeeding Rockefeller. Instead the quite leftist ticket of Senator Mike Mansfield of Montana and fellow Senator William Proxmire of Wisconsin win the nod. The conservative faction wins over the moderate faction in the Democratic party. The end result: Two extremist tickets against the quite moderate Republican ticket of former Senator Richard M. Nixon of California and Governor John Chafee of Rhode Island.

1968:

Eugene McCarthy (MN)/George McGovern (SD) (Progressive) 229 evs 35.79% pv
Ronald Reagan (CA)/Robert F. Kennedy (MA) (Democratic) 227 evs 36% pv
Richard M. Nixon (NY)/John Chafee (RI) (Republican) 82 evs 28.21% pv
None of the candidates get an electoral majority. It is revealed that Nixon ordered political opponents to be wiretapped and this annhilates the GOP's chances at election. The election goes to the House and Senate 24 years after the last time this situation occured. It would all depend on the makeup of Congress after the election:

Senate:
The Senate ends up with a Republican minority (about 31 seats), a Democratic medium (33 seats), and a Progressive majority (36 seats). Since most of the nation is already pissed at Nixon, enough Republicans go over to the McGovern camp to get a majority rule. George McGovern, via the Senate (53-42-5), is now Vice President elect of the United States.

House:
The House ends up having a Republican minority, a Progressive medium, and a Democratic majority. Like the Senate, it all depends on who the GOP representatives decide who is the lesser evil between Ronald Reagan and Eugene McCarthy. The end result is shocking:

Ronald Reagan 27 states
Eugene McCarthy 14 states
Richard Nixon 9 states
With a very slim majority, Ronald Reagan is elected by the House as the next President of the United States of America. This would mean that the executive branch would have the Democrat Ronald Reagan, who is the face of the new conservative movement, as president and his vice president would be Progressive George McGovern, who is nicknamed "Mr. Progressive". The next four years would be VERY interesting. People are surprised at how resistant some of the GOP was to voting for either Reagan or McCarthy, voting Nixon (alot of the congressmen who voted so later said they personally didn't like Nixon, but couldn't stomach voting for either Reagan or McCarthy) instead of voting for either of the lesser of two evils.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 05:44:04 AM »

Passionating alternate history. I love three-party system though a reform of electoral system appears necessary.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »

Passionating alternate history. I love three-party system though a reform of electoral system appears necessary.

Yes. The electoral system would be reformed in 1970. The reforms will be covered in my next update which will be after lunch (11:40ish-12:40ish). I plan on writing a quick timeline covering the elections covered in this thread (mine of course), maybe even a whole history (like I have been doing in my main timeline).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 01:54:20 PM »

Yes. The electoral system would be reformed in 1970. The reforms will be covered in my next update which will be after lunch (11:40ish-12:40ish). I plan on writing a quick timeline covering the elections covered in this thread (mine of course), maybe even a whole history (like I have been doing in my main timeline).

Good idea. Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 02:40:44 PM »

1944:

President Roosevelt was able to carry out his weirdest plan: alliance with liberal Republicans, led by Wendell Willkie, while allowing conservative Democrats (but still not the Deep South) to remaining Republicans. Liberal Party has been formed.

For strictly electoral purpouses Willkie changed his residence to Indiana Wink

President Franklin D. Roosevelt of New York/Wendell L. Willkie of Indiana (Liberal): 500 ev
Senator Robert A. Taft of Ohio/Senator Styled Bridges of New Hampshire (Republican): 31 ev

1948:

FDR died as in OTL and Willkie became the second Liberal President. Aware of his own health he named Senator Robert M. LaFollette as Secretary of State, then first in the line of succession.

Willkie died in late 1945.

President Robert M. LaFollette of Wisconsin/Senator Claude Pepper of Florida (Liberal): 496 ev
Senator Styles Bridges of New Hampshire/Governor George Mickelson of South Dakota (Republican): 35 ev

1952:

World War II hero General Eisenhower became Republican nominee ans pulled off extremely narrow victory over V.P. Pepper

South, angered on La Follette for civil right bills, voted for GOP

General Dwight D. Eisenhower of Pennsylvania/Senator Andrew Frank Schoeppel of Kanasa (Republican): 275 ev
Vice President Claude D. Pepper/Governor Adial E. Stevenson of Illinois (Progressive): 256 ev
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 02:57:12 PM »

1944:

President Roosevelt was able to carry out his weirdest plan: alliance with liberal Republicans, led by Wendell Willkie, while allowing conservative Democrats (but still not the Deep South) to remaining Republicans. Liberal Party has been formed.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt of New York/Wendell L. Willkie of Indiana (Liberal): 500 ev
Senator Robert A. Taft of Ohio/Senator Styled Bridges of New Hampshire (Republican): 31 ev

1948:

FDR died as in OTL and Willkie became the second Liberal President. Aware of his own health he named Senator Robert M. LaFollette as Secretary of State, then first in the line of succession.

President Robert M. LaFollette of Wisconsin/Senator Claude Pepper of Florida (Liberal): 496 ev
Senator Styles Bridges of New Hampshire/Governor George Mickelson of South Dakota (Republican): 35 ev

1952:

World War II hero General Eisenhower became Republican nominee ans pulled off extremely narrow victory over V.P. Pepper

General Dwight D. Eisenhower of Pennsylvania/Senator Andrew Frank Schoeppel of Kanasa (Republican): 275 ev
Vice President Claude D. Pepper/Governor Adial E. Stevenson of Illinois (Progressive): 256 ev

Very good! Smiley
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 03:10:37 PM »

1944:

1948:

1952:

Excellent!

If only had FDR succeeded in taking the Liberals...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 03:20:11 PM »

The next installments of my presidential election maps shall be in my own thread, to avoid mass confusion and to make inserts like the Electoral College Reformation not seem weird.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 03:35:55 PM »

Very bad year for Liberals, as their nominee Senator Estes Kefauver lost in landslide to popular Einsehower

President Dwight D. Eisenhower of Pennsylvania/Vice President George Mickelson of South Dakota (Republican): 375 ev
Senator Estes Kefauver of Tennessee/Senator Wayne Morse of Oregon (Liberal): 156 ev

1960:

Just thanks to Eisenhower popularity, Vice President Mickelson barerly edged Senator Adlai Stevenson

Vice President George Mickelson of South Dakota/Senator Richard Nixon of California (Republican): 284 ev
Senator Adial E. Stevenson of Illinois/Senator Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota (Liberal): 253 ev
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 03:42:49 PM »

Ass of very unpopular, ineffective and dull President Mickelson has been beaten epic way

Senator Hubert H. Humphrey of Minnesota/Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York (Liberal): 503 ev
President George Mickelson of South Dakota/Vice President Richard Nixon of California (Republican): 35 ev

1968:

No more maps, I'm focusing on autumn
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »

Maps from my TL

1960:

Show Map Link (for use in uselectionatlas.org forum posts only)

Richard Nixon/Henry Cabot Lodge (Republican) 283 EVs 49.8%
John Fitzgerald Kennedy/Lyndon Baines Johnson 235 EVs 49.5%
Henry Byrd/Strom Thurmond (Unpledged Democrat) 15 EVs 0.42% 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies