Shri Thanedar? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 03:12:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Shri Thanedar? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shri Thanedar?  (Read 7224 times)
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« on: April 10, 2018, 03:50:15 PM »

The Illinois Democratic party nominated some corrupt billionaire for governor, so I'm sure Michigan is perfectly capable of nominating someone terrible too.

Thandear is horrible in the worst sort of way - an ideological chameleon who's trying to buy an election. But I find it a little disturbing how much overlap there is in the "JB's the nominee; you've got to support him" crowd with the "Thanedar is terrible; I'll never support him" crowd, specifically in media and the twittersphere. The two seem almost identical to me. Plus, when you consider opponents, Bruce Rauner is an infinitely better choice than Schutte...
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 04:10:32 PM »

The Illinois Democratic party nominated some corrupt billionaire for governor, so I'm sure Michigan is perfectly capable of nominating someone terrible too.

Thandear is horrible in the worst sort of way - an ideological chameleon who's trying to buy an election. But I find it a little disturbing how much overlap there is in the "JB's the nominee; you've got to support him" crowd with the "Thanedar is terrible; I'll never support him" crowd, specifically in media and the twittersphere. The two seem almost identical to me. Plus, when you consider opponents, Bruce Rauner is an infinitely better choice than Schutte...
That's because Thanedar could take the nomination away from their anointed neoliberal, Gretchen Whitmer (who, I will admit, I like much more than Pritzker).

You...err...know that Whitmer isn't a neoliberal by any remote stretch of the imagination, right?  Calling her a neoliberal makes about as much sense as calling Bob Casey "Santorum 2.0" due to his views on abortion or calling Paul Ryan's tax bill "fiscally conservative" just because it included tax cuts.  Come to think of it, I suspect Pritzker isn't really one either (although IDK for sure in his case).  Neoliberal doesn't mean "any person who either has a lot of money and/or is supported by the Democratic establishment." 

Pritzker isn't a neolib. If anything, Bruce Rauner fits the quote-unquote textbook definition of a neoliberal better - decreased government spending, privatization, higher private sector involvement.

Re: Whitmer, she's a fine candidate. Probably the most likely Democrat  to win election (who is running... I firmly believe Duggan would wipe the floor with Schutte, but he isn't running so it isn't a relevant question) although I do suspect Michigan could do better. If I recall my Michigan inside baseball correctly, Whitmer was seen as the more progressive candidate in the invisible primary for Senate, contrasted with the more centrist Peters.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:32:23 PM »

Not to explode this thread too much with the shrapnel of the Hoyer thread, but this race is absolutely one in which the party should weigh in against a candidate with little chance of winning the general - Thanedar. He's an abysmal candidate, with little discernable ideological base/lane who's only winning because $$. Nominating Thanedar would be throwing away a winnable governor's mansion.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 07:10:34 AM »

Not to explode this thread too much with the shrapnel of the Hoyer thread, but this race is absolutely one in which the party should weigh in against a candidate with little chance of winning the general - Thanedar. He's an abysmal candidate, with little discernable ideological base/lane who's only winning because $$. Nominating Thanedar would be throwing away a winnable governor's mansion.

Not to mention that, evidently, he considered running as a Republican. This is not a race where we should have to settle for someone like this.

Absolutely. Maybe he'd be a better candidate somewhere that Dems struggle to compete, but Michigan is generally not that sort of place.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies