Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:50:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 361076 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: April 28, 2020, 03:06:07 PM »

Anyway, if you support Biden there's no reason to push for a VP who's going to dramatically undercut him like Warren
How does Warren undercut him polling indiciates that Biden/Warren is the strongest ticket
Polling at this point is mostly a function of name recognition — most people don't know who most of these options are.

Warren has the obvious downsides (old, white, Senator from a state with an R governor temporarily puts you down 1 in the Senate), but the argument for her has been ideological balancing. This isn't clear to me — if she has real ideological differences with Biden, she will either have to continue to contradict him (not what you want) or bury those differences for the GE (which reduces whatever benefit you have from ideological balancing). The Warren people are saying they'd vote for in that poll will likely not be saying the same things in October, which blunts that advantage
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1026 on: April 28, 2020, 03:22:43 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2020, 03:41:37 PM by Marxist-Cornpopist Thought »

I thought you wanted Biden to win? Are you back on our side?

Oh, I don't want it to be Warren because of an ideological advantage. I want it to be Warren because it'll trigger the busters.

(I actually agree with you on what she brings to the ticket! That's why I said the whole "chaos agent in me" thing)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1027 on: April 28, 2020, 04:47:32 PM »

I imagine this how the elder CBC members feel about Abrams. They want Harris. He endorsed her and she had more CBC endorsements than Biden when she dropped out.

It’s not going to be Abrams. Clyburn has kept it cordial in public but I know he’s telling Biden that’s not the direction he should go.

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1028 on: April 28, 2020, 05:02:09 PM »

I imagine this how the elder CBC members feel about Abrams. They want Harris. He endorsed her and she had more CBC endorsements than Biden when she dropped out.

It’s not going to be Abrams. Clyburn has kept it cordial in public but I know he’s telling Biden that’s not the direction he should go.

Yikes!  That statement from Rep. Clay is beyond shade, it's flat out tree throwing.

It does make sense the CBC would back one of their own members.
jacobmeteorite
jafcontact
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1029 on: April 28, 2020, 05:19:30 PM »

Catherine Cortez Masto would also be the first Italian-American to be VP or president, so she’d be breaking barriers for white people too lmao
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1030 on: April 28, 2020, 05:47:43 PM »

Catherine Cortez Masto would also be the first Italian-American to be VP or president, so she’d be breaking barriers for white people too lmao
Exactly lol. CCM is about as Hispanic as Ted Cruz.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1031 on: April 28, 2020, 06:04:05 PM »

CCM isnt leaving the Senate while Dems are gonna net 50 plus seats and can win in KY, KS, MT and SC, R leaning states. She is in charge of the Senate campaign and Veep will take her duties away from that, its Warren and she wants it
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1032 on: April 28, 2020, 06:09:27 PM »

Politico had a discussion with four Republican past presidential campaign managers and hosted by Tim Alberta.  When asked who Biden should choose as VP, they all said Kamala Harris.

JEFF ROE:   He has to have a balanced ticket. I understand the need to have somebody that can be president. The Democrats have to believe that; the independents have to believe it, but I think Kamala Harris is his only choice. If you believe in base politics, it’s the only choice.

BETH HANSEN: I would say it goes a little bit beyond base. What it gets him—and you said this just a second ago, Jeff—it gets you enough of the base without freaking people out. And that’s the balance. I would argue that he can’t pick somebody that it’s just going to be so clear it’s not a good fit for who he is. I mean, he does have a reputation of [chuckles] 150 years in politics, and people know who he is, and they know that he is a pragmatic, middle of the road, blue collar, centrist, populist kind of a leader. And so, picking somebody that’s just asynchronous for that, I think will not help him. But he’s got to get enough of that intensity and that base and something different. I think you do end up with Kamala Harris.

DANNY DIAZ: I think there’s an argument for Harris, but at the same time, there’s an argument for Warren.

TERRY SULLIVAN: If you want to make sure that you don’t raise any super PAC money, there’d be an argument for Warren, because there’s not a single big donor that’s going to give any super PAC money unless they’re like some total communist, because they’re all scared sh**tless of her. But I think that’s why Harris would be—she’s just left of center enough. She checks a lot of boxes. They’ve got to be able to turn that minority vote out. But most importantly, I think she’s just vanilla enough that she doesn’t scare people. And I think their campaign—and Jeff and I will disagree on this—I think their campaign needs to be very careful to not scare middle-of-the-road voters.

TIM ALBERTA: On the eve of the Michigan primary, Biden held this rally at Renaissance High School in Detroit where he had a number of high-profile surrogates come out. You know who stole the show? It wasn’t Cory Booker. It wasn’t Gretchen Whitmer. It wasn’t Joe Biden. It was Kamala Harris. And I said to people there, “Wouldn’t it have been interesting if she had been waging her presidential campaign in high school gyms in Detroit instead of coffee shops in Des Moines?” It’s just a completely different vibe for her.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/28/2020-campaign-joe-biden-trump-campaign-manager-191169

Honestly I agree with everything they said. Harris is the clear choice.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1033 on: April 28, 2020, 06:13:40 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2020, 06:21:03 PM by Make PA Blue Again! »

Politico had a discussion with four Republican past presidential campaign managers and hosted by Tim Alberta.  When asked who Biden should choose as VP, they all said Kamala Harris.

JEFF ROE:   He has to have a balanced ticket. I understand the need to have somebody that can be president. The Democrats have to believe that; the independents have to believe it, but I think Kamala Harris is his only choice. If you believe in base politics, it’s the only choice.

BETH HANSEN: I would say it goes a little bit beyond base. What it gets him—and you said this just a second ago, Jeff—it gets you enough of the base without freaking people out. And that’s the balance. I would argue that he can’t pick somebody that it’s just going to be so clear it’s not a good fit for who he is. I mean, he does have a reputation of [chuckles] 150 years in politics, and people know who he is, and they know that he is a pragmatic, middle of the road, blue collar, centrist, populist kind of a leader. And so, picking somebody that’s just asynchronous for that, I think will not help him. But he’s got to get enough of that intensity and that base and something different. I think you do end up with Kamala Harris.

DANNY DIAZ: I think there’s an argument for Harris, but at the same time, there’s an argument for Warren.

TERRY SULLIVAN: If you want to make sure that you don’t raise any super PAC money, there’d be an argument for Warren, because there’s not a single big donor that’s going to give any super PAC money unless they’re like some total communist, because they’re all scared sh**tless of her. But I think that’s why Harris would be—she’s just left of center enough. She checks a lot of boxes. They’ve got to be able to turn that minority vote out. But most importantly, I think she’s just vanilla enough that she doesn’t scare people. And I think their campaign—and Jeff and I will disagree on this—I think their campaign needs to be very careful to not scare middle-of-the-road voters.

TIM ALBERTA: On the eve of the Michigan primary, Biden held this rally at Renaissance High School in Detroit where he had a number of high-profile surrogates come out. You know who stole the show? It wasn’t Cory Booker. It wasn’t Gretchen Whitmer. It wasn’t Joe Biden. It was Kamala Harris. And I said to people there, “Wouldn’t it have been interesting if she had been waging her presidential campaign in high school gyms in Detroit instead of coffee shops in Des Moines?” It’s just a completely different vibe for her.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/28/2020-campaign-joe-biden-trump-campaign-manager-191169

I agree. A Biden/Harris ticket just feels so balanced, and they have great chemistry on stage. I think Warren would scare off too many middle-of-the-road voters. Yes, she's great for appealing to the progressives, but they're probably going to vote for Biden no matter who he chooses. They know what's at stake.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1034 on: April 28, 2020, 11:56:16 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2020, 12:02:21 AM by Marxist-Cornpopist Thought »

Politico had a discussion with four Republican past presidential campaign managers and hosted by Tim Alberta.  When asked who Biden should choose as VP, they all said Kamala Harris.

JEFF ROE:   He has to have a balanced ticket. I understand the need to have somebody that can be president. The Democrats have to believe that; the independents have to believe it, but I think Kamala Harris is his only choice. If you believe in base politics, it’s the only choice.

I agree. A Biden/Harris ticket just feels so balanced, and they have great chemistry on stage. I think Warren would scare off too many middle-of-the-road voters. Yes, she's great for appealing to the progressives, but they're probably going to vote for Biden no matter who he chooses. They know what's at stake.

They also knew what was at stake in 2016. Not every progressive is going to be like me and enthusiastically vote for Biden because of the candidate, and I'd highly recommend not taking their votes for granted because it's us or Trump.

Alternatively, you could pick a black progressive like Ayanna Pressley and kill two birds with one stone. Hell, if you want to go really deep, Jahana Hayes would also fit the bill! As I've said before, we have a very deep bench of qualified black women, many of whom I would describe as "progressive-appealing".
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1035 on: April 29, 2020, 12:03:13 AM »

Ted Cruz is actually fluent in Spanish, though.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1036 on: April 29, 2020, 02:08:59 AM »

Ted Cruz is actually fluent in Spanish, though.
No, he isn't lol.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1037 on: April 29, 2020, 03:56:24 AM »

Harris, CCM arent gonna be selected, the memo is Klobuchar or Warren. CCM has a Dem Senatorial Campaign to run, and Dems are expanding the map to include KY, SC, MT, AK, TX and KS.  CCM isnt bailing. Harris said that she isnt moving her family out of SF, but she supports the nominee.

Klobuchar and Warren have Hillary Clinton appeal and Biden already said in 2016, when Hilary ran, he would pick Warren. Since there is an urgency to get Pressley and Kennedy, Generation X politicans in the Senate, Warren will he the nominee
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1038 on: April 29, 2020, 04:17:18 AM »

Harris, CCM arent gonna be selected, the memo is Klobuchar or Warren. CCM has a Dem Senatorial Campaign to run, and Dems are expanding the map to include KY, SC, MT, AK, TX and KS.  CCM isnt bailing. Harris said that she isnt moving her family out of SF, but she supports the nominee.

Klobuchar and Warren have Hillary Clinton appeal and Biden already said in 2016, when Hilary ran, he would pick Warren. Since there is an urgency to get Pressley and Kennedy, Generation X politicans in the Senate, Warren will he the nominee
Does Harris even have family?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1039 on: April 29, 2020, 04:28:42 AM »

Harris, CCM arent gonna be selected, the memo is Klobuchar or Warren. CCM has a Dem Senatorial Campaign to run, and Dems are expanding the map to include KY, SC, MT, AK, TX and KS.  CCM isnt bailing. Harris said that she isnt moving her family out of SF, but she supports the nominee.

Her hubby lives in SF not DC, where she lives, I am presuming. No, she doesnt have kids. I guess Harris commutes back and forth to SF to DC to be with her hubby. Her hubby is caucasian and he loves it there and doesnt want to leave. I have seen them in major SF news walking side by side in SF, and her hubby talks about SF, he never is seen with her in DC or even talks about it. Her hubby works in SF
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1040 on: April 29, 2020, 04:32:26 AM »

When did she marry? I know she wasn’t married when people first started talking about her in the Obama years. Are there any photos? I don’t think I heard about him at all on the campaign trail in 2019.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1041 on: April 29, 2020, 04:37:59 AM »

When did she marry? I know she wasn’t married when people first started talking about her in the Obama years. Are there any photos? I don’t think I heard about him at all on the campaign trail in 2019.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/kamala-harris-on-why-she-married-a-white-man-look-i-love-my-husband

I am mistaken,  she does have 2 kids from a previous marriage and happily lives in Brentwood California
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1042 on: April 29, 2020, 05:26:40 AM »

From wikipedia.

Harris is married to California attorney Douglas Emhoff,[382] who was at one time partner-in-charge at Venable LLP's Los Angeles office.[383] Emhoff is Jewish.[384] They married on August 22, 2014, in Santa Barbara, California.[382] The couple do not have children together, but Harris is stepmother to Cole and Ella, Emhoff's two children from his previous marriage.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1043 on: April 29, 2020, 05:35:56 AM »

Her husband, Doug, was very prevalent on the trail in 2019
MichaelRbn
Rookie
United States
« Reply #1044 on: April 29, 2020, 07:36:53 AM »

Harris, CCM arent gonna be selected, the memo is Klobuchar or Warren. CCM has a Dem Senatorial Campaign to run, and Dems are expanding the map to include KY, SC, MT, AK, TX and KS.  CCM isnt bailing. Harris said that she isnt moving her family out of SF, but she supports the nominee.

Her hubby lives in SF not DC, where she lives, I am presuming. No, she doesnt have kids. I guess Harris commutes back and forth to SF to DC to be with her hubby. Her hubby is caucasian and he loves it there and doesnt want to leave. I have seen them in major SF news walking side by side in SF, and her hubby talks about SF, he never is seen with her in DC or even talks about it. Her hubby works in SF

Hubby?!  There’s a word I haven’t heard since about 1966!😀
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #1045 on: April 29, 2020, 08:40:37 AM »

Since there is an urgency to get Pressley and Kennedy, Generation X politicans in the Senate, Warren will he the nominee

Are you seriously suggesting that Biden will pick Warren as the nominee in order to free up MA Senate seats for Pressley and Kennedy? If you think that the VP selection of the national candidate running to defeat Donald Trump will be driven by one state's party affairs...I've got a Longfellow Bridge to sell you.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1046 on: April 29, 2020, 09:22:11 AM »

538 did another VP draft, their list was:

Harris
Pressley
Klobuchar
Duckworth
Warren
Cortez Masto
Lujan Grisham
Abrams
Whitmer
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1047 on: April 29, 2020, 09:37:07 AM »

Harris
Pressley
Klobuchar
Duckworth
Warren
Cortez Masto
Lujan Grisham
Abrams
Whitmer
Id love to see Pressley be the pick but I heavily doubt she will even make the short list
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1048 on: April 29, 2020, 09:38:20 AM »

Harris
Pressley
Klobuchar
Duckworth
Warren
Cortez Masto
Lujan Grisham
Abrams
Whitmer
Id love to see Pressley be the pick but I heavily doubt she will even make the short list

Pressley is way too inexperienced for the VP slot, especially when we're talking about a prez who tuns 80 into his 1st term. Same applies to Abrams.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1049 on: April 29, 2020, 09:39:41 AM »

Harris
Pressley
Klobuchar
Duckworth
Warren
Cortez Masto
Lujan Grisham
Abrams
Whitmer

Pressley is way too inexperienced for the VP slot, especially when we're talking about a prez who tuns 80 into his 1st term. Same applies to Abrams.
Yup my point exactly
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies