Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:39:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 361135 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 31, 2020, 04:26:59 PM »
« edited: March 31, 2020, 04:38:10 PM by Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia »

How Will Biden Choose His Running Mate?

Goal 1: Help with electability, real or imagined
Helps: Sen. Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin, Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer

Hurts: Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts

Goal 2: Balance the ticket demographically — particularly on race and ethnicity
Helps: Sen. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, Sen. Kamala Harris of California, New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, Abrams, Cortez Masto

Hurts: Baldwin, Klobuchar, Warren, Whitmer … basically anyone who is white

Goal 3: Balance the ticket ideologically
Helps: Abrams, Harris, Warren

Hurts: Klobuchar

Goal 4: Help Democrats gain a Senate majority
Helps: Duckworth, Harris

Hurts: Baldwin, Warren

In any case, looking at the party-based criteria, here’s how things shake out for Abrams, Harris, Klobuchar and Warren, who The New York Times recently reported are senior Democratic Party officials’ leading choices for Biden’s running mate. (We’ve also included Duckworth, who’s a more obscure senator than Warren, but we wanted to note how favorably she looks compared with her in terms of these party-based metrics):

Harris: three positives, no negatives.
Abrams: two positives, no negatives.
Duckworth: two positives, no negatives.
Klobuchar: one positive, two negatives.
Warren: one positive, three negatives.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/will-biden-choose-a-running-mate-based-on-electability-ideology-or-identity

Hopefully Biden will end up picking someone other than the ones "senior Democratic officials" prefer. Abrams, Harris, Klobuchar and Warren are all bad choices. Abrams is unqualified and unimpressive, Warren and Harris both ran bad campaigns and provide perfect targets for Trump (and Warren is too old), and Klobuchar is too awkward, comes with a lot of bagage and has no appeal to PoC.

Jim Clyburn reportedly wants Keshia Lance Bottoms and Harry Reid wants CCM, hopefully one of the two grey eminences will get their way.

How is Keshia Lance Bottoms more qualified than Stacey Abrams?  She just became mayor of Atlanta after four terms on the city council.  Stacey Abrams, on the other hand, has served in the Georgia House of Representatives since 2007, became minority leader in 2011, and learned to work with governing Republicans and has a number of accomplishments to her record as a result.  The only possible disqualifier is that she (arguably) lost her first gubernatorial bid two years ago.  
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #251 on: March 31, 2020, 04:33:27 PM »

The criticism against black women that they are "cops" reminds me of 2007 when people were accusing Obama of not being "black enough".

And the criticism against Harris is every bit as stupid as the complaints against Obama were.

Whether you like the criticism or not, it stuck with young black voters. And Demings was quite literally a police chief... so yeah, a cop.

And it's not a criticism against "black women", its a criticism against Demings and Harris. No one calls Maxine Waters, Ayanna Pressley, or Stacey Abrams cops. Law enforcement officers, be they DA's or police officers, are overwhelmingly unpopular among black voters under 30.

So while Harris and Demings may shore up old black people (an age group that already loves Biden and gave him the nomination in the first place over the objections of everyone else), they'll push younger ones further away.

It's an unnecessary risk when other potential VP's offer the same things Harris does without the downsides.
Harris never appeared on the ballot. How do you know it “stuck with young black voters”? Because Black Bernie stans and blue checks on Twitter didn’t like her?

She never polled well with voters under 30. And while this is purely anecdotal, she was a joke and pretty wifey disliked by everyone I knew in my age group in college. Whereas Biden was viewed positively as Obama’s bff, Harris was just a cop meme.

You're right. Purely anecdotal. And the hate is based on youth ignorance of what prosecutorial work it.

If you know people under 30 who hate candidates, they inevitably were going to hate the Bernie Bro target of the week.

None of the other campaigns inspire hatred for their opponents.  It's only the Sanders campaign.  And early in the race, the target was Kamala Harris, for weeks on end.  So they all probably hated her and repeated those talking points about her being a cop.

Check in with those same people now, they probably hate Biden and were hating Warren/Pete a few weeks ago.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #252 on: March 31, 2020, 04:35:31 PM »

The criticism against black women that they are "cops" reminds me of 2007 when people were accusing Obama of not being "black enough".

And the criticism against Harris is every bit as stupid as the complaints against Obama were.

Whether you like the criticism or not, it stuck with young black voters. And Demings was quite literally a police chief... so yeah, a cop.

And it's not a criticism against "black women", its a criticism against Demings and Harris. No one calls Maxine Waters, Ayanna Pressley, or Stacey Abrams cops. Law enforcement officers, be they DA's or police officers, are overwhelmingly unpopular among black voters under 30.

So while Harris and Demings may shore up old black people (an age group that already loves Biden and gave him the nomination in the first place over the objections of everyone else), they'll push younger ones further away.

It's an unnecessary risk when other potential VP's offer the same things Harris does without the downsides.
Harris never appeared on the ballot. How do you know it “stuck with young black voters”? Because Black Bernie stans and blue checks on Twitter didn’t like her?

She never polled well with voters under 30. And while this is purely anecdotal, she was a joke and pretty wifey disliked by everyone I knew in my age group in college. Whereas Biden was viewed positively as Obama’s bff, Harris was just a cop meme.

You're right. Purely anecdotal. And the hate is based on youth ignorance of what prosecutorial work it.

If you know people under 30 who hate candidates, they inevitably were going to hate the Bernie Bro target of the week.

None of the other campaigns inspire hatred for their opponents.  It's only the Sanders campaign.  And early in the race, the target was Kamala Harris, for weeks on end.  So they all probably hated her and repeated those talking points about her being a cop.

Check in with those same people now, they probably hate Biden and were hating Warren/Pete a few weeks ago.

They hate anybody who isn't Bernard Sanders of the state of Vermont. They loved Warren, but as soon as she threatened his standing in the primary, she became a "snake" to them. It's a powerful cult of personality.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #253 on: March 31, 2020, 04:36:50 PM »

Keisha Lance Bottoms is an awful orator and she's an Executive but not on the scope that I would be comfortable with her as President. That's an absolute hell no. LOL.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #254 on: March 31, 2020, 04:41:40 PM »

Goal 1: Help with electability, real or imagined
Helps: Sen. Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin, Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer

Hurts: Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts

Goal 2: Balance the ticket demographically — particularly on race and ethnicity
Helps: Sen. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, Sen. Kamala Harris of California, New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, Abrams, Cortez Masto

Hurts: Baldwin, Klobuchar, Warren, Whitmer … basically anyone who is white

Goal 3: Balance the ticket ideologically
Helps: Abrams, Harris, Warren

Hurts: Klobuchar

In any case, looking at the party-based criteria, here’s how things shake out for Abrams, Harris, Klobuchar and Warren, who The New York Times recently reported are senior Democratic Party officials’ leading choices for Biden’s running mate. (We’ve also included Duckworth, who’s a more obscure senator than Warren, but we wanted to note how favorably she looks compared with her in terms of these party-based metrics):

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/will-biden-choose-a-running-mate-based-on-electability-ideology-or-identity

Hopefully Biden will end up picking someone other than the ones "senior Democratic officials" prefer. Abrams, Harris, Klobuchar and Warren are all bad choices. Abrams is unqualified and unimpressive, Warren and Harris both ran bad campaigns and provide perfect targets for Trump (and Warren is too old), and Klobuchar is too awkward, comes with a lot of bagage and has no appeal to PoC.

Jim Clyburn reportedly wants Keshia Lance Bottoms and Harry Reid wants CCM, hopefully one of the two grey eminences will get their way.

Why would you say Warren ran a bad campaign but not Klobuchar?  Warren’s campaign was clearly more successful than Klobuchar’s under all metrics.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2020, 04:56:02 PM »

None of the other campaigns inspire hatred for their opponents.  It's only the Sanders campaign.  And early in the race, the target was Kamala Harris, for weeks on end.  So they all probably hated her and repeated those talking points about her being a cop.

Yes, as we know, Southern HBCUs* are notorious hotbeds for irrational Sanderstans! I'd definitely prefer his anecdotal observations to those coming from most of you in this thread.

*Not sure if my fellow DeleGAtion member still attends where I think he does, but if so, it's >80% Clinton '16 land
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2020, 05:18:27 PM »

Yes, as we know, Southern HBCUs* are notorious hotbeds for irrational Sanderstans! I'd definitely prefer his anecdotal observations to those coming from most of you in this thread.

*Not sure if my fellow DeleGAtion member still attends where I think he does, but if so, it's >80% Clinton '16 land

Yeah, the folks I’m referring to were only political for Abrams in ‘18 and weren’t big Berners. I was at Valdosta State until I graduated back in May, still keep in touch with a lot of the folks down there on Twitter and everything, and now I’m up at UGA.

But at both schools the feeling was the same among the black student population: Harris was a cop, Biden’s alright and trustworthy because of the Obama-Biden memes from before Trump’s inauguration, and Bernie cares about the issues we do but would never win.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #257 on: March 31, 2020, 05:29:11 PM »

None of the other campaigns inspire hatred for their opponents.  It's only the Sanders campaign.  And early in the race, the target was Kamala Harris, for weeks on end.  So they all probably hated her and repeated those talking points about her being a cop.

Yeah, the folks I’m referring to were only political for Abrams in ‘18 and weren’t big Berners. I was at Valdosta State until I graduated back in May, still keep in touch with a lot of the folks down there on Twitter and everything, and now I’m up at UGA.

But at both schools the feeling was the same among the black student population: Harris was a cop, Biden’s alright and trustworthy because of the Obama-Biden memes from before Trump’s inauguration, and Bernie cares about the issues we do but would never win.

For some reason I thought you were at FVSU (guess because it was once local to you), but I remember you talking about Valdosta State now: my bad!

But yes, the notion that the types of complaints you've mentioned are only endemic to young white kids on college campuses or with college degrees (with this attack usually coming from - at least on Atlas - young white kids on college campuses or with college degrees) is very short-sighted and troubling to say the least. I think it's mostly because so many here come from well-off backgrounds or spend all of their time around the perpetually-engaged and/or political ladder-climber crowds. Most normal people just don't think or behave the same way.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2020, 05:53:40 PM »

For some reason I thought you were at FVSU (guess because it was once local to you), but I remember you talking about Valdosta State now: my bad!

But yes, the notion that the types of complaints you've mentioned are only endemic to young white kids on college campuses or with college degrees (with this attack usually coming from - at least on Atlas - young white kids on college campuses or with college degrees) is very short-sighted and troubling to say the least. I think it's mostly because so many here come from well-off backgrounds or spend all of their time around the perpetually-engaged and/or political ladder-climber crowds. Most normal people just don't think or behave the same way.

It’s an easy mistake since FVSU is only about 20-25 minutes from my house. I do dunk on it a lot with how far it’s fallen as a university over the years, especially to my dad who graduated from there 😂.

But that’s exactly it and what worries me about the VP search. Folks who aren’t actually connected to the demographic group (in this case young black voters) dismissing their concerns as a blind, irrational, Bernie-fueled hatred.

If BidenWorld’s main goal is to shore up minority support, the Harris is not the person to pick. Heck, Warren was far more popular among young black activists that she was.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #259 on: March 31, 2020, 06:35:29 PM »

I don’t understand how picking Duckworth or Harris -helps- the Dems win a Senate majority.  At best, it is neutral.  If they are positives for this factor, at the very least Abrams should be as well.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #260 on: March 31, 2020, 08:03:41 PM »

I don’t understand how picking Duckworth or Harris -helps- the Dems win a Senate majority.  At best, it is neutral.  If they are positives for this factor, at the very least Abrams should be as well.

I think they meant that neither of them would put a senate seat at risk. CCM and Baldwin would.
chibul
Rookie
« Reply #261 on: March 31, 2020, 08:57:01 PM »

Warrens the only vp who would boost youth turnout for Biden which he desperately needs The youth are not fans of Harris Klobuchar and don't care who Demmings and CCM and Duckworth are
Many of the young people I know backed Bernie, and many of those same people not only refuse to vote for Joe but also DESPISE Warren. They see her as being part of a conspiracy to undermine Bernie. It's dumb. Maybe the subsection of Bernie fans I once aligned with are just a minority. I hope so.

But yeah, having TWO 70+ yo's on the ticket is a mindblowingly horrible idea.

I agree with you. In 2016, Mike Pence endorsed Ted Cruz as Indiana was a must win state. Ted Cruz needed to win Indiana to stop Donald Trump from getting a majority of delegates. Trump wins Indiana and the rest is history. Pence would later become Trump's VP.

I think if Elizabeth Warren had never entered the race, endorsed Bernie Sanders during the primary, then was announced as Biden's VP after he gets the majority of delegates I think *maybe* he could have gotten some Sanders supporters to hold their nose and vote for Biden but I'm not even sure if that would have worked. Sanders supporters might have held a grudge against her for not fighting for him on the floor of the convention.

I do know one thing. The progressive movement has completely turned against Elizabeth Warren. Warren's approval rating with the dirtybag left has gotta be terrible. If the goal is to get Bernie Sanders voters to support you, I don't think these people will come out unless either Bernie Sanders or Nina Turner is nominated. Both of those VP candidates would be very risky and may do more harm than good.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #262 on: April 01, 2020, 01:28:10 AM »

Keisha Lance Bottoms is an awful orator and she's an Executive but not on the scope that I would be comfortable with her as President. That's an absolute hell no. LOL.

Never heard of her until recently. People often look for candidates checking certain boyes like "AA, woman, Hispanic, Asian, white, Muslim etc." to balance a ticket or admin, but qualifications and campaign skills still matter.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #263 on: April 01, 2020, 10:29:46 AM »

Biden says Whitmer is on his short list, and that the plan is to vet “between 6 and 10” candidates:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/490570-biden-confirms-hes-considering-whitmer-for-vp

Biden, who has already vowed to tap a woman as his vice presidential pick, said Tuesday night he’s been considering Whitmer for the role for months, but that he is eyeing as many as 10 potential candidates.

“She made the list in my mind two months ago. There’s probably going to be a list, I’m in the process of, Brian, we’ll have it by mid-April, putting together an organization that will run the background checks…by the second or third week in April,” Biden told MSNBC host Brian Williams.

“I’ve thought about some of the women who I believe are ready to be president and I think I can work with and would be willing to work with me. It’s going to be somewhere between six and 10 of them.”
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #264 on: April 01, 2020, 12:04:48 PM »

Its gonna be Klobuchar,  Whitmer is not moving to DC to take a commuters job to Israel, England and S. KOREA and Japan and Canada. The only place diplomats can go due to coronavirus.  Klobuchar hubby has recovered from coronas as Klobuchar doesnt mind commuting overseas🤩🤩🤩
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #265 on: April 01, 2020, 02:11:28 PM »

Biden says Whitmer is on his short list, and that the plan is to vet “between 6 and 10” candidates:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/490570-biden-confirms-hes-considering-whitmer-for-vp

Biden, who has already vowed to tap a woman as his vice presidential pick, said Tuesday night he’s been considering Whitmer for the role for months, but that he is eyeing as many as 10 potential candidates.

“She made the list in my mind two months ago. There’s probably going to be a list, I’m in the process of, Brian, we’ll have it by mid-April, putting together an organization that will run the background checks…by the second or third week in April,” Biden told MSNBC host Brian Williams.

“I’ve thought about some of the women who I believe are ready to be president and I think I can work with and would be willing to work with me. It’s going to be somewhere between six and 10 of them.”

She wouldn't be a terrible pick in the classic mold of VPs: executive experience in a swing state, generally pretty popular, unlikely to take the spotlight from the candidate, but has a demonstrated track record of effectively criticizing the incumbent President. That being said, I think Michigan needs her for longer than 2 years.

If they pick her, I think it'd be a big signal that they're gonna make the COVID-19 response the focus of the campaign.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #266 on: April 01, 2020, 02:28:43 PM »

I think he picks either Harris or CCM, although I lean toward thinking Harris.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2020, 02:39:24 PM »

I would guess the list is looking like

Harris
CCM
Whitmer
Klobuchar
Warren

in order of preference/likelihood
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2020, 03:07:36 PM »

Percentage probability (imo)-

Short List
Harris: 45%
CCM: 19%
Whitmer: 15%
Klobuchar: 11%
Warren: 5%

Dark Horses
Duckworth, Abrams, Baldwin, Demings, Lance-Bottoms, Other: 5%

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2020, 03:10:51 PM »

I feel like people really understate the potential for Warren. He literally promised her the Vice Presidency in 2016 were he to run. That's obviously a significant indicator that Biden would be a-okay with somebody like Warren being his #2.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #270 on: April 01, 2020, 03:19:26 PM »

I feel like people really understate the potential for Warren. He literally promised her the Vice Presidency in 2016 were he to run. That's obviously a significant indicator that Biden would be a-okay with somebody like Warren being his #2.

I don't see it. She has her own liabilities, and he really shouldn't be going with another septuagenerian.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #271 on: April 01, 2020, 03:22:29 PM »

I don't see it. She has her own liabilities, and he really shouldn't be going with another septuagenerian.

I'm really not crazy about having two 70+ candidates on the same ticket, and I'm within shouting distance of that range myself.  I'd certainly vote for them, but I'd rather see someone younger (but still with solid experience) as Biden's running mate.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #272 on: April 01, 2020, 03:48:27 PM »

Eh, I still think they'd definitely be a winning ticket, though. She'd energize the base with a progressive icon (or at the very least, if the fallout from her campaign's interactions with Bernie's is really that bad, somebody who's to the left of Biden) who'd probably get enough progressives excited enough to vote Biden come Election Day, they come across as very genuine & personable, & Biden's foreign policy/Washington expertise & Warren's economic knowledge would combine for a killer governing team post-election.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #273 on: April 01, 2020, 09:16:52 PM »

Abrams says she'd be happy to serve as VP:

https://abc14news.com/2020/04/01/i-would-be-happy-to-serve-as-bidens-running-mate/

Wednesday on “MSNBC Live,” former Ga Democratic gubernatorial applicant Stacey Abrams addressed speculation she could be previous Vice President Joe Biden’s running mate.

Abrams explained she has not been in discussion with the Biden marketing campaign, but she is “very honored to be considered” and would be “happy to serve” with Biden. She also touted her working experience and how she has been an “effective leader.”
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: April 01, 2020, 09:34:46 PM »

Abrams says she'd be happy to serve as VP:

https://abc14news.com/2020/04/01/i-would-be-happy-to-serve-as-bidens-running-mate/

Wednesday on “MSNBC Live,” former Ga Democratic gubernatorial applicant Stacey Abrams addressed speculation she could be previous Vice President Joe Biden’s running mate.

Abrams explained she has not been in discussion with the Biden marketing campaign, but she is “very honored to be considered” and would be “happy to serve” with Biden. She also touted her working experience and how she has been an “effective leader.”

Yes, Stacey, we know.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies