Four years ago today... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:58:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Four years ago today... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Four years ago today...  (Read 1937 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: January 08, 2008, 04:11:42 PM »

I'm sure the extremists are excited that America will soon wish to sit down with them to discuss how we can work out our problems

Yeah.  Damn that Ronald Reagan for sitting down with the extremists who wanted to destroy America in the 80's.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »

I'm sure the extremists are excited that America will soon wish to sit down with them to discuss how we can work out our problems

Yeah.  Damn that Ronald Reagan for sitting down with the extremists who wanted to destroy America in the 80's.

The USSR and the Islamic fundies are totally different.

Somewhat.  The USSR was controlled by insane, America-hating maniacs who were Atheists.

One was a nation that really didn't want war any more than we did, and the other is a group that glorifies death and WANTS to die killing westerns.

Oh, the Soviets wanted war.  And they would have cheerfully brought it, too.  Had it not been for a succession of Presidents and Congresses that kept America strong.  Now, in Mikhail Gorbachev, we did see a Communist with a gentler side.  He was someone both Ronald Reagan and George Schultz knew we could reason with.

Children grow up with dreams of 72 virgins in heaven

Just an aside.  But that has always baffled me.  I mean, I might be tempted to dream of 72 sluts.  But virgins?  What? You mean I'm not gonna get any up there, either?  Okay -- sorry -- serious discussion.  Hope I didn't offend anyone!

and being a hero for walking into a group of people and setting off a bomb.

But that's just it.  These folks are not in control of any one country.  Iran?  Possibly.  Saudi Arabia, more likely.  But what's keeping them from following through?  Strength.  What might potentially end the impasse?  Well, I agree -- a massive nuclear strike on Tehran and/or Mecca might.  And I am sure the neocons would cheer it.  But I think Ronald Reagan would suggest that we maintain our strength in the region, (D's might argue with R's over what that would look like) and find sane, reasonable people to negotiate with.  Are there no Arab or Muslim Gorbachevs?

I have yet to see Osama bin Laden or any other extremist leader come out and want to do the same.

I never said we should negotiate with that vile bag of pus.  Kill him.  I'm still waiting for a President with the stones to do that.  Not saying Edwards or Obama is that guy -- but The Decider clearly isn't. But even the loony Iranian President has reached out.  Even the Syrian dictator has made overtures.  We have got to get serious about meeting these people halfway.  At the same time, we need to be ready to punish them if they attack us or if they sponsor those who do so. But our current "whatever Israel says and does is always right" policy is foolish, stupid and unjust.  And that's the root of this whole thing.  The double standard we currently enable tastes like a camel turd to them and frankly, I don't blame them.  Iran can't have nukes because -- well -- because they're Muslim extremists.  Israel CAN have nukes. Because -- well -- because they're what?  Oh, I know.  A Democracy just trying to live in peace. Bullsh**t.  There are butchering Arab thugs and butchering Israel thugs.  And I'm not sure there's any way to sort them out except to sit down and talk.  Or let them slaughter each other and completely remove ourselves.

Their goal is to establish an Islamic society and rid the world of sinners and anyone who disagrees with their beliefs. 

True, my friend.  This is why the Muslim extremists do scare me.  Look what they did to Buddhists and Christians in Afghanistan.  Look what they continue to do to Bahaists in Iran (taking away their land, fencing them off, jailing them.)  Radical Islam is every bit the threat Communism (at least in the Soviet or Maoist form) was. And while the exact details of how we will deal with it may differ, the overarching approach almost perfected by Ronald Reagan should never be abandoned.  Search for someone you CAN dialogue with.  And dialogue from a position of strength.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 04:53:34 PM »

I'm sure the extremists are excited that America will soon wish to sit down with them to discuss how we can work out our problems and look at their plight with a tolerant eye!

Of course, because the Bush doctrine has worked so well. It makes sense to elect another Bush-clone like McCain or Romney.

Give Iraq time.

We're turning the corner.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies