Food Stamps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:12:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Food Stamps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What should be done about the food stamp program?
Expand

Keep as is

Reduce

Cut program entirely

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Food Stamps  (Read 5659 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: January 25, 2014, 12:57:11 AM »

The image in your sig is a little bit misleading, since the two sources are measuring somewhat differently - a family who pays only $36 in taxes for food stamps isn't going to be paying even $1000 in federal income tax total. Still, the point that corporate subsidies take up more money than food stamps stands.

In the current economy with unemployment the way it is, we shouldn't reduce food stamps.  I'd be open to expanding it so long as we did more to make sure its targeted to the people who really need it and minimize fraud.  Some of the reforms proposed lately by the House Republicans however are wrongheaded - a person should be able to put some money in savings to help them get back on their feet and still be eligible.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:41:53 AM »

Expand, but cut unemployment benefits.

So let them eat, but not pay the rent. That makes sense. Roll Eyes
I would not have unemployment benefits for as long as we're having them, yes. If a person can't find a job in a year, they should probably get a job that's below their qualifications unfortunately.

There are those who can't find a job in a year even below their qualifications.

I do agree we need to ask whether continually extending unemployment benefits are the way to go, or we need to rethink the program to make it more conducive to people finding jobs, but I don't think just cutting the benefits makes sense with the long-term unemployment problem we have.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 06:30:51 PM »

Reducing unemployment benefits probably does make sense in some cases where they are getting enough that it is a disincentive for them to find work - like if they made enough in their previous job that the proportion of that they are receiving now is close to or even above lower-paying job wages. I don't think that's the case for most people though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies