French presidential election, 2022 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:23:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French presidential election, 2022 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: French presidential election, 2022  (Read 127334 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: April 24, 2021, 07:20:41 AM »

Already so much looking forward to this.

Not.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 09:29:08 AM »

It would be really hard for me to decide who to vote for in the first round, were I able to vote. Being British I have a visceral dislike of Macron but if I were French I might have a more positive opinion of him.
Macron, it seems, is perceived as some sort of southern European leftist here. Just look at the Telegraph.

Did you support anyone last time round? From the little I know about you, you seem somewhat Eurosceptic, economically centrist, a bit socially conservative; but generally quite moderate. Modern SDP? I think there are a lot of voters like that in France. Not sure who you might like. Bertrand?

You've read me well, only correction is that I'd say I'm more economically left of centre and pro-localism/regionalism and also not uniformly conservative as I'm not against immigration - perhaps the continuity SDP would be the best fit for me, I've never thought to join them or anything. As I have said before, I've voted for four different parties in the past

Didn't you identify as Tory in a certain other place?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »

It would be really hard for me to decide who to vote for in the first round, were I able to vote. Being British I have a visceral dislike of Macron but if I were French I might have a more positive opinion of him.
Macron, it seems, is perceived as some sort of southern European leftist here. Just look at the Telegraph.

Did you support anyone last time round? From the little I know about you, you seem somewhat Eurosceptic, economically centrist, a bit socially conservative; but generally quite moderate. Modern SDP? I think there are a lot of voters like that in France. Not sure who you might like. Bertrand?

You've read me well, only correction is that I'd say I'm more economically left of centre and pro-localism/regionalism and also not uniformly conservative as I'm not against immigration - perhaps the continuity SDP would be the best fit for me, I've never thought to join them or anything. As I have said before, I've voted for four different parties in the past

Didn't you identify as Tory in a certain other place?

Yes I did - but (as I've said before) I've changed my views a lot to become more economically left and socially moderate in the past few years as I have had to become more economically independent and after gaining an appreciation for the lives of those less fortunate, but I've maintained my Euroscepticism.

Ta, its confirmation you are indeed the same person anyway Smiley
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 09:18:06 AM »

As they love to tell each other, France and the UK have many significant differences.

But they also have one big thing in common - both were major imperial powers.

Lingering effects of that still contributing to the political malaise in both countries today?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 07:06:46 AM »

Well they *are* polling higher than others, aren't they?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 08:40:36 AM »

Does that mean Zemmour's into this "New Chronology" lark?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 10:52:05 AM »

In other news, Zemmour (...) has gone completely off the rails and Le Pen/RN is essentially accusing him of being too extreme.

Didn't that happen a while back?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 10:21:54 AM »

Tbh even given the parlous state of the PS, its still a surprise that Hidalgo has bombed so badly.

I mean, she's pretty alright.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2022, 09:35:03 AM »

Loathsome pro-Putin shills throughout Europe tanking in popularity is one genuine silver lining of the recent awful events.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 08:00:30 AM »

Interesting that even if Le Pen has a much greater chance of winning than in 2017, the world isn't freaking out as much.

Partly because Zemmour is even more repellent, I would have thought.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2022, 05:47:59 AM »

If Le Pen wins will France leave the EU and start helping Russia?

No, and no?

Zemmour would probably do both those things though. Just as well he is getting stomped.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 06:27:53 AM »

In their own ways, both Macron and Melenchon are pretty terrible. Which makes it all the more tragic that the organised centre-left in France has all but ceased to exist.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2022, 05:20:54 AM »

I'm guessing that there will be a panic stage followed by a "front républicain" effect that will lead some leftists who would otherwise have abstained to rally to Macron. Probably significantly less than in 2017, though.

I hope to God that the 2027 runoff will be something other than "preppy neoliberal vs far-right demagogue" though. If we keep going this way there's a real chance France might fall.

I'm repeating myself, but we desperately need a functioning mainstream left in France again.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 06:26:14 AM »

What"s the point of going on really, she'll get rid of me, deprive me of my country of birth and all i've ever known, everything i had to live for

Come on mate, enough of this. There is (almost) always a reason to go on.

I still don't think that le Pen will win - if she does it will be awful for France, but France will survive.

And regardless of how it all ends up, it is surely obvious that Macron making raising the retirement age a major plank of his re-election bid was an astonishing and reckless act of hubris from him.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2022, 04:16:08 AM »

Hidalgo didn't even get 2% in the end? Genuine sad trombone noise.

I actually rated her and at one point thought she might do OK, but in the end her campaign made that of Liz "4.5%" Kendall (someone else who I still actually like personally, despite everything) appear the model of electoral and strategic genius.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2022, 07:54:01 AM »

It appears also that former French West Africa is quite fond of Melenchon.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2022, 07:17:45 AM »

Who are these Zemmour-Macron voters?

A lot of them very rich people, who are more likely to see le Pen as unacceptably "common".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies