Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 01:04:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes  (Read 142741 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 19, 2017, 07:16:21 PM »

Pretty much every opinion I hold is unpopular, but here are just a few:

George W. Bush was a good president, at least in domestic policy.
Barack Obama was not an especially good president.
Most Pixar films aren't that good, and Finding Nemo was terrible.
Good billionaires exist.
Marijuana should remain illegal.
Roe v. Wade is one of the worst Supreme Court decisions of all time.
Parents should have the right to send their kids to whatever school they want, whether public, private, or charter.
Obesity and heart disease are caused by sugar, not animal fat.
Life begins at conception.
Vaccines do not cause autism.
Soft drinks, though unhealthy, are better for you than alcohol.
Alcohol is as dangerous as smoking or hard drugs.  Same goes for marijuana.
Hand-drawn, traditional animation is better than CG animation.
Toys should not be sold as gender-specific.
Chris Christie and John Kasich are two of the best governors in the country, and I will miss both of them when they're gone.
Trump was elected because of protectionism, not racism.
Most police officers do not target young black men simply because of race.
White people are not all evil.
The far left and the far right are both wrong.
Right-wing media is as bad for America as left-wing media.
All news is fake news.
Illegal aliens should not be given amnesty unless they have been here long enough to establish themselves.
Sanctuary cities are unconstitutional and illegal, and therefore should be defunded.
Abortion is not healthcare unless done as a legitimate medical necessity.
Abortion should be illegal in cases of rape or incest.
Fascism is not conservative or right-wing.
Not all Muslims are terrorists or support terrorism.
Will Ferrell is stupid and unfunny.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 07:20:48 PM »

Pretty much every opinion I hold is unpopular, but here are just a few:

George W. Bush was a good president, at least in domestic policy.
Barack Obama was not an especially good president.
Most Pixar films aren't that good, and Finding Nemo was terrible.
Good billionaires exist.
Marijuana should remain illegal.
Roe v. Wade is one of the worst Supreme Court decisions of all time.
Parents should have the right to send their kids to whatever school they want, whether public, private, or charter.
Obesity and heart disease are caused by sugar, not animal fat.
Life begins at conception.
Alcohol is as dangerous as smoking or hard drugs.  Same goes for marijuana.
Hand-drawn, traditional animation is better than CG animation.
Toys should not be sold as gender-specific.
Chris Christie and John Kasich are two of the best governors in the country, and I will miss both of them when they're gone.
Trump was elected because of protectionism, not racism.
Most police officers do not target young black men simply because of race.
All news is fake news.
Illegal aliens should not be given amnesty unless they have been here long enough to establish themselves.
Sanctuary cities are unconstitutional and illegal, and therefore should be defunded.
Abortion is not healthcare unless done as a legitimate medical necessity.
Abortion should be illegal in cases of rape or incest.
Fascism is not conservative or right-wing.
Will Ferrell is stupid and unfunny.
You sound like a moderate hero with most of these opinions. I don't see how they're unpopular.
You don't see how any of these are unpopular?  Try putting them elsewhere on this site and watch the sparks fly.

Good billionaires exist.

In what world are these opinions unpopular?
The world run by wingnuts.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:11:26 PM »

Most Pixar movies outside the Toy Story trilogy are not that good.  I especially hate Finding Nemo.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 03:27:58 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2018, 03:30:44 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

I like Rick Snyder and John Kasich.

Saturated animal fats do not cause obesity, heart disease, colon cancer, diabetes, dementia, or whatever other disease the vegetrollians are going to blame it for next.  Sugar and refined carbs the real villains in the diet.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 03:42:01 PM »

There is no such thing as a "red" or "blue" state, only different shades of purple.

Cool Whip is nasty.

Owls are creepy.

Republicans are not a racist party.

Most Trump supporters are not racist.

Opposing gay marriage does not automatically make you homophobic.

I like Chris Christie and will miss him now that he's out of office.

Exit polls are worthless for predicting election outcomes.

Being pro-life does not necessarily make you sexist or against women's healthcare.

The Civil War was primarily about slavery, not "states' rights" or greedy Northern industrialists.

Abortion is about "women's healthcare" as much as the Civil War was about "states' rights."

Lincoln was not a racist, just a shrewd politician.

The founding fathers intended to include all races and both sexes when Jefferson said that "all men are created equal."

My Life as a Teenage Robot is the only Nicktoon ever made that is especially good.

Monuments to Confederate leaders should remain unless they had a history of fighting for white supremacy even after the Civil War (e.g. Nathan Bedford Forrest).

Police officers are not racist or violent and do not intentionally target blacks.

Most of what people perceive as racial bias is in fact class bias, and nonwhites get hurt by it more often because they are more likely to be poor.

Circumcision is not genital mutilation.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 04:25:16 PM »

Johnny Unitas is the greatest NFL quarterback of all time, not Tom Brady.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »

Waving a Confederate flag is not only racist, but treasonous and anti-American.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 04:26:25 PM »

Democrats need to focus way more on economic issues than social issues in 2020.
I don't think that is particularly unpopular around here.
Except for that fact that campaigning on social issues has won them the popular vote in six of the last seven presidential elections, and the electoral vote in four of them.  (Trump was only the first Republican since Bush 1 to get over 300 EVs.)  Why would they give it up now, when it's worked so well for them thus far?  If anything, it's Republicans who need to drop the social issues, not Democrats.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 06:32:02 PM »

Black Lives Matter is a hate group and a domestic terrorist organization.  Same goes for Antifa and the various alt-right groups.

By extension, that leads to another unpopular opinion of mine: there is not only an alt right, but an alt left as well.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 04:20:11 PM »

Black Lives Matter is a hate group and a domestic terrorist organization.  Same goes for Antifa and the various alt-right groups.

By extension, that leads to another unpopular opinion of mine: there is not only an alt right, but an alt left as well.
Basically no one describes themselves as "Alt-left", so I'd say the alt-right is much more of a real thing for that reason alone. 
They may not call themselves alt left, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Groups like Occupy Wall Street, BLM, Antifa, etc. are basically the left-wing equivalent of the alt right.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »

Richard Nixon was no worse a person than anyone in the Kennedy family.

(paging Sanchez. Tongue )
You're right this isn't a popular opinion, but I would probably agree with it.  Were it not for the way that JFK authorized Bobby to illegally wiretap Nixon and his other political opponents (including Martin Luther King), it's possible that Watergate might never have happened.  Certainly not if Nixon had beaten Kennedy in 1960.  LBJ also authorized illegal surveillance on opponents.

(And before you correct me and say that MLK or his family supported Kennedy in 1960, please know that I realize this.  When I refer to him as an opponent of Kennedy, I mean it in the sense that Kennedy dragged his feet on civil rights legislation until the March on Washington, because he didn't want to alienate the segregationist wing of the Democratic party.)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »

Sharecropping was not the same as slavery.

Nixon was a good president, with the exception of Watergate.

The 1980s were not a conservative decade.

George W. Bush is not stupid.

The Republican party is not inherently racist.

America is a center-left country.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »

Telephone conversations and internet activity don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy and thus aren't protected under the Fourth Amendment.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 05:49:07 PM »

Telephone conversations and internet activity don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy and thus aren't protected under the Fourth Amendment.
Something you're doing in your own home doesn't have a reasonable expectation of privacy?
Not if it's something people outside your home can see or hear.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 05:50:18 PM »

Chicago deep dish is not real pizza. That being said it's still better than New York Pizza.

Okay, I guess that's neither here nor there then ... it's in' delicious! 
I don't think I've ever had New York style pizza, but in my mind no pizza beats Chicago style.  (I've even heard some say it should be considered a casserole.)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 05:32:49 PM »

-Hillary sent classified emails and should be charged
-The Republican Party is not racist, homophobic, sexist, etc.
-For as much as I disagree with him and think he's an idiot, Donald Trump is not racist, homophobic, sexist, etc.
-The E.U. as a governing body is bad (though the single market is quite useful from what I can tell)
-Bernie is as crazy as Trump can be, just more able to do his job (which is scarier)
-Rick Scott and Marco Rubio are fine politicians and people
-Amnesty for illegal immigrants is a good idea (if they have not been convicted of serious crimes and have contributed to the American workforce)
-Voter ID laws are not racist
-If Pence is President, he will not do half of the stuff the posters on this website say he will

Seriously, talking about party registration, this website is probably pushing me further away from becoming an independent (though my beliefs are remaining intact) Tongue
These are pretty much my views in a nutshell.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »

Something you're doing in your own home doesn't have a reasonable expectation of privacy?
Not if it's something people outside your home can see or hear.

The real question here is: Where in the Fourth Amendment does the phrase "reasonable expectation of privacy" ever appear?
It doesn't, but courts have established that as a precedent for testing its application.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »

Bernie Sanders wouldn't have beaten Trump.  And if he couldn't do that, then he wouldn't have beaten any of the other Republicans either.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 08:01:40 PM »

Governor Snyder had nothing to do with the Flint water debacle, and he is not a racist.
Likewise, photo ID laws, the death penalty, police officers, the War on Drugs, etc. are not racist, at least not inherently.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 05:21:15 PM »

The most recent Republican president who was not a racist was Dwight D Eisenhower.

Ford was racist?
And HW Bush?  The evidence I've seen is the opposite: that no Republican president in that time was a racist.  Nixon was a big supporter of civil rights legislation and was good friends with Sammy Davis, even if he used some racially insensitive language in his private life.  And Reagan and Bush 2 both hired blacks to high positions (Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Samuel Pierce, etc.)  It was also Bush 1 that appointed Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 09:28:16 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2018, 09:31:20 AM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

The most recent Republican president who was not a racist was Dwight D Eisenhower.

Ford was racist?
And HW Bush?  The evidence I've seen is the opposite: that no Republican president in that time was a racist.  Nixon was a big supporter of civil rights legislation and was good friends with Sammy Davis, even if he used some racially insensitive language in his private life.  And Reagan and Bush 2 both hired blacks to high positions (Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Samuel Pierce, etc.)  It was also Bush 1 that appointed Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court.

Nixon hated Jewish people lmao. He was extremely racist.
No, he did not hate Jews.  He hired many Jews for his administration, including Ben Stein and Henry Kissinger.  And he developed a strong friendship with Sammy Davis.  The things he said on tape were no worse than the things said by LBJ, FDR, or Truman in their private conversations, nor was it worse than the casual racism and anti-Semitism of that time.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/2014/07/03/the-lie-of-richard-nixons-racism/
http://beta.nydailynews.com/archives/news/buddies-sammy-davis-jr-president-united-states-article-1.648866

And let's not forget these pictures:

http://egnorance.blogspot.com/2014/01/you-wont-see-this-picture-on-msnbc-abc.html
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 09:37:38 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2018, 09:41:01 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Ford was racist?

No, he did not hate Jews.  He hired many Jews for his administration, including Ben Stein and Henry Kissinger.  And he developed a strong friendship with Sammy Davis.  The things he said on tape were no worse than the things said by LBJ, FDR, or Truman in their private conversations, nor was it worse than the casual racism and anti-Semitism of that time.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/2014/07/03/the-lie-of-richard-nixons-racism/
http://beta.nydailynews.com/archives/news/buddies-sammy-davis-jr-president-united-states-article-1.648866

http://egnorance.blogspot.com/2014/01/you-wont-see-this-picture-on-msnbc-abc.html

You're basically saying that because he had black and Jewish friends, he couldn't have been racist.
Yes.  If Sammy Davis thought he was racist, then he would never have embraced him the way he did.

Ford was racist?

Listen to the tapes, dude. Pretty much everyone who was against him was a "ing Jew."

Oh and he let Sammie Davis hug him clearly the man held no racial prejudice whatsoever *eyes roll out of head*
What he said on those tapes was no worse than some of the things Johnson said on tape, and certainly not any worse than the casual racism or anti-Semitism that was prevalent at the time.  Nixon instituted the Revised Philadelphia Plan, raised the federal civil rights enforcement budget, and accelerated the desegregation of Southern schools.  Remember also that his closes foreign policy advisor was Jewish (Henry Kissinger), as well as one of his speechwriters (Ben Stein).  Actions speak louder than words.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 09:54:23 PM »

Ford was racist?

Listen to the tapes, dude. Pretty much everyone who was against him was a "ing Jew."

Oh and he let Sammie Davis hug him clearly the man held no racial prejudice whatsoever *eyes roll out of head*
Another thing for you kids to remember: Mayor Daley hurled similar slurs at Abe Ribicoff (who was Jewish) during the DNC in 1968, had numerous scandals as bad as Watergate or worse, and did everything he could to make life in Chicago a living nightmare for blacks.  Why is he a hero while Nixon is pure evil?  Could it be because Daley was a Democrat and Nixon a Republican?  I'm just asking...
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 11:00:23 AM »

Ford was racist?

Another thing for you kids to remember: Mayor Daley hurled similar slurs at Abe Ribicoff (who was Jewish) during the DNC in 1968, had numerous scandals as bad as Watergate or worse, and did everything he could to make life in Chicago a living nightmare for blacks.  Why is he a hero while Nixon is pure evil?  Could it be because Daley was a Democrat and Nixon a Republican?  I'm just asking...
Daley was scum, and I don't think Nixon was evil.
You imply he was evil by smearing him like you do.  You cannot be a good person and a bigot at the same time.

Anyway, I'm not listening to this nonsense anymore, because it's clear that neither of you wants to take an objective look at the facts.  So allow me to change subject by listing another unpopular opinion, prompted by a poll on the Individual Politics board:

Sam Brownback was a good governor for Kansas.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 05:39:53 PM »

There were never very many Reagan Democrats.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies