Should the US have language laws similar to Quebec? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:50:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should the US have language laws similar to Quebec? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the US have language laws similar to Quebec?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Should the US have language laws similar to Quebec?  (Read 6367 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: August 03, 2008, 02:39:28 PM »

No. Of Course not. I would like to think America isn't as paranoid as Quebec as regards language issues. At least Quebec has an excuse (still o/c doesn't justify this).

I assume these laws would also apply to Native American Languages and reservations aswell?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »

Uh, that sentence doesn't make any sense, but the statement is still rather extreme.

Let's say I'm fluent in French and go on a vacation to France and buy some DVDs there of French movies not available in the US. Should I be arrested for trying to take those back to the US with me?

No.  Only movies released in theatres should be required to have subtitles.

Why?
How about if you accidentally buy a ticket for a movie that is only in Spanish, the theater just gives you your money back when you immediately walk out and request one?

Because watching Pans Labyrinth in Castillian makes baby jesus cry.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 04:01:32 AM »

No. Of Course not. I would like to think America isn't as paranoid as Quebec as regards language issues. At least Quebec has an excuse (still o/c doesn't justify this).

I assume these laws would also apply to Native American Languages and reservations aswell?

I was tempted to gloat with another "LOLZ LOOK AT IGNORANT GULLY FOYLE" post but I'll be mature this time.

I used to live on a Reservation. You'd have a tough time finding anything public written in Sioux. Not surprising considering I'd be surprised if more than 20% of the population could speak it in any serious manner (by that I mean knowing enough to actually engage in even simplistic communication and not just a few words or phrases for novelty value.)

Actually I asked that because of a case I read about six months of an Apache reservation in Arizona which has a radio station which broadcasts in Apache. I think the Navajo do aswell. Just sayin'.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies