Supersoulty/Xahar: Memphis, TN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:54:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Supersoulty/Xahar: Memphis, TN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Supersoulty/Xahar: Memphis, TN  (Read 3143 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 01:00:26 AM »

If you were around for my time as a Senator, you would know that is not the case.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 01:35:26 AM »

The only place an amendment vote on regional restructuring would have a good chance of passing in is the Northeast Region. I doubt the Mideast would approve, and highly doubt the other three would...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »

The Midwest is killed off in both maps. A little odd as the Mideast is far more dysfunctional.

How is it that the Midwest is "killed off".  We subtract a district in one of the maps (which is the one I prefer), but no place gets "killed off" the boarders just shift.  There is no "loser", its an adjustment, and each voter will be fairly represented.  You guys act as though one place is conquering another and subjecting them.  That's simply not the case.

This is the second map:

This is the existing regional map:

While there are boundary changes everywhere, it's pretty clear which region has been outright eliminated.

Listen, as I said earlier, the point is that that can be done.  We can work out the details with time, but it is the belief if this campaign that drastic action might be required to adjust our "rotten borough" problem.  Reform has always been close to my heart, and I am willing to entertain all reasonable proposals.  We merely hope to open up a discussion on the issue.

Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to refer all other questions on this issue to Mr. Xahar, and I am going to go into a corner and die, because I am sick as a dog.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 04:34:07 PM »

This old chesnut has been around the block so many times that part of me is surprised its made a comeback. Regional redrawing has been banded around a lot, and every time it has run into one insurmountable problem - even if a majority can be found in favour of re-Regioning, whatever map is produced will not meet with the approval of enough of the different interests, and will hence fail. This is a political reality - you may waste your time trying to say it ain't so, but don't say I didn't tell you.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 04:36:48 PM »

Before you get all over-zealous on us, Mr. Secretary, you do realize that any proposal changing the regional make up would require a Constitutional Amendment, and as such would require the approval of the regions anyway?

Of course, and this would presumably fail, especially if the purpose of the exercise is to eliminate select regions.

show me the region that is eliminated under this proposal?  Can you name if for me?  Which region is it Mr. Sec, which region explicitly, that is eliminated?

As was said, it is clear that the Midwest that is being "targeted."  I understand there is more than a little bit of concern about the way the Midwest is run—I will be the first to say that no region of Atlasia should be a dictatorship, regardless of how popular said dictator may be.

But again, the region that needs the most immediate attention is the Southeast.  This may very well be a self-correcting problem: a weak region with a virtually uncontested Senate seat and Governor's office should, at least in theory, be a magnet for ambitious conservatives.  I'd like to actually figure out how to enable that before taking away or neutering their one sole "safe" outlet for power.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies