What mainly caused the Civil War? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:35:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What mainly caused the Civil War? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What mainly caused the Civil War?
Slavery

State's Rights

Tarrifs

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: What mainly caused the Civil War?  (Read 30766 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: June 30, 2008, 12:51:02 AM »

Anyone who thinks that slavery was the majority cause is brainwashed.  As J.J. points out, slavery was quite popular in many areas that didn't secede, and it was not hugely popular in some places that did (North Carolina being a prime example).  Add to that the fact that 3 out of the 4 most important states in the Confederate war effort (Tennessee, Virginia and North Carolina) didn't secede until after Lincoln called for troops.

Was slavery a cause?  Sure.  Was it the cause?  No.  Slavery was just one issue out of many that contributed to the animosity between North and South that had existed since 1775.  Of course, PC history, enforced by the Ivory Tower in the Northeast, tells us that slavery was basically the only cause and it was good vs evil, etc, etc.  Usually, anytime history is taught that way, it should cause you to raise an eyebrow.  Almost nothing is that simple.  The war became about slavery, but only after the fact.  As Grant himself said, "If I thought this war was about freeing the slaves, I would resign my commission right now." 

Were some people fighting for that?  Sure.  But don't forget, the South was willing to sacrafice slavery, in the end, to gain Independence.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 02:29:10 AM »

Why would we be jealous of your slave system?
Northern industry wanted to capitalize it in order to dominate the southern economy for their own interest.
Capitalism > slavery
Republicanism > Plutocracy

The Gilded Age came about a great deal because of the Civil War.

Part of the reason federal spending was so lax in the South was because the South refused to adopt railroads, and instead remained committed to a doomed canal system.  It wasn't Plutocracy, it was the outright rejection of progress by the South.  Had they modernized, they wouldn't have felt the sting.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:19:07 AM »

This is why I love talking about the Civil War... my comments which tread the middle way get totally ignored, because you are either a traitorous, Constitution burning, slavery loving, backwards redneck

or

you must be a traitorous, Constitution abusing, money grubbing, raping, pillaging, tyrannical asshole... there can be no middle ground. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies