What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:13:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 635620 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2008, 02:14:05 AM »

Capricorn One (1978)

What can I say. Sunday afternoon films are dodgy and so is Capricorn One. OJ Simpson as an astronaut come on? The only realistic part about Capricorn One was when OJ wore two black gloves!
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2008, 05:43:06 PM »

Speaking of Silent films, I happened to see one myself a few days ago. I believe it was called The Boob and come out in 1906 or there abouts (I think). Did the music drive me up the wall, I know it almost drove my Mum to insanity.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »

Bobby.

Excellent. And all the people in the movie and how they felt toward RFK reminds me of modern day support for Obama. Oh what a chance we have...

My thoughts exactly. I should really get Bobby on DVD.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2008, 04:47:21 PM »

Superbad (2007)

Finally, after months of waiting I saw Superbad. Boy was that a funny film. McLovin is so cool.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2008, 02:32:29 AM »

Red Dawn.

My Mum didn't believe that the American pilot in the film wasn't Powers Boothe. What a great feeling it was proving her wrong Smiley.

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2008, 03:38:37 AM »

The Naked Gun 2˝: The Smell of Fear

And I thought Leslie Nielsen was only funny in the 1980 film Flying High!, I was proven wrong in the Naked Gun and in The Naked Gun 2˝: The Smell of Fear, which played back-to-back last night. So many funny quotes in that film, especially the pictures in the background when he's at the Blues Bar. Michael Dukakis, The San Fransico Earthquake of 1906, Neville Chamberlain. Hehe.

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2008, 03:29:11 AM »

The Patriot (2000)

One of my favourite historical films I have seen today. We have seen three films in American History, and this one was the best one my teacher has shown us. I know I'd rather watch The Patriot anyday over Kevin Costner's 1991 "classic" Dances with Wolves.

Whilst Mel Gibson is featured more so in the film than Jason Isaacs, it is indeed Issacs who steals Gibson's "sunshine" the film. Jason Isaacs was so convincing as an actor in the film, thanks to his barbaric nature towards the American Revolutionary War as British Colonel William Tavington, that for a moment I believed that he was a cruel and insane human being. But that all ended once I saw an interview, conducted by Richard Wilkins some years ago and he seemed to be a very nice fellow.

Shame Isaacs wasn't nominated for an Academy Award for his role in the Patriot. If he was he would have had a good shot at winning one, even though it was a certainty that Jim Broadbent would win for his role in Iris.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2008, 07:47:52 PM »

Shame Isaacs wasn't nominated for an Academy Award for his role in the Patriot. If he was he would have had a good shot at winning one, even though it was a certainty that Jim Broadbent would win for his role in Iris.

actually, most publications had McKellan as the odds-on favorite to win that year.  and Isaacs couldn't have won, the film had such middling reviews.

Thanks for your insight. I actually assumed that Broadbent was the odds on favourite to win the Oscar back at the 74th Academy Awards, thanks to his win in the Golden Globes.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2008, 09:12:19 PM »

Death at a Funeral (2007)

One of the funniest films I have seen this year and probably in my lifetime. After watching the first ten minutes of the film I thought the film critics had led me on, but thankfully I was proven wrong. A film I highly reccomend for anybody.

The US vs. John Lennon (2007)

A very good documentary, which was both a learning experience about the Anti-War protest movement of the late 1960's early 1970's, thanks to the likes of Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin but it was also insightful film to watch.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2008, 03:56:50 AM »

Charlie Wilson's War (2007)

Saw Charlie Wilson's War for the second time last night, such a great film. It goes hand in hand with a great cast and a great script, produced by the master of political drama Aaron Sorkin. If Philip Seymour Hoffman wasn't up against Javier Bardem of No Country for Old Men for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar he probably would have won it, or so I think. He was great.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2008, 01:45:43 AM »

Don's Party (1976)

One of the best Australian films I have seen to date. Although I really enjoyed the film, thanks to Graham Kennedy's performance of Mack, I believe that the original 1971 play would be better than the film, as Don's actual party didn't work for me whilst watching the film.

Clubland (2007)

I didn't know what to expect when I sat down to watch this film this afternoon. However what opinions I had of the film prior to my viewing of it changed. I thought it was an engaging story, filled with both humour and sadness. Brenda Blethyn was brilliant, likewise Richard Wilson playing the mentally handicapped Mark.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2008, 07:16:49 PM »

The Dark Knight

I finally saw it and I thought it was brilliant. Despite seeing it in a mainstream cinema, when I wanted it to see it at my local arthouse theatre. However,  seeing The Dark Knight at the mainstream cinema didn't change my opinion of the film.

Heath Ledger as the Joker and Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent were superb in their respective roles. In my personal opinion, The Dark Knight, without those two pivotal actors, in those roles wouldn't have been as good as it was, despite The Dark Knight starring, Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman Wink
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2008, 06:57:18 AM »

Gone Baby Gone (2007)

Although I feared the worst when my Philosophy teacher told us that Gone Baby Gone was directed by Ben Affleck, I was surprised to find out, that for a film directed by Ben Affleck could actually be a very good film. I found the film to be captivating from the start right until the finish. However, the only downside about Gone Baby Gone was Morgan Freeman. We all know that Morgan Freeman is an outstanding actor, however I feel that the film could have been even better had Freeman appeared more throughout the film, afterall he is Morgan Freeman Wink.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2008, 03:30:38 AM »

Tropic Thunder (2008)

A very good film, a funny one at that. I was surprised how well Tom Cruise could play a prick though Tongue
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2008, 04:35:49 AM »

In Bruges (2008)

A very good film, filled with great humour and tragic moments. Who would have thought that two Irish gangsters would hide out in the reclusive town of Bruges[url] situated in the Flemish region of Belgium.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »

12 Angry Men.

A great film. Henry Fonda was superb!
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2008, 03:48:44 PM »

12 Angry Men.

A great film. Henry Fonda was superb!

One of my favorites.  My Dad made me watch it when I was a kid and I have loved it ever since.

Quite similar to myself, except my Mum made me watch it. It was an excellent decision on her behalf that's for sure Smiley
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2008, 12:50:58 AM »

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Overall it was one the best films I have seen in a longtime. The cast was superb, with Jack Nicholson as Randle P. McMurphy as the standout. Though I do give honourable mentions to Louise Fletcher who played Nurse Ratched. However, I was slightly disapointed by the duration of the film, particularly towards the end of the film. Miloš Forman should have sped it up.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2008, 04:32:07 PM »

I know the town where they filmed that very well. The film is disturbingly accurate in so many ways.

Al, for the greater good is it disturbingly accurate on so many levels?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2008, 03:42:42 AM »

JFK (1991)

One of Stone's better films, however like a vast majority of his films, JFK went for far too long. However, a part from the duration factor I profoundly enjoyed it. Surprisingly for the first time I considered Kevin Costner to be a good actor!
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2008, 05:54:45 AM »

Hunger

It was a good film. One of the police officers in the film had an uncanny resemblance to my deceased Grandfather on my Father's side. Shame he was beating the absolute shit out of those who orchestrated the second hunger strike, but then again Sands, etc were bringing it upon themselves....
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2008, 02:46:43 AM »

I've yet to seen it, but I can assure you that the Burgess' novel is more so weird. But then again, this is Kubrick we are talking about, so a vast majority of his films are bound to be weird.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2008, 04:31:56 AM »

This should cheer you up about your depressing experience at the cinema Nathan!

Anyway, the last film I did see was Mission to Mars, or should I say, the last thirty minutes of the feature. The chances are greater that I would be able to understand Ulysses by James Joyce more so rather than the conclusion of the film.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »

Frost/Nixon

Much better than I expected. Both Sheen and Langella were superb in their respective roles.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2009, 05:41:03 AM »

The Wrestler (2008)

Although I have only seen two films at the cinemas this year, the other one being arguably one of the worst films of 2009, The Day The Earth Stood Still, the latest film from Darren Aronofsky would easily be the best film I have seen for the year to date. It was BRILLIANT. Mickey Rourke, as I expected, was fantastic, as was Evan Rachel Wood. The only concern I had about the film was the casting of Marisa Tomei as Cassidy/Pam. Anyone could have played her role.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies