What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:18:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 626431 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: April 16, 2008, 03:29:58 PM »

This has slipped down so I thought I'd resurrect it with my most recently watched films:

Three Colours: Blue
Badlands
Three Colours: White
Casablanca
The Seventh Seal
The Thin Red Line

Greatly enjoyed all of them and some absolutely stunning cinematography on offer, particularly from Malick and Kiéslowski's films. I don't know how Saving Private Ryan beat out The Thin Red line for that Academy Award.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1576 on: April 16, 2008, 03:34:23 PM »

The Great Train Robbery (1903), Edwin S. Porter's movie is often called the first Western with a fully defined narrative structure. It features things such as chase scenes, cross-cutting, and a man firing a pistol straight at the screen! Though with the amount of smoke that goes up and without sound or suspense, it's not scary to the modern viewer.
Only pre-30s movie I have ever thoroughly enjoyed.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #1577 on: April 16, 2008, 04:39:12 PM »

The Great Train Robbery (1903), Edwin S. Porter's movie is often called the first Western with a fully defined narrative structure. It features things such as chase scenes, cross-cutting, and a man firing a pistol straight at the screen! Though with the amount of smoke that goes up and without sound or suspense, it's not scary to the modern viewer.

Really?  I think some of the Charlie Chaplin silents are entertaining.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1578 on: April 16, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »

Really?  I think some of the Charlie Chaplin silents are entertaining.

Quite true there aren't many genuinely entertaining silents by todays standards. Most silents were meant to be viewed in theater, with orchestral or narrative accompaniment, and sometimes they had color tinting which has since been lost. Therefore, no modern experience is going to be the same as its silver screen equivalent, especially since most of the time you can only view them on the Internet or on DVD. However, I have some hope for the following which I've not seen:
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Vampires
The Battleship Potemkin
Metropolis
The General
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1579 on: April 16, 2008, 05:39:30 PM »

Beet,

Have you been getting these silent films (the Melies particularly) off the internet or do you just have them on dvds? I've been looking for a copy of Voyage dans la lune for a while now.

Also, a silent film I enjoyed - mainly for the interesting hand-tinting - is Re Lear, an Italian version of King Lear from 1910. It's only 16 minutes long so doesn't take up much time at all!
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1580 on: April 16, 2008, 05:43:06 PM »

Speaking of Silent films, I happened to see one myself a few days ago. I believe it was called The Boob and come out in 1906 or there abouts (I think). Did the music drive me up the wall, I know it almost drove my Mum to insanity.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1581 on: April 16, 2008, 05:47:45 PM »

This has slipped down so I thought I'd resurrect it with my most recently watched films:

Three Colours: Blue
Badlands
Three Colours: White
Casablanca
The Seventh Seal
The Thin Red Line

Greatly enjoyed all of them and some absolutely stunning cinematography on offer, particularly from Malick and Kiéslowski's films. I don't know how Saving Private Ryan beat out The Thin Red line for that Academy Award.

Some pretty good films there. Haven't seen Badlands yet and found The Thin Red Line a tad overrated actually.

Now, about "Du, Levande" since I'm not sure what happened to my reply about that...Roy Andersson is a very unorthodox filmmaker. He wants to make films about rooms or environments rather than people. This means that most of his later films (though of course he's spectacularly unproductive, having made, I think, a grand total of 4 films throughout his career - breakthrough movie En Kärlekshistoria, the only one I've seen, pretty good, Gilliap, a commercial flop which ended his career for 20 years, Sånger från andra våningen, which won the Jury Prize at Cannes, IIRC, and this last one) break completely with traditional narrative styles. They're basically collections of a large number of episodes with different characters. It seems you're a real cineast though so I think you should check it out. If you can handle Resnais, you can handle this. Wink The comedy of the Scanian dialects will be hard to understand for a foreigner though. Tongue
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1582 on: April 16, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »

Well hopefully the arts theatre opposite my college at university will be showing it on my return.

Interested to hear you though Thin Red Line was overrated; I think it is absolutely stunning visually and for me really goes a long way towards emphasising the transience of our existence. I definitely prefer it to Saving Private Ryan which came out the same year. I have to say, I think Spielberg is a bit overrated (although shock horror I haven't seen Schindler's List).

Anyway, I'd hope to be at least a bit of a cineast, I'd very much like to work in the industry and am planning to apply to film schools after university: Director/Writer works for me!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1583 on: April 16, 2008, 06:09:33 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2008, 06:12:17 PM by Beet »

Beet,

Have you been getting these silent films (the Melies particularly) off the internet or do you just have them on dvds? I've been looking for a copy of Voyage dans la lune for a while now.

Also, a silent film I enjoyed - mainly for the interesting hand-tinting - is Re Lear, an Italian version of King Lear from 1910. It's only 16 minutes long so doesn't take up much time at all!

I have them on DVD (which has the "original" narration script) but here you go-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbGd_240ynk

Part 2 should be on the list off to the right.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1584 on: April 17, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »

Well hopefully the arts theatre opposite my college at university will be showing it on my return.

Interested to hear you though Thin Red Line was overrated; I think it is absolutely stunning visually and for me really goes a long way towards emphasising the transience of our existence. I definitely prefer it to Saving Private Ryan which came out the same year. I have to say, I think Spielberg is a bit overrated (although shock horror I haven't seen Schindler's List).

Anyway, I'd hope to be at least a bit of a cineast, I'd very much like to work in the industry and am planning to apply to film schools after university: Director/Writer works for me!

Saving Private Ryan I can't speak for, but you're probably right. Not a big Spielberg fan myself either. It's possible I wasn't quite in the mood for TRL at the time...might have to rewatch it.

I try to be somewhat cineastic myself, it's an excellent art form.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #1585 on: April 18, 2008, 04:35:53 AM »

Nostalgia.

A masterpiece, like all of Tarkovsky's films.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1586 on: April 18, 2008, 12:06:32 PM »

Anatomy of a Murder (1959), James Stewart, George C. Scott, D: Otto Preminger. Based off the novel by Michigan Supreme Court Justice John D. Voelker. Also in this as judge is Joseph Welch, of "have you no shame?" fame in the Army-McCarthy trials. I liked this more than 12 Angry Men (1957) or any other trial movie I have ever seen (although a 1989 ABA ranking disagrees), because almost every courtroom scene is filled with not only witty and entertaining dialogue but legalistic insight.

The French Connection (1971), Gene Hackman, D: William Friedkin. An early seventies crime thriller like many others at the time and many other crime thrillers to follow, but done much better than most. Many excellent, neo-realist scenes of suspense and unforgettable performance by Hackman. "Ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?"
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1587 on: April 18, 2008, 05:14:31 PM »

Just saw the new Mike Leigh film Happy-Go-Lucky. It was good but some of the characterizations were a bit too stereotypical for my liking. There's no real plot to speak of, it's more of a slice of life which is good, but you don't really see how anything turns out. Very strongly acted though and some nice camerawork although I can't say the same for the use of music, I thought it could have been used better.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1588 on: April 21, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »

Bobby.

Excellent. And all the people in the movie and how they felt toward RFK reminds me of modern day support for Obama. Oh what a chance we have...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1589 on: April 21, 2008, 01:54:35 AM »

Flight of the Living-meh.  It's zombies...ON A PLANE!

Street Fight-Documentary about the Newark mayoral election of 2002.  Suprisingly sad that this kind of political tactics is still allowed in this country.  Sharpe James and a lot of cops should be in jail.  (wiki)  Ahhh, it seems he's heading that way or is already there.  Good.

I'm watching Right at your Door right now.  Good stuff so far.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1590 on: April 21, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »

Bobby.

Excellent. And all the people in the movie and how they felt toward RFK reminds me of modern day support for Obama. Oh what a chance we have...

My thoughts exactly. I should really get Bobby on DVD.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1591 on: April 21, 2008, 08:32:07 AM »

I Spy
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1592 on: April 21, 2008, 10:11:52 AM »

The Boys and Girls Guide to Getting Down

Pretty funny actually.  It's pretty accurate too.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1593 on: April 21, 2008, 10:49:09 AM »

I've seen In Bruges, Lars and the Real Girl, Diving Bell & the Butterfly, Live & Become, and part of The Singing Revolution in the last week. I highly recommend the first three.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1594 on: April 21, 2008, 01:41:01 PM »

Rope (1948), James Stewart, D: Alfred Hitchcock and An Affair to Remember (1957), Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr D: Leo McCarey. Both a little crappy/disappointing. However, it is interesting that

(1) Stewart looks the same age to me no matter what movie he's in.

(2) Meeting at the top of the Empire State Building is apparently game-theoretically rational!:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.progressiveu.org/210408-abc-tests-game-theory-a-must-read-facinating
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1595 on: April 21, 2008, 02:22:30 PM »

I saw "The Forbidden Kingdom" Saturday.  Very good movie, and a must to watch in the theaters.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1596 on: April 22, 2008, 12:20:57 PM »

Paper Moon (1973), Ryan O'Neal, Tatum O'Neal, Madeleine Kahn, D: Peter Bogdanovich
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #1597 on: April 24, 2008, 06:45:21 AM »

Three Times

Very good Taiwanese film. It's fairly obvious that Asia has now taken Europe's mantle as the mecca of great art cinema.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1598 on: April 24, 2008, 11:40:53 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2008, 01:54:30 AM by Beet »

Broken Blossoms (1919), Lillian Gish, Richard Barthelmess, D: D.W. Griffith

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1919), Werner Krauss, Conrad Veidt, D: Robert Wiene. Ravishingly haunting.

It's humorous to see the exaggerated, theatrical movements that actors made those days as a substitute for the realism that has dominated most of the time since.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1599 on: April 25, 2008, 02:14:38 AM »

Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay.

Awesome. Brilliant. Amazing. Everything one would expect. Another cinematic masterpiece.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies