Music Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:16:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Music Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Music Megathread  (Read 346395 times)
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« on: April 21, 2024, 04:39:20 PM »

As it is written elsewhere on The Internet, where the beer is free and "DİKKAT: KÖPEK VAR" is a meaningless sentence:
Lana Del Rey has made her affinity for the book "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov pretty clear, mainly through the references to the book in her music. In the song "Off To The Races," she uses the book's opening lines, "Light of my life, fire of my loins." She also makes a more obvious reference to the book in her son [sic] "Lolita," repeatedly crooning, "Hey Lolita, hey."

If you're planning to give "Lolita" a read yourself, though, just keep in mind that it has some dark content. The book was first released in 1955 and tells the story of a man who develops an obsession with a 12-year-old girl. He then becomes her stepfather, before kidnapping and abusing her. Because of its sensitive content, "Lolita" had previously been banned around the world. In the 1950s and 1960s, France, England, Argentina, and New Zealand all stopped the book from being read or produced for a few years.

(British authorities allowed its publication after the Lady Chatterley's Lover case; it is today retailed by Penguin using the cover image shown in the linked article. Can't attest as to elsewhere, and have therefore left my copy up in Scotland while I'm on holiday. Can confirm that it is one of the greatest literary works of the 20th Century.)

If Taylor Swift is doing a Lana impression... no wonder she's calling it The Tortured Poets Department.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies