Opinion of Sikhism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:08:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Sikhism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Sikhism
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Opinion of Sikhism  (Read 14045 times)
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« on: July 23, 2019, 02:26:37 AM »

Guys, the logic is pretty simple:

Religion A makes a claim about the world and divinity.
Religion B makes a separate claim.
Therefore Religion A and Religion B have conflicting claims.
Therefore Religion A and Religion B can not BOTH be correct.
Therefore if one adheres to Religion A, they must believe Religion B is a false religion and vice-versa.

Anyone who claims to be a Christian and doesn't believe all non-Christian religions are false must have some serious logical reasoning problems.

What a sad, blinkered view of religion you have.

You think simple logical syllogisms are sad and blinkered? Good grief.

I think that reducing religion to a competing, zero sum set of logical claims is sad and blinkered, yes.

Can you actually debunk this instead of just dismissing it?

Like if I believe in Jesus how can I believe a religion that rejects the divinity of Jesus is also true?

Please show me where Hinduism at-large -- to the extent that there even is a practical "Hinduism at-large" -- materially rejects the divinity of Jesus.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 11:19:55 AM »

Guys, the logic is pretty simple:

Religion A makes a claim about the world and divinity.
Religion B makes a separate claim.
Therefore Religion A and Religion B have conflicting claims.
Therefore Religion A and Religion B can not BOTH be correct.
Therefore if one adheres to Religion A, they must believe Religion B is a false religion and vice-versa.

Anyone who claims to be a Christian and doesn't believe all non-Christian religions are false must have some serious logical reasoning problems.

What a sad, blinkered view of religion you have.

You think simple logical syllogisms are sad and blinkered? Good grief.

I think that reducing religion to a competing, zero sum set of logical claims is sad and blinkered, yes.

Can you actually debunk this instead of just dismissing it?

Like if I believe in Jesus how can I believe a religion that rejects the divinity of Jesus is also true?

Please show me where Hinduism at-large -- to the extent that there even is a practical "Hinduism at-large" -- materially rejects the divinity of Jesus.
It makes no sense to believe in all those elephant gods or whatever and also believe Jesus was God.

Ah, there we go.

Hey, everyone! He said the quiet part out loud!
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 07:53:22 PM »

For anyone who doesn't know: Sikhism is a monotheist religion. It is "unitarian", of course, so anyone who holds to trinitarian ideas will not necessarily find it completely compatible with Christianity.

It is not Hindu, despite a few similarities. Not everyone who is a hindu is polytheist, anyway.

Seconding this. It is worth noting that in the United States, Hindus, Sikhs, and Jains occasionally share holy spaces out of necessity because of the partial overlap that does exist, but they are three ultimately distinct traditions.

I don't know if even most Hindus are "polytheistic." In a literal sense, most Hindus revere more than one deity, of course, which is a form of polytheism, but it really would seem to depend as much on philosophy as individual psychology. Are deities "Gods" or are they godly? I'm not sure there is a consensus within Hinduism.

Finally providing an actual take on the topic at hand -- I am not as well-versed in Sikhism as I am in other Dharmic traditions. I was trained to view Sikhism as a synthesis of Hinduism and Islam, and I've come to disagree with that view on a historical basis, though there is a useful Venn diagram to be made there.

I appreciate much about the relatively basic information I have retained about Sikhism. The main reason I have not investigated Sikhism more on a personal level is that I do not find it especially helpful to demarcate the godhead as an entity in and of itself separate from Being, or as singular in nature. I prefer a totalistic characterization, and I have found the Upanishads personally resonant to that end.

I also am not very keen on the level of reverence Sikhism seems to require for specific authors who wrote specific things and made specific contributions to "Sikhism-in-and-of-Itself." I recognize this is not inherently any better or worse than using reformers to justify abstract doctrinal/thought movement, or using figures of debatable historicity to communicate the same ideas. I just find it harder to accept.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies