When does a 'child' become an 'adult' in Christianity? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:39:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  When does a 'child' become an 'adult' in Christianity? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When does a 'child' become an 'adult' in Christianity?  (Read 2049 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: July 07, 2013, 11:07:42 PM »

In Catholicism the answer is at Confirmation. That is when the teen has decided to affirm for his or herself that they really believe in the Church's teachings. The effective result in society, however, is that children become adults when they leave their parents to go to college because until then the parents are really making many decisions for the child.

The notion of childlike innocence implies a much younger age than when people effectively become adults. This innocence takes on the understanding that children are too young to discern or understand or consent to most sins and thus commit few.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:38:13 PM »

Yeah, I will agree with you BRTD (write that on the calendar Tongue) that Confirmation is done at too young an age for the individual statement to truly be meaningful. I think waiting until 17 or 18 would be preferable.

Additionally, most Catholics are pretty badly catechized and four more years should help with that some. Granted my 14 year old self would have balked at 4 more years of CCD class, but that's adolescence for you Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies