Will Bain Capital turn into Romney's Swift Boat? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:43:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will Bain Capital turn into Romney's Swift Boat? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: By dooming the Romney campaign?
Yes

No

Too early to tell

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Will Bain Capital turn into Romney's Swift Boat?  (Read 1996 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: July 19, 2012, 12:43:45 AM »

The Obama team is trying hard. But I think Romney has done a far better job countering it than John Kerry; plus he expected it, and everyone saw it coming. No one saw the Swift Boat guys coming, I mean Clinton didn't do that to Bob Dole. Consider this: neither convention is underway for more than a month; yet with all the attacks, Romney is still in the MoE against an incumbent wartime President, and Obama is picking up no new states in any polls.

Kerry was up 2 points at this time in 2004.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 01:18:13 AM »

The Obama team is trying hard. But I think Romney has done a far better job countering it than John Kerry; plus he expected it, and everyone saw it coming. No one saw the Swift Boat guys coming, I mean Clinton didn't do that to Bob Dole. Consider this: neither convention is underway for more than a month; yet with all the attacks, Romney is still in the MoE against an incumbent wartime President, and Obama is picking up no new states in any polls.

Kerry was up 2 points at this time in 2004.
yes, thats MoE, but Romney has hit back harder and more effectively against the attacks than Kerry did, and goes after Obama, where Kerry tried to not go negative. Americans, knowning that Romney is rich as hell and helped rich people get richer, a flip-flop, and a one term Mormon governor, still often say he would do as good a job or better on the economy http://pollingreport.com/wh12.htm,

Remember the 1932, 1980, 1992, and 2008 elections: when a bad economy is the focus, the incumbent party gets the boot.

But all those cases there was a legit alternative to the incumbent.

This logic is faulty IMO. "The economy sucks, so lets vote for Mitt." it doesn't work like that, Romney has to make case for people to vote for him. If 2004 is a lesson, people just won't vote for crap.
The economy was not the focus of the 2004 race: national security was. The economy was seen as "alright," or "good," whereas in the election years I mentioned and this one, its seen as "bad," or "poor." No one thought we were in recession in 2004 although many did not see it as great compared to the Clinton/Reagan years, now they call the economy part of "The Great Recession." Bush II's term is, and is seen, as largely responsible, but now that a vulnerable incumbent is in office, this is why 2012 is a toss up.

Bush had a net loss in jobs as of election day, and there's a decent chance that Obama won't.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies