The Strange Death of the National Party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:58:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Strange Death of the National Party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Strange Death of the National Party  (Read 2820 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: August 09, 2004, 05:19:13 PM »

Requirement of democracy: competitive elections.

As far as South Africa, anyone with half, maybe even a quarter, of a brain can tell it's going downhill. It's upside is a smaller version of Nigeria, which I guess isn't too bad. They still have resources.

I agree the future does not look good for South Africa.  
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 04:43:40 PM »

Note: by any agreed upon definition, South Africa is not a democracy, and never has been- though the Apartheid regime comes closer to a textbook definition.

Thus, "politics" there is largely irrelevant. In 50 years, there won't be any whites left there, and most probably not all that many blacks the way AIDS is going.

You are sick

He isn't wrong though-1/3 of south african have aids, with that number expected to reach almost 50% by 2020,

Interestingly, the hiv rate among white South Africans is extremely low - around British levels.  On the other hand, 1/3 is probably an exagerration - 20% is more realistic, however still horrific.  Hiv rates tend to be exaggerated for obvious reasons.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 05:49:10 AM »

I should have clarified: the whites will have emigrated or been killed, while the blacks will suffer from AIDS.

AIDS, btw, could evolve to be substantially nastier if we continue to produce drugs that inhibit it without curing it. It might not be curable (in the forseeable future), if there are enough different strands. Nature has a tendency to get its way... Europe's population losses from the black plague were gargantuan... some places lost 2/3 in a short time span. AIDS works more slowly, but since it's victims live for years with the disease, it's difficult to isolate it or have it run its course.

Oh, I understood you - the whites would emigrate.  I know I would.

As for aids.. I don't think its going to be demographically that significant outside of Africa.  
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 03:45:42 PM »

They are traitors. And the better life argument doesn't hold water. It isn't as if they were living in Mongolia. They complain about apartheid all the time and say how the system would be so much better if the blacks were free. Then the blacks become free, and the country gets really bad, so they leave rather than try to work to make thier country a better place. You could NEVER say these people were/are patriotic. I think other countries could provide me with a better life, but I am a patriot and will not leave. If you would move to Britain if you thought it provided a better life than Australia then you are no patriot.

Good lord, this is like saying the Jews were traitors who fled Germany when Hitler came to power, or escapees from behind the Iron Curtain, or boat people from Cuba and Vietnam were traiters.  People have a right to flee ill-governed States to improve their lives.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 04:14:52 PM »

They are traitors. And the better life argument doesn't hold water. It isn't as if they were living in Mongolia. They complain about apartheid all the time and say how the system would be so much better if the blacks were free. Then the blacks become free, and the country gets really bad, so they leave rather than try to work to make thier country a better place. You could NEVER say these people were/are patriotic. I think other countries could provide me with a better life, but I am a patriot and will not leave. If you would move to Britain if you thought it provided a better life than Australia then you are no patriot.

Good lord, this is like saying the Jews were traitors who fled Germany when Hitler came to power, or escapees from behind the Iron Curtain, or boat people from Cuba and Vietnam were traiters.  People have a right to flee ill-governed States to improve their lives.

No it's not! Whites are not suffering from persecution and they have many opportunities to make a good living.

Yes, for now.. but they fear something like what's happened in Zimbabwe occuring in S.A.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies