Opinion of Zionism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:40:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Zionism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FI

HI

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Opinion of Zionism  (Read 1535 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 05, 2013, 10:56:07 PM »
« edited: December 05, 2013, 10:59:04 PM by Horus »

Started off as a FI but now extremely problematic and different from its former meaning, so HI.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:41:22 PM »

Nationalism is not a priori supportable.  We don't necessarily need to have one nation for Poles, one nation for Jews, one nation for Irish, etc.  That type of 19th century notion seems pretty silly in retrospect.   But, we only put Jewish nationalism through that sort of scrutiny.  Nobody asks whether Danes deserve a state or whether the US should give back its territory to Native Americans.

In light of that fact and the unrelenting oppression of Jews, it's reasonable to have a Jewish state in the homeland of the Jewish people.  So, I voted FI and consider myself a Zionist.  

But we Jews are a religion, the Danish are a nation. There are more Sikhs in this world than Jews yet I see no one calling for a Sikh homeland. Also, there is no unrelenting oppression of Jews. Jews in this country and most others tend to have higher income, education etc. than the average person in that country. Anti-Semitism OUTSIDE of Islam is confined to what few followers LaRouche has left, and neo-Nazis.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 12:03:34 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2013, 12:08:31 AM by Horus »

But we Jews are a religion, the Danish are a nation.

Jews are a group of people, with religious, ethnic and national ties.  Being Jewish is not only about religion.  That's just false.

There are more Sikhs in this world than Jews yet I see no one calling for a Sikh homeland.

Totally wrong.  Tell it to Indira Gandhi.  

Also, there is no unrelenting oppression of Jews. Jews in this country and most others tend to have higher income, education etc. than the average person in that country.

To the extent that's true, it because of resettlement of Jews into the Americas, Western Europe and Israel, and out of Arab countries and eastern Europe.  To the extent that Jews have a good life, it's not a reason to punish them or demand that they give up their homeland.

Anti-Semitism OUTSIDE of Islam is confined to what few followers LaRouche has left, and neo-Nazis.

America is largely not anti-Semitic, I agree with that.  Around the world, anti-Semitism is extremely common, if not evident because Jews tend to live in tolerant, first-world countries.  

I'll give you the point about Sikhs, but you are incorrect everywhere else. There are no national loyalties to Judaism. You seem to be implying that one cannot be a Jew without having loyalty to Israel, that is hogwash. If Jews were a people like the Danish, they would all have similar physical features. Ethiopian Jews and Russian Jews look nothing alike, just as Brazilian and South Korean Christians look nothing alike. Secondly, I'm not demanding anyone give up their homeland, there is no way to remove Israel at this point. Zionism has been corrupted by some who believe it gives Israelis a right to settle wherever they'd like, that's what must stop. Thirdly, no one is trying to "punish the Jews". Many Zionists make the mistake of thinking opposition to Israel is anti-Semitism, when that could not be further from the case.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »

I think that if Zionism is allowed to take full hold, it is the greatest chance to induce the spark that triggers WWIII. I firmly believe that Netanyahu is the greatest threat to world peace right now. Israel really needs to elect a more reasonable PM.

Didn't Zionism take full hold in 1948?  Any PM Israel elects is going to be Zionist. Even Meretz is a Zionist party.

I think what he means is Zionism in its current form. Zionism in 1948 meant something completely different.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies