Proposed EU Reforms (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:59:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Proposed EU Reforms (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should...
The European Commission be Democratically Elected (Yes)

The European Commission be Democratically Elected (No)

MEPs be Allowed to Propose Their Own Legislation (Yes)

MEPs be Allowed to Propose Their Own Legislation (No)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Proposed EU Reforms  (Read 365 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« on: November 03, 2019, 11:10:57 PM »

These are the two biggest problems I have with the EU as it stands. I can tell it was made with good intentions, and a peaceful, more cooperative Europe is, of course, a good thing, but these bits still strike me as extremely undemocratic. Debate things like immigration, fisheries, and so on all you'd like, but these, to me, are core issues that would have to be addressed first and foremost. In essence, I think the EU legislative system, leaving the Council, which basically works fine, alone, needs to resemble the US system more.

Thoughts?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 01:05:22 AM »

Just to better understand the question: What do you mean by "the European Commission should be democratically elected"? Unless I'm mistaken, it already is. The President of the Commission is for instance chosen by the European Council (where the democratically elected Heads of Government represent the member states) and then confirmed by the European Parliament (where the democratically elected MEPs represent the European voters).

I don't see how this is structurally different from (or less democratic than) other parliamentary systems (e.g. Germany, UK...) in which the Head of Government is elected by parliament. If anything, it's even more democratic as the candidate is proposed by the member states and not by a party.

I meant the Commission would then be elected directly by the people much as MEPs are; no degrees of separation. It would be kind of similar to the 17th Amendment in that respect. Appointed officeholders should hold legislative power, even if they are confirmed by the people's representatives. It's the same reason the Lords can't draft legislation themselves.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies