How long until an openly gay or lesbian candidate is viable for President? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:47:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How long until an openly gay or lesbian candidate is viable for President? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How long until an openly gay or lesbian candidate is viable for President?  (Read 3169 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 13, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »

You silly fools. I'll be declaring martial law and making myself President-for-Life after I win in 2016.  After I die in the inevitable revolution, Canada annexes the United States into the Dominion of North America, we won't have a President but a Governor General and a Prime Minister.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:36:03 PM »

Would you two please stop flaunting? Wink
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 12:38:07 AM »

Not at all.  A viable LGBT candidate will have to be like Obama in the sense that he credibly engaged in a campaign that was not centered on civil rights.  I'm not aware of any potential LGBT candidates for who that is true right now. It's possible that there is an LGBT college student right now could mount a viable campaign for President in 2040.  But even that time table would be extremely quick.  It is extremely understandable why civil rights is a central theme of any LGBT politician active right now, but Presidential campaigns are not won on the issue of civil rights, so any candidate whose background emphasizes that as their most important quality is not viable regardless of their sexual orientation.  You'd need a LGBT candidate who has not made LGBT rights their central focus in politics in order for them to be viable.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »

Not at all.  A viable LGBT candidate will have to be like Obama in the sense that he credibly engaged in a campaign that was not centered on civil rights.  I'm not aware of any potential LGBT candidates for who that is true right now
Yeah, but the thread isn't asking if any LGBT candidates right now are viable... just if they're viable in theory (like if one fitting your description existed now). And I think they are viable.

But because of the politics of LGBT rights and the LGBT community, any openly LGBT politician who doesn't have LGBT rights as a major part of what they bring to the table isn't going to be viable for any statewide or Federal office.  So I don't really see where it is possible for someone fitting my description to be in existence currently.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies