BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:48:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT  (Read 14459 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2010, 04:31:15 PM »

My prediction is at least 65-35 passage, if not 70-30 as a stand-alone bill.

65-35?  that's 7 out of 42 GOP Senators....no way.  every GOP member knows whoever votes for repeal of DADT will be primaried.  at most, you'll have 2-3 GOP defections.  The GOP is simply trying to stall until January, when there wont be a snow ball's chance of this passing.  They should be honest and state their opposition.

but, again, probably only half of the GOP Senators are social conservatives at heart.

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

LOL at Hatch. The guy has become worse than McCain (not that it will save him in the primary).

How so?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2010, 04:31:57 PM »

In other news, it appears that outgoing Senator Blanche Lincoln - who was on the wrong end of a 57% to 37% landslide, setting a new record for an incumbent Senator's defeat Wink - missed the vote because she was at a dentist appointment.

That's not actually true AFAIK.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2010, 04:32:14 PM »

65-35?  that's 7 out of 42 GOP Senators....no way.  every GOP member knows whoever votes for repeal of DADT will be primaried.  at most, you'll have 2-3 GOP defections.  The GOP is simply trying to stall until January, when there wont be a snow ball's chance of this passing.  They should be honest and state their opposition.

I can't believe that even extreme fiscal conservatives are going to be primaried for voting to repeal DADT in an age where most people are more worried about the economy and jobs

who are these "extreme fiscal conservatives" of the GOP who are leaning to vote for repeal? 
John Ensign would be considered one.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-sheet/item/gop-senators-hint-at-dadt-repeal/equal-rights
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »

but, again, probably only half of the GOP Senators are social conservatives at heart.

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

LOL at Hatch. The guy has become worse than McCain (not that it will save him in the primary).

How so?

How so what? Have you seen his voting record lately?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »

Being homosexual is as much a behavior as writing with your left hand.
or doing something else with your left hand
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2010, 04:46:50 PM »

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

Paul won't actually be sworn in until January though, right?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2010, 05:03:33 PM »

True, heterosexual sex isn't a behavior either. Guess your post dodges mean I'm right again.

Who the hell is taking about sex??

I find it rather interesting that the religious right who  are opposed to the repeal of DADT are always obsessed about the sexual aspect of homosexuality. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2010, 05:04:45 PM »

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

for the current congress you could replace Paul with Gregg. I also think Kirk and Lugar are more likely than Graham and Hatch.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »

True, heterosexual sex isn't a behavior either. Guess your post dodges mean I'm right again.

Who the hell is taking about sex??

I find it rather interesting that the religious right who  are opposed to the repeal of DADT are always obsessed about the sexual aspect of homosexuality. 

I find myself obsessed with the purely platonic aspect of homosexuality
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »

Couldn't the military separate gays into their own special unit? Women are already mostly separated from men, separate bunks, showers.

They don't do that in several other NATO countries and Israel, despite the fact that gays may serve openly; there is no evidence of any issues with unit cohesion, morale, or readiness in those countries' services.

We're talking about the US military. Co-ed units do not exist, should mixed hetero/homosexual units exist? I have no problem with the military separating behaviors, like men/women.

Why limit it to gender and sexual preference? Why not segregate the military Republican/Democrat? Introvert/extrovert? Baseball fan/football fan? Left-handed/right handed?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2010, 06:42:37 PM »

States, you're not making a valid comparison.  We segregate women from men because the sense is that basically "if you have women and men in close quarters with each other at all time, you're bound to lead to romantic entanglements" (i.e., you're asking for it).  Since it's the general consensus that romantic entanglements are a bad thing to have as a soldier (with your fellow soldiers, at least), we segregate by gender.

Splitting gay troops off into their own special units is bad for many, many reasons, but the one that makes your comparison futile is that gay men/lesbians presumably would want to get into romantic entanglements with other gay men/lesbians, and so putting gay men/lesbians in their own units would mean that, well, you're asking for it again.  I'm not saying that you're "asking for it" any more than you would be among gender-neutral units, but you're doing just the opposite of what's intended by gender separation.

The "ideal situation", if you only took this factor into account (very!  important!  caveat!), would be to have straight male units, straight female units, and units that somehow segregated into pairs of exactly one gay man and one lesbian woman, and that would be hard (not to mention the other five hundred million reasons why it would be bad idea, discriminatory, etc. etc.).
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2010, 08:50:25 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2010, 09:31:34 PM by memphis »

Memphis, behavior =/= race. Get it? So I suppose you support coed showers and bunking?

Dude, gays are already in the military. Many thousands of them. You're naive beyond belief if you don't know that. They're already in every public place you go and not all go around in feather boas and Lady Gaga teeshirts.  They're already in the showers and any other creepy place you can imagine. All repealing DADT would do would give the military some integrity in allowing people (who are risking their a$$es daily for you) to be honest about who they are.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2010, 12:52:43 AM »

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

Sorry, I was thinking next session, but they'd need more than 7 by that point.  But that list was just the first 7 that came to my mind.  I think there are more out there, those are just some that I'm nearly positive would vote for it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2010, 12:53:14 AM »

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

How so?

How so what? Have you seen his voting record lately?

But Hatch has openly said he's willing to repeal DADT.  McCain has been a lot more anti-repeal.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2010, 01:00:41 AM »

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

Sorry, I was thinking next session, but they'd need more than 7 by that point.  But that list was just the first 7 that came to my mind.  I think there are more out there, those are just some that I'm nearly positive would vote for it.

Keep in ming next session it would require it to pass in the House again, and that sure as hell isn't going to happen.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2010, 01:18:04 AM »

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

Keep in ming next session it would require it to pass in the House again, and that sure as hell isn't going to happen.

There's enough moderates in the House, for sure for it to pass.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2010, 01:21:25 AM »

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

Can we get over this myth of moderate Republicans?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2010, 01:24:04 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2010, 01:36:39 AM by Smash255 »

65-35?  that's 7 out of 42 GOP Senators....no way.  every GOP member knows whoever votes for repeal of DADT will be primaried.  at most, you'll have 2-3 GOP defections.  The GOP is simply trying to stall until January, when there wont be a snow ball's chance of this passing.  They should be honest and state their opposition.

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

Sorry, I was thinking next session, but they'd need more than 7 by that point.  But that list was just the first 7 that came to my mind.  I think there are more out there, those are just some that I'm nearly positive would vote for it.

LMAO.   You really have no clue what has happened to your party do you??

Only FIVE Republicans in the House voted for the Repeal when Patrick Murphy introduced it, FIVE, two of them were Cao & Dijou who will no longer be in the House (Biggert, Paul & Ros-Lehtinen) were the other three. 

No way in hell does a repeal pass in the House next session.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2010, 01:57:25 AM »

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

So, what are Lisa Murkowski, Olympia Snowe, Scott Brown, and Susan Collins?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2010, 01:59:17 AM »

And you have moderate governors... Jodi Rell, Governor-elect Rick Snyder right here in Michigan...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2010, 02:23:47 AM »

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

So, what are Lisa Murkowski, Olympia Snowe, Scott Brown, and Susan Collins?

Collins and Snowe are generally moderates, but even they have lurched right of late.  Murkowski and Brown are more of a traditional conservative, they just seem moderate because how far to the extreme right the rest of the party has lurched.

Again when Patrick Murphy had the DADT Amendment only five Republicans in the House voted for the repeal (two of which will no longer be in the house), so what the hell makes you think that enough GOP House members will suddenly now cross and vote for it?   Where are these votes going to come from?
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2010, 02:36:04 AM »

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

Would the House leadership bring it to the floor next Congress?
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2010, 02:38:28 AM »

65-35?  that's 7 out of 42 GOP Senators....no way.  every GOP member knows whoever votes for repeal of DADT will be primaried.  at most, you'll have 2-3 GOP defections.  The GOP is simply trying to stall until January, when there wont be a snow ball's chance of this passing.  They should be honest and state their opposition.

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

Sorry, I was thinking next session, but they'd need more than 7 by that point.  But that list was just the first 7 that came to my mind.  I think there are more out there, those are just some that I'm nearly positive would vote for it.

LMAO.   You really have no clue what has happened to your party do you??

Only FIVE Republicans in the House voted for the Repeal when Patrick Murphy introduced it, FIVE, two of them were Cao & Dijou who will no longer be in the House (Biggert, Paul & Ros-Lehtinen) were the other three. 

No way in hell does a repeal pass in the House next session.

Because the Republicans will be the majority party, there will probably be more moderates.  Still, I don't think there's any guarantee any repeal of DADT would be brought to the floor.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2010, 02:45:08 AM »

Smash, much of the objection there was that that DoD's report had yet to come out.  Now that it's out, I think we'll see more Republicans vote for it.
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #149 on: December 11, 2010, 02:45:47 AM »

Smash, much of the objection there was that that DoD's report had yet to come out.  Now that it's out, I think we'll see more Republicans vote for it.

Good point.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies