BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:38:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT  (Read 14495 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2010, 02:47:57 AM »

My prediction is at least 65-35 passage, if not 70-30 as a stand-alone bill.

65-35?  that's 7 out of 42 GOP Senators....no way.  every GOP member knows whoever votes for repeal of DADT will be primaried.  at most, you'll have 2-3 GOP defections.  The GOP is simply trying to stall until January, when there wont be a snow ball's chance of this passing.  They should be honest and state their opposition.

but, again, probably only half of the GOP Senators are social conservatives at heart.

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

Paul won't actually be sworn in until January though, right?

Sorry, I was thinking next session, but they'd need more than 7 by that point.  But that list was just the first 7 that came to my mind.  I think there are more out there, those are just some that I'm nearly positive would vote for it.

Keep in ming next session it would require it to pass in the House again, and that sure as hell isn't going to happen.

There's enough moderates in the House, for sure for it to pass.

Would the House leadership bring it to the floor next Congress?

No.  Boehner would never let it come to the floor in the first place.  That's why the only way it's going to be repealed any time soon is if they bring up a standalone version in the lame duck session (which means within the next two weeks), and a couple of the Senators who blocked it this time (like Snowe, Brown, and Manchin) switch their votes.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2010, 02:54:55 AM »

Smash, much of the objection there was that that DoD's report had yet to come out.  Now that it's out, I think we'll see more Republicans vote for it.

At least another 22?  I doubt it.....

Not to mention as others have said, no way Boehner brings it to the floor.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2010, 03:09:33 AM »

Smash, much of the objection there was that that DoD's report had yet to come out.  Now that it's out, I think we'll see more Republicans vote for it.

Now that the report is out, I see no reason for Boehner to object.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2010, 03:27:29 AM »

You really have no idea how far to the right the GOP has become....  The report won't mean a damn thing to Boehner or the vast majority of the GOP.   It has no chance of passing Congress unless it passes this session.  No way in hell does the Boehner or the GOP allow it
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2010, 03:34:59 AM »

You really have no idea how far to the right the GOP has become....  The report won't mean a damn thing to Boehner or the vast majority of the GOP.   It has no chance of passing Congress unless it passes this session.  No way in hell does the Boehner or the GOP allow it

The Republicans would block it simply because Obama and the Democrats support it.
Hell, if the Democrats passed a measure simply stating that the sky is blue, the Republicans would object to it and call it an anti-American, communist measure at this point.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2010, 03:43:28 AM »

The Republicans would block it simply because Obama and the Democrats support it.
Hell, if the Democrats passed a measure simply stating that the sky is blue, the Republicans would object to it and call it an anti-American, communist measure at this point.

I have no doubt that some would... I just have more hope that the majority of my party wouldn't.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2010, 03:45:24 AM »

Well States the blacks could just paint themselves white so that they could be "normal" like you want them.   After all, that's essentially what you're asking gay and lesbian men and women to do.

For the five hundredth time, homosexuality is a BEHAVIOR it's not the same as race.

If you think homosexuality is a choice, you shouldn't be calling anyone an idiot.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2010, 03:47:20 AM »

Well States the blacks could just paint themselves white so that they could be "normal" like you want them.   After all, that's essentially what you're asking gay and lesbian men and women to do.

For the five hundredth time, homosexuality is a BEHAVIOR it's not the same as race.

If you think homosexuality is a choice, you shouldn't be calling anyone an idiot.

Exactly. I'm straight; I didn't choose to be attracted to women. I just am. I imagine it's the same for gays.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2010, 03:50:12 AM »

"Well technically, if you would follow their environmental policy they would end up right"   Jon Stewart on the Republicans saying no to Obama that the ski was blue.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2010, 03:55:32 AM »

True, heterosexual sex isn't a behavior either. Guess your post dodges mean I'm right again.

Who the hell is taking about sex??

I find it rather interesting that the religious right who  are opposed to the repeal of DADT are always obsessed about the sexual aspect of homosexuality.  

Of course they are. They can't imagine that a gay person could be a normal human being who acts professionally and keeps their private and professional lives separate. No, to them every gay person is a promiscuous "fabulous" flamer. Roll Eyes
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2010, 04:05:41 AM »

I think you're being a bit naive here.....

Anyways we'll see how this plays out. Especially now that the military is totally behind it. If the Republicans vote against DADT repeal even when it's the only issue in the bill, then you will see their true colors. Or not. Maybe you will just try to find some other excuse why they voted against it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2010, 08:58:18 AM »

There is no way Boehner is going to bring up repeal. It's not that he has to object, he just won't do it. It's too divisive for his caucus and Republicans (like Democrats) don't have a history of bringing up legislation that is supported by a large majority of their opponents and only the most moderate members of their own caucus.

If DADT isn't repealed in this Congress, conservative Republicans will have killed it with the easy acquiescence of moderate Republicans. We need to be honest about that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies