Should only women decide on abortion? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 04:58:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should only women decide on abortion? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Should only women decide on abortion?  (Read 1396 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 22, 2010, 03:01:53 PM »

Yes, most definitely. At the same time, men should not be compelled to support the child if the woman does not abort.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:12:48 PM »

Yes, most definitely. At the same time, men should not be compelled to support the child if the woman does not abort.

What about the opposite........what if the man wants the child and will raise it on his own if need be, and the mother wants to abort it?  Same answer?

Yes, unfortunately. It's her body & if she doesn't want the fetus growing inside of it, I think that it would be wrong to force her to carry it to term.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 03:25:48 PM »

What about the opposite........what if the man wants the child and will raise it on his own if need be, and the mother wants to abort it?  Same answer?

Yes, unfortunately. It's her body & if she doesn't want the fetus growing inside of it, I think that it would be wrong to force her to carry it to term.

Well, yes, I agree that's the way it is and will always be, I'm just not so sure it's "right", if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It would be nice if they could remove the fetus at any stage & put it in an artificial uterus or a surrogate mother should the father want it but the mother not, but I think that's some ways off.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 06:44:13 PM »

I've been arguing that the fact that women can opt-out of the child care by having an abortion while men don't have the same option available is wrong for some time. Glad to see someone shares my opinion. I think the cumpolsory abortion on the request of the father would be too harsh, though.

Not only that, but allowing the father to force the mother into having an abortion would contradict the principle libertarian argument in favor of abortion rights. After all, if the mother has the right to remove the fetus at will because she owns her own body, wouldn't giving someone else say over whether she keeps or removes it be a critical infringement on her jurisdiction over her own body?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 10:47:08 PM »

I've been arguing that the fact that women can opt-out of the child care by having an abortion while men don't have the same option available is wrong for some time. Glad to see someone shares my opinion. I think the cumpolsory abortion on the request of the father would be too harsh, though.

Not only that, but allowing the father to force the mother into having an abortion would contradict the principle libertarian argument in favor of abortion rights. After all, if the mother has the right to remove the fetus at will because she owns her own body, wouldn't giving someone else say over whether she keeps or removes it be a critical infringement on her jurisdiction over her own body?

Doesn't sound libertarian to meeeeeee.

I wouldn't think that ownership of one's own body would sound libertarian to an ultra-collectivist anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies