Belief in the Bible
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:48:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Belief in the Bible
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: Do you believe the Bible is literally true?
Yes-U.S. Resident

No-U.S. Resident

Yes-Non U.S. Resident

No-Non U.S. Resident

Not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Belief in the Bible  (Read 8598 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2005, 12:45:23 PM »

Good point.  But it was that kind of repeated misinterpretation, fueled by hegemony, that put so many myths and legends in the Bible in the first place.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2005, 04:14:16 PM »

Tempt didn't mean the same thing in those two passages.  In the first "tempt" meant God was testing him (to see if he was fully devoted to him)
The test, however, was carried out by tempting Abraham to do something he would not otherwise do.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2005, 12:44:54 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2005, 04:12:57 PM by jmfcst »

I'll pick out Quote Nos. 8, 17, 23, 25, 29, 37 ("glisters"?), 45, 49, 58, 60, 61, 79, 80 and 84 in particular for their nonsensical use of irrelevant words. 

These quotes are harder to understand than the language of the KJV.  But like I said, I forgot Old English is no longer required reading in high school.

---

Even if you gave me the context of each sentence, I still wouldn't know exactly what point is trying to be made, if any. 

Then you have larger issues - It is not as if you're being asked to assimilate Macbeth in real-time, rather all that is being asked of you is to be able to comprehend the written quotes of the play in a reasonable period of time.

Trust me…a person gets comfortable with Old English within a couple of hours.  In fact, it is much more concise than modern English.

But I am not advocating the KJV; it has errors of its own.  But I am simply pointing out it is more accurately translated than the NIV.

Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2005, 02:04:07 PM »

Oh dear...  If you can't understand what is written in the King James, you really need to get a refund on your education, because it is sadly lacking.  If an immigrant can understand it, so should those of you who speak English as a first language.
jacob_101

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2005, 02:04:32 PM »

Thanks all for your contributions as sidetracked as they may be.  I think it's clear now to say this forum is way more liberal than the rest of America, which was what I expected.

Not that that means anything, I was just curious.

I am confused how so many people, who don't believe in the Bible to be totally true, are using Bible verses to make their point.  I am especially confused by those who have an air of judgment about their posts.  

I believe in the Bible 100%.  Much of it I don't understand and much of it I wish I could change but I can't and I accept that.  I don't live in the Bible belt nor do many of Americas bible believers.  We are scattered throughout this great land.  Many of you will think I am ignorant for saying these things, but remember the meek shall inherit the earth.

Thanks again for all the posts!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2005, 04:29:18 PM »

Then you have larger issues - It is not as if you're being asked to assimilate Macbeth in real-time, rather all that is being asked of you is to be able to comprehend the written quotes of the play in a reasonable period of time.

Oh dear... If you can't understand what is written in the King James, you really need to get a refund on your education, because it is sadly lacking. If an immigrant can understand it, so should those of you who speak English as a first language.

I think it's clear now to say this forum is way more liberal than the rest of America, which was what I expected.

Three dumb posts all in a row!  I must remember that the God Squad don't like it when you start criticizing the Babble.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2005, 04:42:21 PM »

Three dumb posts all in a row!  I must remember that the God Squad don't like it when you start criticizing the Babble.

This "old English" discussion really has nothing to do with the bible.  We're simply shocked that you seem to have never passed a High School English Literature class.

Are you next going to claim that the Declaration of Independence, Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address, and JFK’s Inaugural are all too hard to comprehend?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2005, 04:45:18 PM »

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2005, 09:08:23 PM »

Looks like you don't care much...which probably explains why you don't know much.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies