The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:00:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 174047 times)
Jon Tester
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: November 21, 2018, 12:56:59 AM »

Deval Patrick would easily lose the general election.
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2018, 01:03:33 AM »

Go warren!!!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #327 on: November 21, 2018, 10:17:22 AM »

Two people who've floated the idea of running for president have new books out now, and are on book tours: Ben Sasse and John Kerry.  Sasse was on Colbert last night, w/ video in two parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKKJUHd_XlM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1zGtGUtC38

And Kerry was on Seth Meyers last night, with video also in two parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbNBpulK0t4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VelTWqXiR6I

At the end of the interview, Kerry is asked if he's going to run for president again, and he says "No matter how you ask this question, I’m going to find a way to duck it."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #328 on: November 21, 2018, 11:11:02 AM »

New PAC supporting Buttigieg for president:

https://www.indianapolismonthly.com/news-opinion/importantville-buttigieg-pac-youngs-2020-map-and-pence-in-asia/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Buttigieg is expected to announce whether he's running for reelection as mayor some time after Thanksgiving.  If he's not, then that means he's likely going to run for president:

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #329 on: November 21, 2018, 12:56:31 PM »

If it shows how unpopular she is, Gillibrand was on the Daily Show with Trevor Noah, and nobody posted about it, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuOQ_8D928Q
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #330 on: November 21, 2018, 01:15:32 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/21/cory-booker-talks-with-obama-clinton-strategists-in-iowa-as-he-mulls-2020-run.html

More Cory Booker news regarding the hunt for strategists in Iowa.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #331 on: November 21, 2018, 08:15:44 PM »

Michael Avenatti will not be charged with a felony in his domestic abuse case.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/21/michael-avenatti-wont-charged-felony-domestic-abuse-case/2082328002/

THE FIGHT PAC LIVES ON!

BASTA!
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #332 on: November 21, 2018, 08:36:41 PM »

Sherrod has put a 2020 thoughts site up on his landing page:
https://www.sherrodbrown.com/landing/w181121/

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #333 on: November 22, 2018, 12:23:49 AM »

If it shows how unpopular she is, Gillibrand was on the Daily Show with Trevor Noah, and nobody posted about it, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuOQ_8D928Q

I feel like that's more of a comment about the popularity of The Daily Show.  Tongue

In other news....

The latest on O’Rourke 2020:

http://www.texasstandard.org/stories/how-likely-is-a-beto-orourke-2020-presidential-bid/

A Garcetti ally tries to lay the groundwork for a presidential run, though notionally with no input from Garcetti himself:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/eric-garcetti-2020-presidential-run-759297/

The best part though is this accompanying song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ljGRSKda8k

More trial balloon floating from Casey:

https://www.dailyitem.com/news/casey-considering-possible-presidential-bid/article_fba0bde6-edc8-11e8-aeeb-a3c3d87e60c3.html

Bennet:

https://coloradosun.com/2018/11/20/michael-bennet-2020-iowa-rumors/

NBC News apparently has a new installment called “Off Script”, and this edition looks like a pretty scripted campaign commercial for Castro 2020:

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/julian-castro-dems-looking-toward-a-new-generation-of-leadership-1376236099777?v=railb&
Would-be-Rep.
« Reply #334 on: November 22, 2018, 01:09:51 AM »

I am wondering why there’s any speculation about male candidates; of course the 2020 D candidate has to be a woman. Period.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #335 on: November 22, 2018, 01:29:35 AM »

More trial balloon floating from Casey:

Bennet:

I love how crazy this is getting
Askew
Rookie

« Reply #336 on: November 22, 2018, 01:33:14 AM »

These boring white male Senators have zero chance. They will lose as badly as Dodd did in 2008.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #337 on: November 22, 2018, 02:00:25 AM »

These boring white male Senators have zero chance. They will lose as badly as Dodd did in 2008.

I really wonder what's going through their head to make them think they'd have any shot. Honestly it's not hard to read the trends of what base of the Dem party wants. It's female and non-white, its pretty obvious too but so many are intent on wasting their time and money.
Askew
Rookie

« Reply #338 on: November 22, 2018, 02:04:35 AM »

I think a lot of the media and Dem politicians learned the wrong lesson from 2016 and think that a white man will have it easier than another woman. Hillary didn't lose because she is a woman but because she generated little excitement in the base, was toxic to independents and ran one of the most arrogant and lazy campaigns I've ever seen from a Dem presidential candidate. Another woman won't have those issues.
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #339 on: November 22, 2018, 08:53:25 AM »

I really wonder what's going through their head to make them think they'd have any shot. Honestly it's not hard to read the trends of what base of the Dem party wants. It's female and non-white, its pretty obvious too but so many are intent on wasting their time and money.

They probably think they a chance because the media is putting out stories that the Democrats cannot win an election if they nominate another woman or even minority in some stories. Also, the media will send somebody to cover them, look at Ojeda. Ojeda entered straight after the midterms and has gotten media attention for almost 2 weeks. The media will cover them, like how at some point they will start covering Delaney, Yang, and if she runs Williamson.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #340 on: November 22, 2018, 11:06:30 AM »

If anybody needed anymore confirmation that Sherrod Brown really is a straight forward and honest guy, here ya go.

In the end I figure he won't go for it, but he's not gonna play the stereotypical politician and deny he's thinking about it.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #341 on: November 22, 2018, 11:41:00 AM »

I think a lot of the media and Dem politicians learned the wrong lesson from 2016 and think that a white man will have it easier than another woman. Hillary didn't lose because she is a woman but because she generated little excitement in the base, was toxic to independents and ran one of the most arrogant and lazy campaigns I've ever seen from a Dem presidential candidate. Another woman won't have those issues.

This is so true.

That’s not to say a white man couldn’t be the nominee though. It just seems that a lot of the talk that Democrats HAVE to nominate a white man is BS. You really only have to look at 2018 to see that women can easily win in these Midwest swing states.
JG

« Reply #342 on: November 22, 2018, 01:17:12 PM »

If anybody needed anymore confirmation that Sherrod Brown really is a straight forward and honest guy, here ya go.

In the end I figure he won't go for it, but he's not gonna play the stereotypical politician and deny he's thinking about it.

I mean, now that the midterms are behind us, aren't they all pretty honest about how they are thinking about it? Harris, Gillibrand, Booker, Warren and co all admitted that they are thinking about a presidential run.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #343 on: November 22, 2018, 02:44:55 PM »

I mean, now that the midterms are behind us, aren't they all pretty honest about how they are thinking about it? Harris, Gillibrand, Booker, Warren and co all admitted that they are thinking about a presidential run.

But Sherrod Brown is Populist Purple heart, which means he is inherently more honest.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #344 on: November 22, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »

But Sherrod Brown is Populist Purple heart, which means he is inherently more honest.

This but un-unironically.

I don't think Warren/Gillibrand/Booker have been as open as Brown has though, despite him clearly having less of an interest. Last I checked wasn't Warren was a "it's too early to talk about it!"?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #345 on: November 22, 2018, 06:11:18 PM »

The Haley Barbour of 2020.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #346 on: November 22, 2018, 07:50:43 PM »

Beto wouldn’t have that problem.

But yes, some of these old, boring, centrist white men need to sit down. Even if they tow the line on the mainstream issues they are extremely out of touch with the issues that excite and drive people to the polls.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #347 on: November 23, 2018, 01:52:52 AM »

I'm not convinced they're telling the truth now either.  Yes, they say they're "thinking about it", but are all of them really still thinking about it?  Or have some of them already decided to run, but just not announcing it yet, because they figure an announcement in March or April would make more sense?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #348 on: November 23, 2018, 02:14:41 AM »

I'm not convinced they're telling the truth now either.  Yes, they say they're "thinking about it", but are all of them really still thinking about it?  Or have some of them already decided to run, but just not announcing it yet, because they figure an announcement in March or April would make more sense?

Elizabeth Warren has known since she decided not to run in 2016. Her decision was to run now or later. She chose later and it's now later. I don't think she'll do all that well beyond New England and maybe the Pacific Northwest, honestly. She didn't run when she was a newish face and enthusiasm for her was strong. Her star seems to have faded in the past several years. She hasn't done much to make herself stand out in the Senate either.
Would-be-Rep.
« Reply #349 on: November 23, 2018, 02:38:52 AM »

Let me make it clear, Trump’s 2020 opponent will win if she can fit in a clear contrast with him, esp. visually, that is a female, young, policy-oriented, with government/service experience, eloquent, with a low pitch voice.

Find someone with these features, and stop enlisting dumb old white males.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies