The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:49:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 174118 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: January 28, 2019, 01:15:07 PM »

I got information from someone (claims to be close to Ohio Democratic Party and DNC) that Sherrod Brown would have guaranteed VP slot to somebody who will win D's primary.

Further informations on that are as follows:

- Brown would be also having a blank cheque whether to run or not in Democratic primaries, it has to be up to him only

- He was offered to be a horse of "Rust Belt Act" (whatever that name means) which is being reportedly in the works

- That guaranteed Brown's VP slot would not only limit to the winner of Dem primaries, but to any other Democratic contender, I was told that he would get also guaranteed VP offers from "everyone" contending Democratic primaries

- That case about losing a Senate seat when choosing Sherrod for VP in 2020 (because Ohio governor is a Republican) was of course being considered, but according to the informations I got the stakes in 2020 are higher than losing a Senate seat, because it goes about presidency, and such decision was taken concerning that problem

Have you ever heard of "Rust Belt Act"?

Here are the latest updates:

- Harris (her person, candidacy and campaign) have been well accepted in the circles close to DNC;

- She's ready to kinda cooperate with DNC along DNC's legislative agenda (if such thing will be suiting her needs and views). This is important, because DNC wants to and plan to coordinate the outlook of the Party with the primary candidates, and wants it all to be made run smoothly (so Bernie Bros wouldn't get DNC support);

- Staffs of Harris and Brown are have to be coordinating calendars of each own to talk around questions of "Rust Belt Act" (of which I mentioned above in the quotation);

- Brown would decide whether to start or not within two months, if he'll decide to run, he'll officially launch (like KH did last day in Oakland) his campaign on May 1st (the Labor Day) in Chicago;

- But if Brown decide not to run, he'll be in Windy City anyway and along with KH would presumably officially unveil "Rust Belt Act" in the name of the rest of Democrats and DNC;

- That thing of course, would be meaning that Brown joins Harris on her ticket.

Wow. So Harris and Brown could form a ticket for the primary.

#FakeNews
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1276 on: January 28, 2019, 01:17:18 PM »

I'm an enthusiastic Harris backer, but she would instantly lose my support if she actually went with this.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1277 on: January 28, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »

I'm an enthusiastic Harris backer, but she would instantly lose my support if she actually went with this.

Literally why?
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1278 on: January 28, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »

To throw away his Senate seat unnecessarily would reveal a staggering lack good judgment.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1279 on: January 28, 2019, 02:10:38 PM »

To throw away his Senate seat unnecessarily would reveal a staggering lack good judgment.

The White House is more important than the Senate.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1280 on: January 28, 2019, 02:17:23 PM »

The White House is more important than the Senate.

First of all, I don't entirely agree with that.  Second, it's irrelevant.  Being generous, Brown's name on the ticket might make victory, what, 0.001% more likely?  There are a dozen other people Harris could pick who would have equal if not greater impact who wouldn't also cost Democrats a vital Senate seat.  Brown just isn't that special.  Not worth the trade-off.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #1281 on: January 28, 2019, 02:44:40 PM »

Literally why?
Brown is boring and why lose a Senate seat for no reason??
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1282 on: January 28, 2019, 03:19:39 PM »

I got information from someone (claims to be close to Ohio Democratic Party and DNC) that Sherrod Brown would have guaranteed VP slot to somebody who will win D's primary.

- Brown would be also having a blank cheque whether to run or not in Democratic primaries, it has to be up to him only

- He was offered to be a horse of "Rust Belt Act" (whatever that name means) which is being reportedly in the works

- That guaranteed Brown's VP slot would not only limit to the winner of Dem primaries, but to any other Democratic contender, I was told that he would get also guaranteed VP offers from "everyone" contending Democratic primaries

- That case about losing a Senate seat when choosing Sherrod for VP in 2020 (because Ohio governor is a Republican) was of course being considered, but according to the informations I got the stakes in 2020 are higher than losing a Senate seat, because it goes about presidency, and such decision was taken concerning that problem

- Harris (her person, candidacy and campaign) have been well accepted in the circles close to DNC;

- She's ready to kinda cooperate with DNC along DNC's legislative agenda (if such thing will be suiting her needs and views). This is important, because DNC wants to and plan to coordinate the outlook of the Party with the primary candidates, and wants it all to be made run smoothly (so Bernie Bros wouldn't get DNC support);

- Staffs of Harris and Brown are have to be coordinating calendars of each own to talk around questions of "Rust Belt Act" (of which I mentioned above in the quotation);

- Brown would decide whether to start or not within two months, if he'll decide to run, he'll officially launch (like KH did last day in Oakland) his campaign on May 1st (the Labor Day) in Chicago;

- But if Brown decide not to run, he'll be in Windy City anyway and along with KH would presumably officially unveil "Rust Belt Act" in the name of the rest of Democrats and DNC;

Addressing this with a grain of salt, but I do see a line of logic here - if Brown teams up with Kamala early on, he can resign his Senate seat and trigger a special election to replace him, in which someone like Tim Ryan could run and hold the seat.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #1283 on: January 28, 2019, 05:52:03 PM »

May 1 is way too late for someone polling as low as Brown is to announce, and I find it hard to believe Harris would announce a running mate that early - it would come across as desperate, besides the concerns about the Senate others have noted. How sure are you this source is credible?
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #1284 on: January 28, 2019, 06:04:49 PM »

May 1 is way too late for someone polling as low as Brown is to announce, and I find it hard to believe Harris would announce a running mate that early - it would come across as desperate, besides the concerns about the Senate others have noted. How sure are you this source is credible?

Because DNC doesn't want a long or bruising primary - the candidate must be chosen as fast as possible. I said last time that Brown staff is fully aware that Dems could lose a Senate seat, but they  had discussed that and jointly reached a conclusion that WH stakes are higher than a Senate seat. That's the explanation that was given to me. Maybe that situation with Dems is just as 2000 GOP primary, when Bush 43 was chosen after Super Tuesday in March, I don't know.

Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1285 on: January 28, 2019, 06:13:59 PM »

Addressing this with a grain of salt, but I do see a line of logic here - if Brown teams up with Kamala early on, he can resign his Senate seat and trigger a special election to replace him, in which someone like Tim Ryan could run and hold the seat.

This is insanity.  Why would Democrats ever risk a hard-to-hold Senate seat, maybe a Senate majority, for a veep nominee who doesn't add anything to the ticket another dozen possible choices couldn't also add.  Madness!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1286 on: January 28, 2019, 06:29:50 PM »

Hogan says "never say never" on 2020:

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/01/28/hogan-says-hes-focused-on-maryland-but-to-never-say-never-to-2020-presidential-run/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In other news, Schultz makes a new hire:

Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #1287 on: January 28, 2019, 06:54:23 PM »

Independents and Republican challengers have some time left in the tank before they decide/ announce. Democrats though? Best hurry up. Horses are in and the paddock doors are closing.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #1288 on: January 28, 2019, 08:02:27 PM »

Because DNC doesn't want a long or bruising primary - the candidate must be chosen as fast as possible. I said last time that Brown staff is fully aware that Dems could lose a Senate seat, but they  had discussed that and jointly reached a conclusion that WH stakes are higher than a Senate seat. That's the explanation that was given to me. Maybe that situation with Dems is just as 2000 GOP primary, when Bush 43 was chosen after Super Tuesday in March, I don't know.

Yeah Brown's tour seems to completely disprove this. Plus I believe some sources (and even Brown iirc?) have said he'll decide in March. I highly doubt he's going to decide in March and wait until May.

Speaking of him, Brown will be kicking off his Dignity of Work tour at a wholesaler in Brunswick (my suburb) on Wednesday afternoon.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1289 on: January 28, 2019, 08:20:56 PM »

This is insanity.  Why would Democrats ever risk a hard-to-hold Senate seat, maybe a Senate majority, for a veep nominee who doesn't add anything to the ticket another dozen possible choices couldn't also add.  Madness!

I agree. Ohio is slipping away and that makes Brown's seat among the most valuable. It won't diminish my support for Harris if she chooses him though. He's a sought after running mate pick for a reason. But, yes, him staying in the Senate should be a priority. Hell, that's why Clinton didn't pick him. She saw the writing on the wall when it came to the Senate.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #1290 on: January 28, 2019, 08:55:00 PM »

Holder to decide within 2-3 weeks

actually almost forgot about this. is this the first noise from him we've had in a while?
History505
« Reply #1291 on: January 28, 2019, 09:02:56 PM »

actually almost forgot about this. is this the first noise from him we've had in a while?
Yep, I was wondering about him a few weeks ago.
Joey1996

« Reply #1292 on: January 28, 2019, 09:04:16 PM »

Lol
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1293 on: January 28, 2019, 09:06:46 PM »

Lol
2-3 is also prob how many votes he'll get
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1294 on: January 28, 2019, 09:17:51 PM »

Lol
2-3 is also prob how many votes he'll get

Let's not be too generous
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1295 on: January 28, 2019, 10:17:34 PM »

Joe Biden closer to decision on 2020

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/28/politics/joe-biden-close-to-2020-decision/index.html
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #1296 on: January 29, 2019, 09:40:22 AM »

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but this all but confirms that Larry Hogan is considering a 2020 presidential bid. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/as-he-weighs-a-challenge-to-trump-larry-hogan-says-he-offers-a-model-of-bipartisanship-thats-only-partly-true/2019/01/27/bf8d43ba-1a69-11e9-88fe-f9f77a3bcb6c_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d6928b8b1fd4

The biggest vulnerability I see for him is that he could be attacked as being unprincipled. He's flip-flopped countless times when it was politically convenient.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1297 on: January 29, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »

Flake: "I will not be a candidate":

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeff-flake-former-gop-arizona-senator-will-not-be-a-candidate-in-2020/

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1298 on: January 29, 2019, 10:27:33 AM »

Booker:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2019/01/28/cory-booker-iowa-staff-hires-2020-run-campaign-election-bid-frosolone-ohern-seger-hager-president/2688277002/

Biden:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/01/democratic-ex-presidents-expected-to-sit-out-2020-primaries.html

Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1299 on: January 29, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »

Lol not elitist enough?
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies