Old, Dead, Irrelevant ITL (Do not use) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:22:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Old, Dead, Irrelevant ITL (Do not use) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Old, Dead, Irrelevant ITL (Do not use)  (Read 15157 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 17, 2015, 08:08:30 PM »
« edited: June 21, 2015, 11:03:01 PM by NeverAgain »

Just in from Burlington, Vermont . . .
Bernie Sanders Officially Announces Presidential Campaign

Standing among his many supporters congregated on the Burlington Bay, Bernie Sanders officially announced his Presidential campaign earlier today. 

We now go to Burlington for Senator Sanders' anouncement:

"I would like to start by first thanking you for coming out today;  it's great to see so many familiar faces and so many new faces as we embark on a new path in politics today.  We stand at an important moment in our Nation's history;  what we will do with the opportunities and challenges that face us will set the direction not just for our lives, but for the lives of our children and our children's children. 

Now is a time for change - we've had enough of my colleagues in the Senate throwing snowballs in an effort to distract us from the pressing issue of climate change and enough of the media consistent coverage of politics as an ongoing soap opera rather than a process for addressing the important issues of our day.  We've had enough!  The America that I know has always confronted the difficult issues that arise and provided a forum for meaningful discourse among those with diverse opinions.  It's time we return to these crucial values.

We have to begin talking about - and addressing - the pressing issues facing working families, such as eliminating the starvation minimum wage of $7.25 per hour in favor of a living minimum wage of $15.00 per hour.  This is not only an important step for working families, but is also one step toward promoting wage equality for women workers.  It is an atrocity that female workers - who work just as hard and long as their male counterparts - are paid only 73% of what male workers are paid.  This is a tragedy that must be addressed!

We must level the playing field of political speech and participation in the political process by getting money out of politics!  We must overturn the disastrous Supreme Court decision in "Citizens United" and return to a system of citizens united for effective and representative politics.

And let's move beyond a discussion of privatizing Social Security to a discussion of keeping the "security" in our system and improving the lives of all of our Seniors.

And it's time that we protect our Nation, our Globe, and our Future by passing meaningful climate change legislation - we must reduce CO2 emissions and limit our carbon footprint!

We must also protect the needs and rights of all groups, particularly those groups that are vulnerable, marginalized, or disenfranchised such as the LGBT community, immigrants, children, and women.

I'm not going to make the same mistake that many politicians make - I'm going to tell the truth.  The truth isn't always easy or convenient, but it's essential for us to succeed.  And the truth is that this is going to be a lot of work - a LOT of work;  but what I know of America is that not only can we all work together, and we can succeed together!  No, we WILL succeed together.

For all these reasons, and for the commitment that I have to this great Nation of ours and ALL of the people that call this Nation home, I announce my candidacy for President of the United States.  I ask for your support, your hard work, and your vote - we can succeed together!"

His speech was met with great enthusiasm and rounds of applause by his audience, and was followed by free Ben & Jerry's ice cream for all.

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:58:17 AM »

Statement from the Sanders Campaign

We extend our deepest condolences to the Pataki family, friends, and supporters over the tragic loss of Governor Pataki, a public servant who was committed to serving our Nation and who brought New York through 12 years of challenging times.  No matter our ideological differences, I have always admired Governor Pataki's commitment to service to others, and hope that this legacy will be remembered.  The fact that the loss occurred in my home state of Vermont saddens me even further.  Let us all go forward with a remembrance of Governor Pataki and re-double our commitment to service in this great Nation of ours.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »

His Internet access died, hopefully it comes back soon.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:52:19 AM »

As I expect to regain computer access tonight ( Cheesy ) and will begin grading when I do, sign ups will officially be closed at 8:00 EST. You must notify me of extra credit if you have done it but have not told me already by the same time. Thanks!
Splended News! Excited to see the grade returns!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 01:45:49 AM »

I am in complete support of it. I am sorry for not getting my post/s out sooner, between school and work I haven't had any time to be on Atlas. I will post later tomorrow/today
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies