Ohio redistricting thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 12:53:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 91938 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: July 12, 2020, 12:45:48 PM »

How is this legal given the state's guidelines about not cutting counties?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 09:11:23 PM »

16 counties may be cut and 2 may be double cut. Pretty sure its legal. You have to split some counties no matter what.

Even if it is, the legal arguments in this map are next to nothing regarding not favoring a political party and not splitting up communities of interests etc.   If the court is anything but a hyper partisan Republican hack job it would get struck down.

Oh, I just noticed that *SIX* of the Republican districts are R+5 or less. This is a dummymander that would collapse in a 2020-like environment. It’s beyond hubris to think you can drown Akron, Youngstown, and Toledo in Republican districts based on the 2016 results.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 09:18:45 PM »

16 counties may be cut and 2 may be double cut. Pretty sure its legal. You have to split some counties no matter what.

Even if it is, the legal arguments in this map are next to nothing regarding not favoring a political party and not splitting up communities of interests etc.   If the court is anything but a hyper partisan Republican hack job it would get struck down.

Oh, I just noticed that *SIX* of the Republican districts are R+5 or less. This is a dummymander that would collapse in a 2020-like environment.

lol, R+5 in Ohio outside of Columbus or Cleveland is double digit Trump like Ohio 14th. This might backfire with the suburban Cleveland district a bit but everything else is Safe R.

You can’t anchor a district in Toledo or Akron and make it safe R. Besides, isn’t PVI based on the national results, not state results? R+4 on national results is a seat Biden’s probably going to win this year.

(EDIT) I checked the DRA link. That Toledo district is R+4 which means it just barely went to Trump. This is a dummymander, end of story.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 05:58:33 AM »

Oh, I just noticed that *SIX* of the Republican districts are R+5 or less. This is a dummymander that would collapse in a 2020-like environment.

lol, R+5 in Ohio outside of Columbus or Cleveland is double digit Trump like Ohio 14th. This might backfire with the suburban Cleveland district a bit but everything else is Safe R.

You can’t anchor a district in Toledo or Akron and make it safe R. Besides, isn’t PVI based on the national results, not state results? R+4 on national results is a seat Biden’s probably going to win this year.

(EDIT) I checked the DRA link. That Toledo district is R+4 which means it just barely went to Trump. This is a dummymander, end of story.

R+4 literally means combined PVI of 2016 and 2012. Which means 2012 numbers are still included lol. The Toledo district is literally trump +11 if you trace it on districtr

And the Cincinatti seat isn't even a dummymander even if it flips because that seat that doesn't affect any other seats besides Ohio 1st.

Ok, I’m corrected about Trump’s results in 2016, but what that means it went Democratic by a decent margin in 2012, and I know that part of Ohio went big for Obama in 2008. If Ohio swings back to parity as polls show districts like that are going to swing more than average for the state. I’d love to see the Sherrod Brown numbers for these districts.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 02:56:17 PM »

I guess we’ll see this fall. If Trump wins Ohio by 2 or more points I’ll accept the shift is long term.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 09:33:14 PM »

What was the last court appearance for, then, if not arguments?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies