Protests in China over Covid-19 restrictions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:03:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Protests in China over Covid-19 restrictions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Protests in China over Covid-19 restrictions  (Read 2442 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« on: November 26, 2022, 09:38:12 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/taiwan-health-china-fires-covid-4ffc00e5f6761be48f5887d57d66c708

Someone has to back down eventually…
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 03:54:27 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm generally in favor of more COVID precautions as opposed to fewer, but this is overkill. There's no need to barricade people inside a burning building.

Thank you for that groundbreaking observation.

I feel like a lot of people on this forum claim that COVID was never a big deal, when in reality it brought health systems in many countries to their breaking points for well over a year. We can acknowledge that, while also acknowledging that we don't need to do strict lockdowns now that most people have been vaccinated. That doesn't mean we shouldn't still be wearing masks in public indoor spaces - which I still do, especially with flu season here.

So yes. Just because the danger is no longer as acute doesn't mean it never existed. And for the record, I no longer want to move to China.

You are asking for a cultural change more than something that can be effectively enforced though. Not sure how to go about that btw, it’s a lot more difficult to get a society level mindset to shift.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 12:24:29 PM »

If the protests mount, the U.S should take advantage by landing troops in Hong Kong and Macau.

if you simulate this as GM in atlasia, i hope you'll simulate atlasia getting nuked and the game ending as well or legislators dealing with nuclear fallout.
I assure you that NYE is a responsible hardworking member of the team and would not simulate such a thing without consulting with both us and likely other Atlasian politicians.

Please keep his personal politics separate from the game.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 11:20:37 PM »

Interestingly, Apple shut off AirDrop in China…this is important because protestors were using airdrop to share photos and messages with everybody and avoiding censors. With Airdrop, they can bypass the censors since it doesn’t require Wifi.

Shame on Apple.
They need their cheap source of labor.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 12:27:31 AM »

A lot of optimism on this thread, I see Smiley

Of course you are all very likely correct, but let's just appreciate how absolutely nobody saw what has happened coming* - the conventional wisdom that the large majority of Chinese people would just go along with whatever the regime did was very well established.

(*and that actually does include the CPC, or else they would have tried to head this unrest off)
Funny enough I am on the more optimistic side of things here…I think there still exists a chance of this definitely working some reform at the very least (but the fact I say that probably means the protests aren’t going to do anything)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies