Protests in China over Covid-19 restrictions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:33:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Protests in China over Covid-19 restrictions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Protests in China over Covid-19 restrictions  (Read 2397 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2022, 09:38:12 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/taiwan-health-china-fires-covid-4ffc00e5f6761be48f5887d57d66c708

Someone has to back down eventually…
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 09:39:26 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm generally in favor of more COVID precautions as opposed to fewer, but this is overkill. There's no need to barricade people inside a burning building.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 09:45:32 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm generally in favor of more COVID precautions as opposed to fewer, but this is overkill. There's no need to barricade people inside a burning building.

Thank you for that groundbreaking observation.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 10:12:52 PM »

I feel like a lot of people on this forum claim that COVID was never a big deal, when in reality it brought health systems in many countries to their breaking points for well over a year. We can acknowledge that, while also acknowledging that we don't need to do strict lockdowns now that most people have been vaccinated. That doesn't mean we shouldn't still be wearing masks in public indoor spaces - which I still do, especially with flu season here.

So yes. Just because the danger is no longer as acute doesn't mean it never existed. And for the record, I no longer want to move to China.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 07:38:08 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2022, 02:07:24 PM by CumbrianLefty »

Chants heard in these latest protests against both Xi and the Communist Party.

(the latter has been pretty much taboo since 1989)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 02:07:36 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2022, 02:38:01 PM by Torrain »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 03:54:27 PM »

I feel like a lot of people on this forum claim that COVID was never a big deal, when in reality it brought health systems in many countries to their breaking points for well over a year. We can acknowledge that, while also acknowledging that we don't need to do strict lockdowns now that most people have been vaccinated. That doesn't mean we shouldn't still be wearing masks in public indoor spaces - which I still do, especially with flu season here.

So yes. Just because the danger is no longer as acute doesn't mean it never existed. And for the record, I no longer want to move to China.

You are asking for a cultural change more than something that can be effectively enforced though. Not sure how to go about that btw, it’s a lot more difficult to get a society level mindset to shift.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 03:55:48 PM »

riot police in all white Hazmat suits looks weird
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 04:43:10 PM »

God, I love the Chinese. They have the strongest revolutionary spirit of arguably any people. Winnie the Pooh for the meathooks 2022!!!
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 04:49:11 PM »

This shows the limits without solving the root of the problem in enforcing mandatory vaccination and getting everyone their shot. Now the CCP won’t do that because they’re scaredy cats, but it should have been in order to get that through instead of keeping their valiant zero covid efforts. Till then, zero Covid is still the right course of action and that should be communicated to the public with vital wage increases and price controls.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 04:49:15 PM »

yay!!! BURN IT DOWN!!

Covid restrictions are worst thing to happen in our modern world! Glad to see the Chinese finally standing up for their rights
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 05:57:34 PM »

I've seen this movie before.

It doesn't end well.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 06:12:09 PM »

This shows the limits without solving the root of the problem in enforcing mandatory vaccination and getting everyone their shot. Now the CCP won’t do that because they’re scaredy cats, but it should have been in order to get that through instead of keeping their valiant zero covid efforts. Till then, zero Covid is still the right course of action and that should be communicated to the public with vital wage increases and price controls.

walleye26

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2022, 09:08:30 PM »

The BBC is reporting that one of its journalists covering the protests was taken by Chinese police and beaten. The Chinese police are saying it was “done for his protection so he wouldn’t get Covid.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/28/bbc-says-chinese-police-assaulted-and-detained-its-reporter-at-shanghai-protest
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 09:14:48 PM »

The BBC is reporting that one of its journalists covering the protests was taken by Chinese police and beaten. The Chinese police are saying it was “done for his protection so he wouldn’t get Covid.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/28/bbc-says-chinese-police-assaulted-and-detained-its-reporter-at-shanghai-protest

It's too bad the Chinese don't have the right to bear arms so they could do something about these thugs.
walleye26

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2022, 09:18:13 PM »

It's too bad the Chinese don't have the right to bear arms so they could do something about these thugs.
Yeah, I’m trying to figure out what the Chinese do next? Do they stop with the zero Covid? Double down? Do another Tiananmen Square? (Although doing a Tiananmen Square 2.0 I feel would really be a mistake). Also, do these protests spread?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2022, 09:20:50 PM »

Yeah, I’m trying to figure out what the Chinese do next? Do they stop with the zero Covid? Double down? Do another Tiananmen Square? (Although doing a Tiananmen Square 2.0 I feel would really be a mistake). Also, do these protests spread?

If there is a Tiananmen Square 2.0, I feel this would be the result:

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2022, 09:33:09 PM »

If the protests mount, the U.S should take advantage by landing troops in Hong Kong and Macau.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2022, 11:21:15 PM »

If the protests mount, the U.S should take advantage by landing troops in Hong Kong and Macau.

Ideally those places would be returned to the rightful Chinese government.  But American boots on the ground is a horrible idea.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2022, 10:59:30 AM »

Great stuff, can't see how that could possibly go wrong Tongue
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2022, 11:20:54 AM »

Who would've thought that the one thing Atlas agrees on with China will eventually be the thing the country collapses over.

Also proof that Xi is dumb. Zero covid 19 is the most stupid policy ever, even for a dictatorship. Even KJU has an easier time controlling his country than Xi does.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2022, 11:23:44 AM »

if you simulate this as GM in atlasia, i hope you'll simulate atlasia getting nuked and the game ending as well or legislators dealing with nuclear fallout.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2022, 12:24:29 PM »

if you simulate this as GM in atlasia, i hope you'll simulate atlasia getting nuked and the game ending as well or legislators dealing with nuclear fallout.
I assure you that NYE is a responsible hardworking member of the team and would not simulate such a thing without consulting with both us and likely other Atlasian politicians.

Please keep his personal politics separate from the game.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2022, 12:35:14 PM »

Technically the protests revolve around a strike and how that the private employers are keeping employees locked in the factory under the guise of a “lockdown”. The blame should be put mostly on Foxconn.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2022, 01:33:30 PM »

Technically the protests revolve around a strike and how that the private employers are keeping employees locked in the factory under the guise of a “lockdown”. The blame should be put mostly on Foxconn.

I think these protests are about a lot more than Foxconn.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies