Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 10:17:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 28139 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« on: November 16, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »

Yeah, he should resign.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 11:48:23 AM »

Every male politician accused of sexual harassment should be replaced by a woman.
For what reason exactly? To make a point? I’d rather have the best possible politician, regardless of gender.

Implying that the best possible politician can’t be a woman.

That is not what he is saying at all.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:55:54 AM »

His actions today seem pretty good already. No resignation is necessary.
Sorry. No. Not with Roy Moore lurking around.

He needs to resign, but lets make a false equivalence here.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:57:09 AM »

Yet says nothing about Donald Trump.

The GOP is a cesspool for people who argue in bad faith.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 12:01:40 PM »

What false equivalence?

I am saying Roy Moore and Franken aren't comparable.

Franken should resign, but I don't want anyone to unintentionally conflate pedophilia with sexually harassment.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 12:09:43 PM »

What false equivalence?

I am saying Roy Moore and Franken aren't comparable.

Franken should resign, but I don't want anyone to unintentionally conflate pedophilia with sexually harassment.
I worded that wrong. I meant Moore lurking around, as in him potentially getting into the Senate. Franken hanging around in the Senate presents bad optics if we truly want to get Doug Jones this seat.

Gotcha ya.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »

Sarah Palin was on Capitol hill today. When asked about Franken she (unsurprisingly) thinks he should step down. Silent on Moore... the one she literally campaigned with, in person.

https://twitter.com/eschor/status/931207077682442240

lol, conservatives don't really care about sexual harassment.

No one should take their phony outrage seriously.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »

One thing is for sure .... I'm glad to see so many blue avatars posting and having "genuine" concern for sexual harassment/predatory issues.
Seemed so many were previously missing in "other" threads.
Strange how that happens.

Not surprise.

These people argue in bad faith all the time. They truly don't give a **** about all of this stuff. Democrats and liberals continue to play themselves by thinking these people are on the level.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 01:11:43 PM »

.@SenWhitehouse tells reporters: “You guys need to find something more interesting” when asked about Franken allegations.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

DC reporters are so bad at their jobs.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »

I still think Franken should resign, but her statement gives me pause.

It is an unpopular thing to say, but a lot of men make poor mistakes in terms of treatment of women (especially men in their 20s and early 30's). Some grow out of it, and some unfortunately don't.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 02:18:25 PM »

I still think Franken should resign, but her statement gives me pause.

It is an unpopular thing to say, but a lot of men make poor mistakes in terms of treatment of women (especially men in their 20s and early 30's). Some grow out of it, and some unfortunately don't.

Yes, this is what I have been saying. Even women do things like kissing men who are not remotely interested in kissing them, or grabbing ass, especially when they are drunk. Of course, it is far more common behavior among men, and it is not right, but most people who have made these kinds of mistakes are not bad people.

It is different from the kind of predatory behavior exhibited by people like Roy Moore throughout his life and career.

Yeah, I am not trying to make this into a "boys will be boys" sort of thing. But my fear is we will start to group guys who made one poor decision concerning sexual harassment with guys like Weinsten, Cosby, Moore etc. who seem to have a history and pattern of really terrible behavior concerning women.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 04:42:54 PM »

Yeah, it is disingenuous to get up and arms about Franken, when Donald Trump is president and Bill Clinton is arguably the most popular ex-president.

The uncomfortable truth is that most Americans really don't care about this sort thing. This sexual harassment thing reminds me of the fallout from the Ray Rice domestic abuse stuff. The country was upset for a little bit and then moved on to be outraged about something else.

We are a country that likes to get mad, but never channel that anger into making changes.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 05:06:59 PM »

Yeah, it is disingenuous to get up and arms about Franken, when Donald Trump is president and Bill Clinton is arguably the most popular ex-president.

The uncomfortable truth is that most Americans really don't care about this sort thing. This sexual harassment thing reminds me of the fallout from the Ray Rice domestic abuse stuff. The country was upset for a little bit and then moved on to be outraged about something else.

We are a country that likes to get mad, but never channel that anger into making changes.

I think Megan McArdle was on the right track in this column:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-10-18/scandals-like-weinstein-s-won-t-end-sexual-harassment

There's a general consensus about sexual harassment being bad, but way too many people think it's only slightly bad, and not worth raising a big fuss over:

Yeah, this is a good article.

I would even say the only reason the Moore stuff is having an impact is because the victims were under 18. If Moore's victims were in their 20s and 30s, the only people who would care is women and liberals on twitter.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 08:48:23 PM »

This article by Erin Gloria Ryan pretty much sums up my biggest fears with this movement.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/after-al-franken-and-roy-moore-we-are-dangerously-close-to-botching-the-metoo-moment
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 09:14:28 PM »

This article by Erin Gloria Ryan pretty much sums up my biggest fears with this movement.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/after-al-franken-and-roy-moore-we-are-dangerously-close-to-botching-the-metoo-moment

Is it really irrational to think that a needed cause for a genuine movement could get contaminated by attention-seekers and golddiggers?

No.

But I think it is something people are ignoring at the moment since it is an unpopular thing to say out loud.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies