Forum Members' Locations - Regions Poll (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:21:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Forum Members' Locations - Regions Poll (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following regions are you currently living in (see region breakdown below)?
Northeast - New England

Northeast - Mid-Atlantic

South - Deep South

South - Border South

Midwest - Big Ten Country

Midwest - Plains/Border Midwest

West - Mountain West

West - West Coast

West - Non-Lower 48

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 100

Author Topic: Forum Members' Locations - Regions Poll  (Read 2826 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: May 10, 2017, 12:39:39 PM »

For the purposes of this poll, here are the regions, as I chose to define them:

NORTHEAST
New England

CT - MA - ME - NH - RI - VT

Mid-Atlantic
DE - DC - MD - NJ - NY - PA

SOUTH
Deep South

AL - AR - GA - LA - MS - SC

Border South
FL - KY - NC - OK - TN - TX - VA - WV

MIDWEST
Big Ten Country

IL - IN - IA - MI - MN - OH - WI

Plains/Border Midwest
KS - MO - NE - ND - SD

WEST
Mountain West

AZ - CO - ID - MT - NV - NM - UT - WY

West Coast
CA - OR - WA

Non-Lower 48
AK - HI
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 03:23:18 PM »

The only region worth anything and the only region full of real Americans who actually have things to offer to the world.

Well then, I know your avatar must NOT describe your actual location! Wink

Foreign posters: sorry!!  Totally blanked on that.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »

I'm in South Florida (Boca). It's neither the deep south or the border south, so I feel like I don't have an option to pick in this thread. Sad

LOL, I wasn't trying to create some subjective cultural regions here.  The "Border South" is simply comprised of states that are a part of the South but not considered to be the "Deep South," including (all of) Florida.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »

One of the 7 states of "big 10 country"

I don't remember what big 10 refers to
The Big Ten Conference includes most of the flagship universities in those states:

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Nebraska
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Northwestern

These are mostly huge schools with strong academic reputations that this have a ton of alumni in the area, so they leave a pretty strong cultural footprint in the Midwest. The members west of Iowa and east of Ohio (except Penn State) haven't been members of the conference for as long, so their states don't get lumped in with "Big Ten Country" as often.

An example would be the media would routinely do "Big Ten Battleground" graphics, where they'd show the current polling results in each of those Midwestern states on the screen.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 02:00:07 PM »

Going to college in Big 10 Country, but I still think of myself as a New Englander.

Where?  And nothin' wrong with staying loyal to your roots!  I went to high school and college in Iowa City, but I still consider myself an Illinoisan at heart.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 04:15:36 PM »

Going to college in Big 10 Country, but I still think of myself as a New Englander.

Where? And nothin' wrong with staying loyal to your roots!  I went to high school and college in Iowa City, but I still consider myself an Illinoisan at heart.
Replace Illinois, German, or Lutheran with white and tell me you would still say this.

Why would I say that when it's not remotely the same?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 04:22:18 PM »

Where? And nothin' wrong with staying loyal to your roots!  I went to high school and college in Iowa City, but I still consider myself an Illinoisan at heart.
Replace Illinois, German, or Lutheran with white and tell me you would still say this.

Can you choose your ethnicity? Can you choose where you were born? Can you choose your skin color? Are the answers to these questions the same?

"White" is clearly a broader term that doesn't carry the cultural distinctiveness that being from a specific state or having ancestry from a specific country or being part of a specific religion, all things that unify the people involved over shared ideals.  Being proud of being "White" is as ridiculous as being proud of having blonde hair - there is no inherent culture to either, unless you think that people who don't have those traits are inferior or something.

Now quit trolling a thread about forum members' locations and go outside or something.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »

Can you choose your ethnicity? Can you choose where you were born? Can you choose your skin color? Are the answers to these questions the same?

"White" is clearly a broader term that doesn't carry the cultural distinctiveness that being from a specific state or having ancestry from a specific country or being part of a specific religion, all things that unify the people involved over shared ideals.  Being proud of being "White" is as ridiculous as being proud of having blonde hair - there is no inherent culture to either, unless you think that people who don't have those traits are inferior or something.

Now quit trolling a thread about forum members' locations and go outside or something.
"New England" is clearly broader than an individual state, just as "white" is broader than German ethnicity.

But it is less broad than a country, which is an example you and I both addressed as perfectly understandable to be proud of.  A White American has more in common with a Black American than they do with a White Italian.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies