Democratic South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:39:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET)  (Read 44043 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« on: February 27, 2016, 02:47:33 PM »

Low turnout is bad for both Clinton and Sanders. It means either one of them will have work to do before the GE.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 03:02:48 PM »

I'm not saying the Democrats should be more vicious to one another, I'm saying that they need to excite Democratic voters more. It's foolish to assume that everyone who would support Sanders or Clinton over Trump but is sitting on the sidelines right now will stampede towards the polls in November. Some will, but others, for better or for worse, need a reason to get out and vote.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 03:17:18 PM »

I'm not saying the Democrats should be more vicious to one another, I'm saying that they need to excite Democratic voters more. It's foolish to assume that everyone who would support Sanders or Clinton over Trump but is sitting on the sidelines right now will stampede towards the polls in November. Some will, but others, for better or for worse, need a reason to get out and vote.

If the prospect of a TRUMP presidency isn't motivating enough for Democrats and Dem leaning independents then I don't know what will be.

The idea that the alternative to Trump is more than just "not as bad as Trump."
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 03:53:36 PM »

If the prospect of a TRUMP presidency isn't motivating enough for Democrats and Dem leaning independents then I don't know what will be.

The idea that the alternative to Trump is more than just "not as bad as Trump."

Besides left-wing nutjobs like jfern I don't think there is any sane Democrat out there thinking like that about Clinton. Just look at her favorables.

Even if Clinton wins the vote of every sane person in America, it won't be enough. She needs a majority. It certainly isn't a majority of Sanders supporters who would refuse to vote for Clinton. I'd gladly vote for her. The problem is that there might be just enough to tip the balance in Trump's favor.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »

Even if Clinton wins the vote of every sane person in America, it won't be enough.

>implying that only people who vote for Clinton are sane

Against Trump, yes, I'm more than happy to make that assumption.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 04:59:13 PM »

Yeah, by the time we get exit polls, they'll probably have called it for Clinton already. I didn't think Clinton would win 2-to-1, but with very low turnout, that seems possible, at this point.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 05:47:06 PM »

SC was always going to be a great state for Clinton, so of course it'll be a good night for Clinton supporters. However, unless she really does win with more than 70%, I don't think this race alone is going to be a game-changer.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 06:00:26 PM »

If Bernie loses by more than -30 today and doesn't win at least VT, MA, MN and CO on Super Tuesday, it might be good game.

I don't think he needs to win MN, seeing as he's down in the polls there.

Did you mean MA? Sanders absolutely needs MN, and he probably needs to win by a least a decent margin. It should be the best state for him on ST other than VT.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »

I wonder what Sanders is going to say tonight, since he can't use that "it's basically a draw" line when he loses by 30 points.

He'll say that there are more states than just SC, same thing he was saying before today.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 07:00:46 PM »

Congrats, Clinton supporters.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 07:05:14 PM »

We're seriously going to take exit polls as the gospel truth again? Only the results will actually tell us the margin.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »

OMG! Sanders' percentage has doubled! The Sandersmentum is unreal!

#Hillaryunder80
#Sandersover20
#Inevitabern
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 07:44:56 PM »

I'll wait until ST to make any conclusions about the state of this race, but if Sanders can't turn it around then, I'll be ready to endorse Clinton.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »

Clinton and Trump will be the nominees. I don't know why people are so shocked by this.

Not shocked. Just disappointed.
I had some hopes before, but they are dispersed now.

Just wait until Trump defeats Clinton in November. Smiley

Mind if I bookmark this? Wink
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 08:00:46 PM »

Clinton and Trump will be the nominees. I don't know why people are so shocked by this.

Not shocked. Just disappointed.
I had some hopes before, but they are dispersed now.

Just wait until Trump defeats Clinton in November. Smiley

Mind if I bookmark this? Wink

It will be close, and either one can win. You can bookmark that. This election won't be a Clinton landslide, no matter how much this forum wants that to be the case. I'm fairly sure of that.

I'm not guessing it will be a Clintonslide. I'm just amazed that you're so confident someone like Trump will win.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 08:12:46 PM »

If this and Tuesday really are the end of Sanders' campaign (and as I've said, I don't think we can conclude that just yet), I'd urge Clinton supporters not to get too cocky. Clinton has her work cut out for her. Say what you will about Sanders supporters, but she needs them to win a GE. Not 70-80%, nearly ALL of them and then some to beat Trump. The Republican establishment massively underestimated Trump, and waited until it was too late to try and stop him. Democrats can't make the same mistake.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 08:26:05 PM »

I'm not guessing it will be a Clintonslide. I'm just amazed that you're so confident someone like Trump will win.

So am I. I'm not totally confident that he will win (his biggest obstacles are demographics and the media) and two months ago I thought that he would lose in a yuge landslide, but I've realized that he might be the best chance the Republicans have. Rubio and Cruz are not going to win this election and Kasich isn't winning the nomination (unfortunately). People have been underestimating Trump for so long now, I don't expect that to change during the GE campaign.

Of course, Trump shouldn't be underestimated, but the fact that not all Republicans are sold on Trump is a bigger obstacle than the media (which he has to thank for his rise. Even if the coverage is negative, it still helps him.) His biggest obstacle is that he has no substance, experience, or solutions ("winning" doesn't count.) That might not matter enough in a Republican primary, but if Democrats are smart, they'll make it matter.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 08:35:14 PM »

Is there a silver lining for Sanders? Anywhere?

Probably not for Sanders, but for his supporters, his message will not disappear. Were it not for having him in the race, I'm not sure Clinton would have proudly declared that she is a progressive.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »

Cenk Uygur just said that if Bernie wins MA, CO & MN on ST, "I think he's the favorite". Seriously.

I mean, winning those states would mean it's not completely hopeless for him, but Jesus...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies