Rep. Dean Heller (R-NV): Reid’s defeat might not be good for Nevada
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:30:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rep. Dean Heller (R-NV): Reid’s defeat might not be good for Nevada
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rep. Dean Heller (R-NV): Reid’s defeat might not be good for Nevada  (Read 2979 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 08:00:19 AM »

This thread really demonstrates the sad state of the Republican Party. When you've got normally reasonable people like Torie suggesting a primary challenge to a Congressman who stated the facts, it's time to get worried.
Guderian

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 09:30:49 AM »

This thread really demonstrates the sad state of the Republican Party. When you've got normally reasonable people like Torie suggesting a primary challenge to a Congressman who stated the facts, it's time to get worried.

Stating the facts? Who the hell is he, Harry Reid's campaign manager? It's not Dean Heller's job to state the facts that work in Harry Reid's favor. If he thinks Harry Reid is so indispensable to the state of Nevada, he should have endorsed him three months ago.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 09:37:31 AM »

Stating the facts? Who the hell is he, Harry Reid's campaign manager? It's not Dean Heller's job to state the facts that work in Harry Reid's favor. If he thinks Harry Reid is so indispensable to the state of Nevada, he should have endorsed him three months ago.

Is not Dean Heller's job to state the facts that work in Angle's favor either, and it's baffling that you think it is.  He endorsed Angle and supports her, but is noting that Reid did important things relating to Yucca Mountain that the people of his district care deeply about.  His job is to represent the people of his district, not to be Angle's hack.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 09:53:06 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2010, 10:20:43 AM by Torie »

Yes, I plead guilty.  A Pubbie supporting Reid is a felony. Anyway, putting aside my own little psychological problems, Heller's comment strikes me as political suicide. How on earth could he ever win a GOP primary again?
Do you seriously think many Nevada Republicans will be happy to be reminded that they voted for Sharron Angle two years from now? (Assuming she wins, of course.) Because I certainly can't see it.

Nobody knows. Angle is a work in progress. I suspect she will fade somewhat into the GOP network. And if the economy is still floundering two years' hence, who knows how that will play. Who will be blamed?  The rest is mostly noise at this point.

It is unusual for a sitting GOP congressman sitting where his party's Senate candidate lives, to endorse the opposition. This is a national election, and if I were a voter, my inclination would be to dispose of Heller, unless he is some unreplaceable jewel in the crown.

And oh yes - I am a big fan of Yucca Mountain, and would be even if I were constrained to live in some dump like Vegas or Reno (when it comes to Nevada, Incline Village is about it). F the nimby boy.
Guderian

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »

Is not Dean Heller's job to state the facts that work in Angle's favor either, and it's baffling that you think it is.  He endorsed Angle and supports her, but is noting that Reid did important things relating to Yucca Mountain that the people of his district care deeply about.  His job is to represent the people of his district, not to be Angle's hack.

There's a big difference between "Reid did important things" and "Reid's defeat is not good for Nevada". Reasonable person can say the former and still be an Angle supporter. However if you are supporting Angle although you think Reid's defeat is bad for the state, that means you are either crazy or working for Reid.  
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »

It is unusual for a sitting GOP congressman sitting where his party's Senate candidate lives, to endorse the opposition.

I agree it would be unusual, had that actually happened in this case.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 04:26:13 PM »

Yes, I plead guilty.  A Pubbie supporting Reid is a felony. Anyway, putting aside my own little psychological problems, Heller's comment strikes me as political suicide. How on earth could he ever win a GOP primary again?

Its not like he endorsed Reid or anything. It will be very hard without taken him out of context to a considerable degree, and that alone is pretty thin basis to run a strong primary challenge.

Yes, it would have been helpful if I had bothered to actual read the story! Tongue  Anyway, the gratuitous ruminations were dumb; Heller must still be decapitated.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 08:15:19 AM »

Heller must still be decapitated.

You're beginning to worry me.  What happened to the rational Torie we used to know?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 08:20:26 AM »

Heller must still be decapitated.

You're beginning to worry me.  What happened to the rational Torie we used to know?

Election season seems to have turned 99% of the reasonable Republicans into crazies.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 08:37:25 AM »

If the Republicans nominating a better quality candidate, there would be less apprehensiveness from Republicans. Heller is a decent public official for stating what is good and bad for the state.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 01:15:04 PM »

Um, does anyone remember whom Heller defeated in 06 and by how much besides me?

Is Heller just holding a grudge?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »

Um, does anyone remember whom Heller defeated in 06 and by how much besides me?

Is Heller just holding a grudge?

Well, I doubt they're bff's.

Angle's the one famous for holding grudges, like not endorsing her primary opponents after losing, not sure about that race though.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 04:22:30 PM »

Heller probably should have broken up his sentences with some "buts", BUT he's more or less right.

I think Harry Reid's been good on NV issues but pretty bad in terms of representing his nominally right-leaning state.  I liked him when he first became SML as a moderate Dem, but he's really been carrying left-wing water for the past few years, and I think that's the main reason he'll lose tomorrow.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 04:27:04 PM »

I think Harry Reid's been good on NV issues but pretty bad in terms of representing his nominally right-leaning state. 

I'm curious how you define NV as a nominally right-leaning state. It's a bizarre and unique state, politically, with a crazy unbalanced economy, a strong private-sector union movement, lots of transients, and a clubby political system.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »

I think Harry Reid's been good on NV issues but pretty bad in terms of representing his nominally right-leaning state.  I liked him when he first became SML as a moderate Dem, but he's really been carrying left-wing water for the past few years, and I think that's the main reason he'll lose tomorrow.
I don't really think Nevada is a right-leaning state at this point.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies