Legislation Introduction Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:31:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 107975 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: July 29, 2005, 09:52:37 AM »

I'm introducing this on behalf of Emsworth:

Pledge of Allegiance Act of 2005

§ 1.  The words "under God" shall cease to form a part of the pledge of allegiance of Atlasia.  The new pledge of allegiance shall read as follows:

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of Atlasia, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

Questions and comments may be directed in his direction.
I don't like this one.  This liberal mentality that assumes we can fix this pledge "issue" by removing "under God" is silly.  Why do we need a nationalist pledge at all?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 10:00:12 AM »

I'm introducing this on behalf of Emsworth:

Pledge of Allegiance Act of 2005

§ 1.  The words "under God" shall cease to form a part of the pledge of allegiance of Atlasia.  The new pledge of allegiance shall read as follows:

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of Atlasia, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

Questions and comments may be directed in his direction.
I don't like this one.  This liberal mentality that assumes we can fix this pledge "issue" by removing "under God" is silly.  Why do we need a nationalist pledge at all?
I was not under the impression that the Senate would agree to the abolition of the pledge. If it is, however, that's fine as well.
It's just one of those things that sets me off.  It comes across as so bent on "seperation of church and state" that it looks almost anti-religious, not neutral.  On a tangible note, the bill makes no provisions for any use of the pledge-- if we have to alter it, what will the pledge be used for?  Continued recitation in schools & workplaces?  A little national motto?  I don't see the point.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 10:16:11 AM »

I'd rather keep it the way it is or abolish it.  I oppose removing "under God" from the pledge.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 10:40:05 AM »

It's just one of those things that sets me off.  It comes across as so bent on "seperation of church and state" that it looks almost anti-religious, not neutral.
Yes, I take your point about how it comes across. Of course, it's not anti-religious; that would be adding "under no God" to the pledge, for example.
Of course, I'm aware, and I don't think your intentions are malicious.  But, and I was referring more to those who want the Plede altered in general, it seems that the fact that this pledge is blatant nationalism is no cause for concern, only getting a reference to God removed.

(Of course, the Pledge was altered to include the reference to God in the 1950s... I simply don't support changing it back because of what that would stand for.  I'm much more worried about forcing people to pledge allegiance to a country than to a God.  One who opposes "Under God" in the interest of Atheists should, if he is intellectually consistent, oppose the whole pledge in the interest of Jehovah's Witnesses.)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 10:45:34 AM »

Right, but I'm not simply debating the constitutionality of it, but the intellectual consistency of anyone who supports removing "under God" but not the entire pledge.  Even if a pledge of allegiance to a country is not unconstitutional, it still should not be permitted as its officiality as endorsed by the government could be interpreted as an infringement of the rights of those who refuse to pledge allegiance to any government, such as the Jehovah's Witnesses or other similar religious groups.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 02:54:06 PM »

Treasury Policy Review Bill

Preamble
The purpose of this legislation is to clarify the authority of the Secretary of the Treasury.

Section 1 - Creation of the Treasury Policy Review
1. It is the responsibility of the Secretary of the Treasury to maintain and draft the monetary and fiscal policy of Atlasia, and to negotiate agreements relating to trade when requested by the President of Atlasia.
2. The Treasury Policy Review will specifically examine the economy of Atlasia, and detail the monetary and fiscal policy of the federal government.
3. The creation of the Treasury Policy Review will be completed entirely by the Secretary of the Treasury and posted in the Treasury Department thread.

Section 2 - Treasury Department Thread
1. Citizens and elected officials of all branches of the government are invited to give commentary and opinions on Treasury policy in the Treasury Department Thread.
2. The Secretary of the Treasury is under no directive to obey the opinions expressed in the Treasury Department Thread.
3. In instances where the Secretary of the Treasury is unsure of what course of action to take he or she may call on the Senate or Executive for direct input.

Section 3 - Authority of the Treasury Policy Review
1. As drafted, the Treasury Policy Review becomes the official policy of the Republic of Atlasia.
2. Clause 1 shall not apply to any changes in appropriations or taxation that may be recommended in the Treasury Policy Review. Such modifications may only be made by the federal Budget or by an Act of the Senate.

Section 4 - Amending the Treasury Policy Review
1. The Secretary of the Treasury may freely change the Treasury Policy Review of the past office-holders.
2. The President may amend the Treasury Policy Review as he sees fit. The Secretary of the Treasury shall not have the authority to amend or reverse changes made by the President.
3. The Senate may amend the Treasury Policy Review as it sees fit by passing an Act (which shall be subject to the President's veto in the same manner as any other legislation). Neither the Secretary of the Treasury nor the President shall have the authority to amend or reverse changes made by the Senate.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 02:16:29 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2005, 02:27:53 AM by Senator Porce »

I wanted to include sections in this regarding Supersoulty's other suggestions, but as the idea of providing emergency aide immediately is not in dispute while the other sections have yet to debated (though I doubt there will be much problem) I am introducing this as Bill #1.  Game Moderator Sam Spade wrote in his Daily Planet article:

FEMA head chief Mike Brown said in a press conference today, "I have personally requested $10 billion dollars to aid in an operation of this magnitude and scope.  All truth be told, we have no idea in the end how much this will cost, but this money will be a start."

Hurricane Katrina Relief Bill I

Preamble
The purpose of this bill is to give aide to areas in the Southeast region affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Section 1 - Immediate Monetary Aide
A. The federal government approves $10 billion in immediate aide to be used in the effort to retrieve survivors, establish suitable living conditions, and provide for food, water, and general hygene in areas in Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Section 2 - Suspension of Fuel Tax In Federal Government
A. The federal fuel tax is suspended until October 10, 2005, effective upon the passage of this bill.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 05:17:46 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2005, 11:28:22 PM by Senator Porce »

Ending of Aided Rebellion Bill

Preamble
The purpose of this bill is to end the possibility of funding and/or aiding of Pro-Democratic and Free China operatives in Mainland China and Taiwan.

1. Clause 2 of the Pacific Defense and Taiwanese Protection Act is hereby repealed.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 07:21:03 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2005, 07:26:06 AM by Senator Porce »

National Endowment for the Arts Elimination Bill

1. The National Endowment for the Arts is hereby abolished.
2. The National Endowment for the Humanities is hereby abolished.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 03:17:04 PM »

So I may as well keep the bill in the quewe so they're abolished faster?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 07:53:44 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2005, 08:11:25 AM by Senator Porce »

Lowering Registration Post Count Requirement Amendment

1. Article V, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Atlasian Constitution is amended to read as follows:
"A person may become a registered voter if they have attained twenty-five posts at the forum.  In registration, the person must state their name and State of fantasy residence; In addition, they may optionally state a political affiliation."
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 09:57:19 PM »

Ebowed, why drop the post requirements when we've just seen pellakan jump in and get 80 posts in less than a day. Bad idea.
I submitted the amendment before pellaken began posting like crazy.

Some people only post when they have something important to say.  While for most of us getting 50 posts in a few days is no problem, it's a big number for some newbies.

Also, I get the impression that pellaken would have posted less if he didn't need 50 posts to register.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 02:38:57 AM »

Pellaken certainly has hurt my case for the constitutional amendment.

However, we don't get many really involved active members anymore.  When I joined there was only an 18 post limit and I've turned out fine.  In fact, I had the 18 posts necessary; I just waited to register because I wasn't sure I knew enough about how Atlasia worked.  (I remember asking shortly after I registered why everyone hated Mike Naso, lol.)  A lower post limit does make it easier for trolls or tomatosoupers to show up, but it also makes it easier for perfectly fine new members to get involved too.  As I said, many people only post when they think it's important.  Pellaken, who has utilized the "5,000 posts by the end of September" thread, is obviously not one of those members.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 01:05:09 AM »

Asbestos Bann

1. The Senate hereby banns the importation, exportation, transportation and sale of asbestos or products that use asbestos.
I will certainly oppose that bill.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 06:16:28 AM »

Farm Subsidies Abolition Bill

1. All farm subsidies are hereby abolished, effective from Fiscal Year 2006.
2. The Farm Subsidy Limit Act, and all other laws contradicting clause 1, are hereby repealed.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 04:43:52 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2005, 04:19:50 AM by Senator Porce »

Constitutional Amendment to Protect Civil Liberties

The following is added to Article I, Section 7 of the Constitution:

9. No Region shall abridge the rights, privileges, or immunities of citizens of Atlasia guaranteed by Article VI and Section 2 of Article III of the Constitution.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 03:57:27 AM »

At the recommendation of a Louisianian constitutent, former Southeastern Lieutenant Governor Brandon H:

Gulf Coast Hurricane Damage Prevention Bill

1. The Mississippi Gulf River Outlet is hereby closed.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005, 07:19:17 PM »

Constitutional Amendment to Clarify Registration Changes

Section 2, Clause 7 of Article V of the Constitution is modified to read:
7. Persons may only change their State of registration once every sixty days.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 06:17:18 AM »

Atlasian Sovereignty Restoration Act

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Atlasian Sovereignty Restoration Act'.

SEC. 2. REPEAL OF UNITED NATIONS PARTICIPATION ACT.

(a) REPEAL- The United Nations Participation Act of 1945 (Public Law 79-264, 22 U.S.C. 287-287e) is repealed.

(b) TERMINATION OF PARTICIPATION IN UNITED NATIONS- The President shall terminate all participation by Atlasia in the United Nations, and any organ, specialized agency, commission, or other formally affiliated body of the United Nations.

(c) CLOSURE OF ATLASIAN MISSION TO UNITED NATIONS- The Atlasian Mission to the United Nations is closed. Any remaining functions of such office shall not be carried out.

SEC. 3. REPEAL OF UNITED NATIONS HEADQUARTERS AGREEMENT ACT.

(a) REPEAL- The United Nations Headquarters Agreement Act (Public Law 80-357) is repealed.

(b) WITHDRAWAL- Atlasia withdraws from the agreement between the Atlasia and the United Nations regarding the headquarters of the United Nations (signed at Lake Success, New York, on June 26, 1947, which was brought into effect by the United Nations Headquarters Agreement Act).

SEC. 4. ATLASIAN ASSESSED AND VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE UNITED NATIONS.

(a) TERMINATION- No funds are authorized to be appropriated or otherwise made available for assessed or voluntary contributions of Atlasia to the United Nations or any organ, specialized agency, commission or other formally affiliated body thereof, except that funds may be appropriated to facilitate withdrawal of Atlasian personnel and equipment. Upon termination of Atlasian membership, no payments shall be made to the United Nations or any organ, specialized agency, commission or other formally affiliated body thereof, out of any funds appropriated prior to such termination or out of any other funds available for such purposes.

(b) APPLICATION- The provisions of this section shall apply to all agencies of the United Nations, including independent or voluntary agencies.

SEC. 5. UNITED NATIONS PEACEKEEPING OPERATIONS.

(a) TERMINATION- No funds are authorized to be appropriated or otherwise made available for any Atlasian contribution to any United Nations military operation.

(b) TERMINATIONS OF ATLASIAN PARTICIPATION IN UNITED NATIONS PEACEKEEPING OPERATIONS- No funds may be obligated or expended to support the participation of any member of the Armed Forces of the Atlasia as part of any United Nations military or peacekeeping operation or force. No member of the Armed Forces of Atlasia may serve under the command of the United Nations.

SEC. 6. WITHDRAWAL OF UNITED NATIONS PRESENCE IN FACILITIES OF THE GOVERNMENT OF ATLASIA AND REPEAL OF DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY.

(a) WITHDRAWAL FROM ATLASIAN GOVERNMENT PROPERTY- The United Nations (including any affiliated agency of the United Nations) shall not occupy or use any property or facility of the Atlasian Government.

(b) DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY- No officer or employee of the United Nations or any representative, officer, or employee of any mission to the United Nations of any foreign government shall be entitled to enjoy the privileges and immunities of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of April 18, 1961, nor may any such privileges and immunities be extended to any such individual. The privileges, exemptions and immunities provided for in the International Organizations Immunities Act of December 29, 1945 (59 Stat. 669; 22 U.S.C. 288, 288a-f), or in any agreement or treaty to which the United States is a party, including the agreement entitled `Agreement Between the United Nations and the United States of America Regarding the Headquarters of the United Nations', signed June 26, 1947 (22 U.S.C. 287), and the Convention on Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations, entered into force with respect to the United States on April 29, 1970, (21 UST 1418; TIAS 6900; UNTS 16), shall not apply to the United Nations or any organ, specialized agency, commission or other formally affiliated body thereof, to the officers and employees of the United Nations, or any organ, specialized agency, commission or other formally affiliated body thereof, or to the families, suites or servants of such officers or employees.

SEC. 7. REPEAL OF UNITED NATIONS EDUCATIONAL, SCIENTIFIC, AND CULTURAL ORGANIZATION ACT.

The joint resolution entitled `A joint resolution providing for membership and participation by Atlasia in the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization, and authorizing an appropriation therefor' approved July 30, 1946 (Public Law 79-565, 22 U.S.C. 287m-287t), is repealed.

SEC. 8. REPEAL OF UNITED NATIONS ENVIRONMENT PROGRAM PARTICIPATION ACT OF 1973.

The United Nations Environment Program Participation Act of 1973 (22 U.S.C. 287 note) is repealed.

SEC. 9. REPEAL OF ATLASIAN PARTICIPATION IN THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION.

The joint resolution entitled `Joint Resolution providing for membership and participation by the United States in the World Health Organization and authorizing an appropriation therefor,' approved July 14, 1948 (22 U.S.C. 290, 290a-e-1) is repealed.

SEC. 10. REPEAL OF INVOLVEMENT IN UNITED NATIONS CONVENTIONS AND AGREEMENTS.

As of the date of the enactment of this Act, Atlasia will end any and all participation in any and all conventions and/or agreements with the United Nations and any organ, specialized agency, commission, or other formally affiliated body of the United Nations. Any remaining functions of such conventions and/or agreements shall not be carried out.

SEC. 11. REEMPLOYMENT WITH ATLASIAN GOVERNMENT AFTER SERVICE WITH AN INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION.

Nothing in this Act shall be construed to affect the rights of employees under subchapter IV of chapter 35 of title 5, United States Code, relating to reemployment after service with an international organization.

SEC. 12. NOTIFICATION.

Effective on the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of State shall notify the United Nations and any organ, specialized agency, commission, or other formally affiliated body of the United Nations of the provisions of this Act.

SEC. 13. EFFECTIVE DATE.

Except as otherwise provided, this Act and the amendments made by this Act shall take effect 1 years after the date of the enactment of this Act.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 08:50:58 PM »

Designation of Forgotten Atlasians Holiday Bill

1. September 3rd shall hereby be declared Forgotten Atlasians Day.
2. This day shall be a national holiday.
3. Atlasians who no longer post or who have left shall be remembered on this day for their time in and, if applicable, their service to Atlasia.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 09:03:12 PM »

December 31st?  No, that would be self-serving, because it's my birthday Smiley Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2005, 07:26:58 PM »

I wish to co-sponsor this amendment.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2005, 04:38:54 PM »

Since Q is gone, I'll take over as sponsor for his Gulf Coast Hurricane Damage Prevention Bill II.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2005, 07:50:12 PM »

We can do it through legislation, too, I believe.  I agree with TexasGurl; slash Defense down by 15% and we're golden.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2005, 09:18:51 PM »

All right, I'll agree to 10%.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies