Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:53:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"  (Read 165364 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: June 28, 2013, 11:28:52 PM »

My $35 monthly gift goes entirely to the kids school fees and supplies as well as a lunch.  Maisha is non profit.  He doesn't make money off my donations.  Plus, several other sponsors call their sponsees their children.  I am far from alone.

1. What exactly costs $35 a month?  Break it down for us, since you know so much about Maisha.
2. Do they actually call them their "children" or their "sponsor children".  Do these people refer to themselves as "mommy" and "daddy"?  Because this is the first time that you've ever mentioned this (and usually when something comes up suddenly that sounds unbelievable, it's because you're twisting the truth in some way).

1. School fees, primarily.  In Kenya, a child has to pay to go to school/take tests/uniforms.  If a child doesn't have the money, he or she is held back and cannot proceed until they pay up. Plus, a bowl of beans and maize for lunch.

2. Some say child, some say sponsor child. In this context, they mean the same thing.   My situation is no different. Though I say father, it is the same as sponsor father.

1. And how much are the school fees and how much is the lunch?

2. The two are not the same thing.  By that same logic, a father and a step-father would be the same thing, and those two are much more closely related than a sponsor father is to a real father.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1151 on: June 28, 2013, 11:34:10 PM »

My $35 monthly gift goes entirely to the kids school fees and supplies as well as a lunch.  Maisha is non profit.  He doesn't make money off my donations.  Plus, several other sponsors call their sponsees their children.  I am far from alone.

1. What exactly costs $35 a month?  Break it down for us, since you know so much about Maisha.
2. Do they actually call them their "children" or their "sponsor children".  Do these people refer to themselves as "mommy" and "daddy"?  Because this is the first time that you've ever mentioned this (and usually when something comes up suddenly that sounds unbelievable, it's because you're twisting the truth in some way).

1. School fees, primarily.  In Kenya, a child has to pay to go to school/take tests/uniforms.  If a child doesn't have the money, he or she is held back and cannot proceed until they pay up. Plus, a bowl of beans and maize for lunch.

2. Some say child, some say sponsor child. In this context, they mean the same thing.   My situation is no different. Though I say father, it is the same as sponsor father.

2. The two are not the same thing.  By that same logic, a father and a step-father would be the same thing, and those two are much more closely related than a sponsor father is to a real father.

I'm not sure the exact breakdown.

I said "in this context".
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1152 on: June 28, 2013, 11:41:55 PM »

I know that it does cost a considerable amount for kids in Kenya to be educated - a lot end up dropping out pretty early due to finances, which is unfortunate.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1153 on: June 29, 2013, 12:00:15 AM »

I know that it does cost a considerable amount for kids in Kenya the United States to be educated - a lot end up dropping out pretty early due to finances, which is unfortunate.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1154 on: June 29, 2013, 12:02:06 AM »

I'm not sure the exact breakdown.

I said "in this context".

If you don't know the breakdown, how do you know that it "goes entirely to the kids school fees and supplies as well as a lunch"?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1155 on: June 29, 2013, 12:08:41 AM »

I know the percentages of the two add up to 100%, but I don't exactly know what the figures are.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1156 on: June 29, 2013, 12:09:15 AM »

I know the percentages of the two add up to 100%, but I don't exactly know what the figures are.

And how do you know that?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1157 on: June 29, 2013, 12:21:30 AM »

I've seen it written down before and my Maisha director has also told me verbally.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1158 on: June 29, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »

I've seen it written down before and my Maisha director has also told me verbally.

So you're essentially basing this on an assumption that these are good people who, because they are good people, are being honest with you?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1159 on: June 29, 2013, 12:29:14 AM »

I do trust people.  The Maisha directors know what they're doing.  Yes, it is an element of trust.  Everyone should be able to trust someone.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1160 on: June 29, 2013, 12:31:57 AM »

So, purely as a hypothetical, if the Maisha director told you that it cost $35 to pay for the schooling and lunch for one kid, but in actuality, it only cost $25, and he was taking $10 for himself for some personal reasons (buying a new TV or a new computer... whatever it may be), would this make him a bad person?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1161 on: June 29, 2013, 12:36:21 AM »

It would make him less trustworthy.  That's why they have a completely separate fund for the infrastructure and stipends that are not funded by the sponsorship money.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1162 on: June 29, 2013, 12:39:30 AM »

It would make him less trustworthy.  That's why they have a completely separate fund for the infrastructure and stipends that are not funded by the sponsorship money.

1. Would it make him a bad person?
2. Would you still donate to that orphanage?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1163 on: June 29, 2013, 12:41:59 AM »

The Maisha owner and founder is from Kisumu and was poor herself, until a Swedish couple took her in and gave her an education.  In 2007, she moved to Oklahoma City and founded Maisha as a way to give back.  Her mother is the overall director of the operations in Kisumu.  They have assistants that oversee all the day to day activities.  The director in OKC comes home every June and July to see how things are going.  She and a team of assistants oversee the administration from OKC.  Nobody receives a salary, only a stipend paid for by donations strictly earmarked for such.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1164 on: June 29, 2013, 12:44:12 AM »

I understand that.  These are purely hypothetical questions that I'm curious about.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1165 on: June 29, 2013, 12:44:33 AM »

1. Would it make him a bad person?
2. Would you still donate to that orphanage?

1. I hate using the term "bad person."  It means so much more than the loss of trust.
2. I would for the sole sake of the kids.  $25 is still better than $0.  I would have a hard time recommending them to others, though.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1166 on: June 29, 2013, 12:45:52 AM »

I understand that.  These are purely hypothetical questions that I'm curious about.

Understandable and good scenarios you are throwing out.  These are questions that SHOULD be asked of every organization.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1167 on: June 29, 2013, 12:47:06 AM »

Anyway, I've got to get ready to go to Maisha.  I will chat more tonight.  Good chat, Inks.  Truly.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1168 on: June 29, 2013, 10:57:31 AM »

RIP CAD.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1169 on: June 29, 2013, 11:26:33 AM »

RIP Blondie
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1170 on: June 29, 2013, 12:31:15 PM »

CAD is still very much alive.  It is now integrated into my Kenya plans.  The plans are merged.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1171 on: June 29, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »

CAD is still very much alive.  It is now integrated into my Kenya plans.  The plans are merged.

We remember what happened the last season you came home. It will be worse this time.  RIP CAD and RIP Blondie. 
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1172 on: June 29, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »

At what point can this thread be renamed season 9?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1173 on: June 29, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »

On a side note, I had a shots worth of a little Rose' the other night and took communion with real red wine this morning.  That was a first!  I like the Rose', but not the red.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1174 on: June 29, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »

Alright, Season 8 is back from a short break.  Cancel the conversation in the Petition thread and move it here.  Now, feel free to discuss my wine indulging!
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies