Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:20:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 347852 times)
BigSerg
7sergi9

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2325 on: October 28, 2021, 09:36:22 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2326 on: October 28, 2021, 09:43:02 PM »

Well it looks like one of my predictions will definitely be right.  This thread will get to 100 pages before Election Day.
If there's one thing Atlas loves, it's talking about one of the two Virginias.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2327 on: October 28, 2021, 09:59:13 PM »

What the hell?

TMAC tells hispanic voters to get busy procreating quickly

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2328 on: October 28, 2021, 10:00:31 PM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2329 on: October 28, 2021, 10:34:10 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2021, 10:39:14 PM by Southern Delegate Punxsutawney Phil »

Btw, I stated before that I believe this race is a Tossup, I stand by that. But I still see McAuliffe as likelier to win, and by a margin of 4 points. Feels a bit high, but whatevs.
NonSwingVoter has worded it better than I could:
wanted to also re-post this link: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/27/democrats-take-lead-in-early-voting-in-virginias-highly-competitive-governors-race-.html

There was some misinformation posted earlier about how all these early voters could be hyper engaged Republicans.  We know with near certainty this is not the case as people studying this know the profile of voters.  The early vote is largely in Dem precincts and by Dem voters.  In VA you do not officially register with a party but during primaries you select a ballot of one party or the other.  Therefore they can get a good idea of the partisan lean of voters who are voting early.  Dems have a huge lead.  They did this in 2020 as well and were spot on.  That's why when NOVA dumped early ballots at the end of the night the state went from a small Trump lead to a massive Biden lead.  The ballots were overwhelmingly Dem at almost the precise margins these same analysts predicted then.  
There's still only minimal reason to believe that the early vote in Northern Virginia won't be hugely helpful for Democrats, and that is a lot of votes banked in for McAuliffe. Youngkin has to do get very good turnout in the Election Day vote in the rest of Virginia for him to win. I am unsure what to expect here, but make no mistake, this is still McAuliffe-favored.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2330 on: October 28, 2021, 10:44:12 PM »

Btw, I stated before that I believe this race is a Tossup, I stand by that. But I still see McAuliffe as likelier to win, and by a margin of 4 points. Feels a bit high, but whatevs.
wanted to also re-post this link: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/27/democrats-take-lead-in-early-voting-in-virginias-highly-competitive-governors-race-.html

There was some misinformation posted earlier about how all these early voters could be hyper engaged Republicans.  We know with near certainty this is not the case as people studying this know the profile of voters.  The early vote is largely in Dem precincts and by Dem voters.  In VA you do not officially register with a party but during primaries you select a ballot of one party or the other.  Therefore they can get a good idea of the partisan lean of voters who are voting early.  Dems have a huge lead.  They did this in 2020 as well and were spot on.  That's why when NOVA dumped early ballots at the end of the night the state went from a small Trump lead to a massive Biden lead.  The ballots were overwhelmingly Dem at almost the precise margins these same analysts predicted then.  
There's still only minimal reason to believe that the early vote in Northern Virginia won't be hugely helpful for Democrats, and that is a lot of votes banked in for McAuliffe. Youngkin has to do get very good turnout in the Election Day vote in the rest of Virginia for him to win. I am unsure what to expect here, but make no mistake, this is still McAuliffe-favored.

The way I look at it when everything feels uncertain and different takes and data points are all over the place... the most likely outcome is that things revert to their natural course.  This is generally what happened in Iowa and Ohio in 2020.  And even in 2018 when dems made big gains, it was in the places you'd expect (suburbs, cities) and not rural areas or states (where the GOP flipped).  At its core, Virginia is a democratic state.  The voters are generally not in line with GOP policies and ranting about education isn't changing that.  For me, that's more a tell that the GOP knows it's screwed in the suburbs.

Early voting also means there aren't a lot of last minute surprises regarding who shows up.  The vote is being banked and therefore I think the most likely outcome is that counties vote as you'd expect them to.  I expect a few of the close ones like Chesterfield, Stafford, Virginia Beach, etc. might flip and some may even move in opposite directions.  But this isn't going to be enough to wildly swing the overall vote. 
indietraveler

« Reply #2331 on: October 28, 2021, 10:47:35 PM »

At this point I'm surprised Fox or some conservative group isn't just purchasing billboards of this each election year.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2332 on: October 28, 2021, 11:30:08 PM »

I hope there's one thing we can collectively agree on.

This has been a very weird race. Everything about it from the candidates to the things going on on the ground right now have been a weird experience and a weird election to follow. That said, I think the general bizarreness of the election has made it more fun to follow at the same time.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2333 on: October 28, 2021, 11:42:46 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2021, 12:12:39 AM by Calthrina950 »

This has been a very weird race. Everything about it from the candidates to the things going on on the ground right now have been a weird experience and a weird election to follow. That said, I think the general bizarreness of the election has made it more fun to follow at the same time.

I'd agree, although when you think about it, this is basically a race between two generic white men who are both businessmen and who aren't the most controversial, in terms of their personality at least. I still believe McAuliffe is going to win, but this race is going to be closer than I initially expected for it to be.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2334 on: October 28, 2021, 11:51:28 PM »

For what it is worth, while canvassing in Vienna, VA, a few people did bring up fear of Tmac bringing back pandemic restrictions if Covid cases shoot up again.

Yes yes yes.. Vienna may be wealthy suburbia like most of you all live in.. but a lot of business owners live in Vienna and if you drive the streets of Vienna.. mom and pop and non chain eateries are everywhere.

Oddly.. I did not hear anything about the school board sexual assault but I think that throws Loudoun into single digit.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2335 on: October 29, 2021, 12:05:57 AM »

You should literally put your money, where your mouth is, if you really think, that Youngkin doesn't have "a realistic chance of winning". You can get then a decent amount of money without a realistic chance of losing them.

Personally, I think, 30% (1 of 3) is a bit too much. But anything between 15-25% (from 1 of 6 to 1 of 4) is a reasonable assumption, given the data (polls, fundraising, historical patterns, Biden's approval etc) we have.

With that said, McAuliffe winning by 10+ probably also has 15-25% chance to happen.

I am not into online gambling but betting on T-Mac is basically free money. 

Free money like betting that Hillary would win?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2336 on: October 29, 2021, 12:08:57 AM »

The way I look at it when everything feels uncertain and different takes and data points are all over the place... the most likely outcome is that things revert to their natural course.  This is generally what happened in Iowa and Ohio in 2020.  And even in 2018 when dems made big gains, it was in the places you'd expect (suburbs, cities) and not rural areas or states (where the GOP flipped).  At its core, Virginia is a democratic state.  The voters are generally not in line with GOP policies and ranting about education isn't changing that.  For me, that's more a tell that the GOP knows it's screwed in the suburbs.

Early voting also means there aren't a lot of last minute surprises regarding who shows up.  The vote is being banked and therefore I think the most likely outcome is that counties vote as you'd expect them to.  I expect a few of the close ones like Chesterfield, Stafford, Virginia Beach, etc. might flip and some may even move in opposite directions.  But this isn't going to be enough to wildly swing the overall vote. 

Democrats won the Iowa House delegation vote in 2018
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2337 on: October 29, 2021, 12:22:50 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2021, 12:27:21 AM by Mr. MANDELA BARNES »

The problems underneath the bad Approvals of Biden is open borders, he was told by Carville that if you get everyone vaccinated by July, Covid would be over and he can impliment his amnesty immigration reform. Just like Ludlow said we have contained this and Pence said Covid would be over by last May

He wants to impliment still his amnesty program in a Covid Environment and the Parliamentary didn't go for it, do his is allowing open borders

That's why Beto and Charlie Crist you don't hear much about them anymore, due to pen borders
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2338 on: October 29, 2021, 01:03:28 AM »

For what it is worth, while canvassing in Vienna, VA, a few people did bring up fear of Tmac bringing back pandemic restrictions if Covid cases shoot up again.

Yes yes yes.. Vienna may be wealthy suburbia like most of you all live in.. but a lot of business owners live in Vienna and if you drive the streets of Vienna.. mom and pop and non chain eateries are everywhere.

Oddly.. I did not hear anything about the school board sexual assault but I think that throws Loudoun into single digit.

Virginia's vaccination rate is pretty good, isn't it? Maybe he could do it by county so all those low vaccination Republican areas get what they fear while the Democratic vaccinated areas remain free.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2339 on: October 29, 2021, 01:07:15 AM »

Virginia's vaccination rate is pretty good, isn't it? Maybe he could do it by county so all those low vaccination Republican areas get what they fear while the Democratic vaccinated areas remain free.

There will never be lockdown discussions in Virginia again.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2340 on: October 29, 2021, 01:19:38 AM »

Wow, I had a feeling this would happen.  Hate to say it.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2341 on: October 29, 2021, 01:23:29 AM »

We now have multiple recent polls showing youngkin beating mcauliffe on the "who would handle education better?" question.

that is unheard of....a repub beating a dem on that issue.
kwabbit

« Reply #2342 on: October 29, 2021, 01:55:20 AM »

The people who vote early are rarely swing voters, which is why in every past election extrapolating from early vote totals has been essentially meaningless. If McAuliffe has a decisive margin in NOVA it will happen regardless of banked early votes.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2343 on: October 29, 2021, 02:16:06 AM »

There was some misinformation posted earlier about how all these early voters could be hyper engaged Republicans.  We know with near certainty this is not the case as people studying this know the profile of voters.  The early vote is largely in Dem precincts and by Dem voters.  In VA you do not officially register with a party but during primaries you select a ballot of one party or the other.  Therefore they can get a good idea of the partisan lean of voters who are voting early.  Dems have a huge lead.  They did this in 2020 as well and were spot on.  That's why when NOVA dumped early ballots at the end of the night the state went from a small Trump lead to a massive Biden lead.  The ballots were overwhelmingly Dem at almost the precise margins these same analysts predicted then. 

The people who vote early are rarely swing voters, which is why in every past election extrapolating from early vote totals has been essentially meaningless. If McAuliffe has a decisive margin in NOVA it will happen regardless of banked early votes.
A significant portion of the votes Youngkin needs to win (he needs to cut into the D base to some extent) are already locked in for McAuliffe, that's not at all good for Youngkin.
Remember this is a state Biden won by 10.
Youngkin needs very good turnout elsewhere to make up for that shortfall.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #2344 on: October 29, 2021, 02:16:16 AM »

I still think McAwful will win. But seeing Democrats crapping their pants now is certainly a pleasure.
kwabbit

« Reply #2345 on: October 29, 2021, 02:30:55 AM »

There was some misinformation posted earlier about how all these early voters could be hyper engaged Republicans.  We know with near certainty this is not the case as people studying this know the profile of voters.  The early vote is largely in Dem precincts and by Dem voters.  In VA you do not officially register with a party but during primaries you select a ballot of one party or the other.  Therefore they can get a good idea of the partisan lean of voters who are voting early.  Dems have a huge lead.  They did this in 2020 as well and were spot on.  That's why when NOVA dumped early ballots at the end of the night the state went from a small Trump lead to a massive Biden lead.  The ballots were overwhelmingly Dem at almost the precise margins these same analysts predicted then. 

A significant portion of the votes Youngkin needs to win (he needs to cut into the D base to some extent) are already locked in for McAuliffe, that's not at all good for Youngkin.
Remember this is a state Biden won by 10.
Youngkin needs very good turnout elsewhere to make up for that shortfall.

What I meant is that few D voters that could’ve gone to Youngkin would’ve early voted. Youngkin was never going to win resist libs but he could win marginal Dem swingy voters, people who probably wouldn’t have emphatically votes for McAuliffe at first opportunity.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2346 on: October 29, 2021, 05:56:50 AM »

I agree with this - and i also feel like we don't have a lot of actual stuff from the ground. Like anyone in here actually from Virginia want to comment on this race on what they're seeing?

You see a lot of stuff from national outlets, but what is it actually feeling like on the ground?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2347 on: October 29, 2021, 06:15:03 AM »

This is easily one of the most uncertain elections I have watched in terms of possible ranges.
I would not be surprised if TMac won by double digits, I would not be surprising if Youngkin won by over 5%.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2348 on: October 29, 2021, 06:18:28 AM »

roxas11
United States

« Reply #2349 on: October 29, 2021, 07:12:45 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2021, 07:48:47 AM by roxas11 »

The big difference is when McDonnell had won big in 2010 unemployment in Virginia was at 7.3 percent

compared to the 3.8 percent that it is currently at right now
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies