Opinion of the destruction and annihilation of culture (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:20:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of the destruction and annihilation of culture (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the destruction and annihilation of culture
FD&A

HD&A

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Opinion of the destruction and annihilation of culture  (Read 4538 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: June 01, 2016, 05:29:28 AM »

It's awful of course, but then I'm a conservative so I would say that.

Liberalism has historically supported the idea of being free to discard culture when it is no longer of use, and has also claimed to be guided by objective values.   The relativism of much of the New Left might be considered a departure from that, though I think the overarching concern for egalitarianism generally assumed in discussions on "cultural appropriation" remains within the sphere of the left.  The criticism of appropriation, when made by leftists who are outsiders to the culture in question, is (as best I understand it) not necessarily that these cultural practices have any sort of intrinsic value, but rather that they must be protected because they are a way for oppressed classes of people to express themselves.

(I'm using the terms liberalism and conservatism here in broad philosophical terms rather than by the standards of contemporary politics.)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 05:28:21 AM »

Well if I needed any convincing that assimilation of whites into a general culture in the US and abandonment of the labels they were born with is a good thing, this weekend would've done it.

(For why, compare the reaction to this in the US to the attitudes in ethnostates in Europe. Americans are standing against this specifically BECAUSE of the destruction and annihilation of culutre, they no longer have a culture to "defend")

Rather it is in large part because cultural pluralism is central to a national narrative. 

There's a conservative argument against cultural pluralism, that a nation rightly belongs to or ought to be unified by a particular ethnoculture. And one belonging to a kind of liberalism that says national identity really consists mainly in recognizing it's the current year and certain cultures aren't getting with the program.  In European states there is generally the conservative argument, and especially in Western Europe there is the liberal one also - sometimes paradoxically in combination or with the liberal argument used as a more acceptable way of expressing the more conservative sentiment. And because these countries have a civic national identity which shares the same name as the ethnic identity, this is facilitated. In America you see similar arguments, but they are not quite as tenable to as many given historical experience.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies