Inflation hits six year high, erasing wage gains by average workers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:30:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Inflation hits six year high, erasing wage gains by average workers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Inflation hits six year high, erasing wage gains by average workers  (Read 1315 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« on: July 18, 2018, 02:10:22 PM »

I really wish Janet Yellen was still here, how she stewarded good times.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »

Powell has largely hued to Yellen's benchmark rate raising schedule, so I struggle to think of how she would have improved this situation.

The real central question to this article is buried halfway in and receives little coverage. Why are wages more or less stagnant when unemployment is hovering around 4%? Inflationary concerns would be more muted were wage gains outpacing inflationary pressure, but as it stands, that isn't presently the case. Possible that it's due to fewer entrepreneurial businesses being created as opposed to historical averages? Possible that it's due to decline in union membership? Possible also that productivity growth has lagged compared to past recoveries?

And really, from a policymaking perspective, we should be more interested in which sectors are experiencing wage growth in excess of inflation.
This is an excellent analysis. Inflation has been low for most of the 21st century, the real question is why is wage growth so low. And I think you touch on why as well. Awesome post!
I would say that companies are blocking wage growth, mainly due to little yet innefectual unions and lack of worker right. With not as much disposable income as expected the consumer can’t support these new firms. Or we could blame the end of net neutrality, stifling investment by making startups online riskier to invest in.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies