Who, on average, utters more profanity in their daily speech?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:06:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Who, on average, utters more profanity in their daily speech?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the two political constituents uses more profanity in their life?
Democrats

Republicans

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Who, on average, utters more profanity in their daily speech?  (Read 995 times)
James Monroe

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2022, 04:31:48 PM »

This would likely be a leaning Democratic constituent. There is lot of fundamentalist loonies who forbid  profanity to make it be the Republicans. You won't find many average Republicans using the f bomb, while you can find different constituents from the Democrats who love to drop the word like there's no end to tomorrow.  Rappers for one heavily Democratic constituent, love to multitudes of swear words into their lyrics.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 04:34:47 PM »

Men curse more so its probably still Republicans
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 04:54:37 PM »

Men curse more so its probably still Republicans
Although true, Dems skew younger and wouldn’t the young be more likely to curse?
James Monroe

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 05:03:21 PM »

Working class people are more prone to using profanity. That would make it also skewing Democratic, as people on the lower income bracket are voting for the D ticket.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 06:08:39 PM »

The profane are probably, at a bare minimum, trending right, while the non-profane are trending left
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 06:33:51 PM »

I'm a Democrat and I'm worth at least 33% of the swearing total for all Democrats in the country from this forum alone. So, us, dammit!
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 06:47:03 PM »

Anecdotally, the people I've known IRL who swear the most are firmly right wing boomer Republicans.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2022, 06:50:13 PM »

I'm a Democrat and I'm worth at least 33% of the swearing total for all Democrats in the country from this forum alone. So, us, dammit!

Does that even count as a profanity?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 06:51:30 PM »

Does that even count as a profanity?

It's on the lowest tier possible. Don't f***ing question me on this!
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 06:55:54 PM »

Perhaps an Obama Trump demographic. I’d say republicans in terms of words said, but democrats in terms of swearing proportion
omar04

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 08:16:03 PM »

Trending Republican based off asuming higher income having a negative correlation with profanity.
James Monroe

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 08:22:19 PM »

Trending Republican based off asuming higher income having a negative correlation with profanity.

Look at all the rappers who cursed like sailors. Look at someone like Quentin Tarantino or David Mamet. Plenty of successful people are accustomed to having a tendency for swearing.
omar04

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 08:27:26 PM »

Look at all the rappers who cursed like sailors. Look at someone like Quentin Tarantino or David Mamet. Plenty of successful people are accustomed to having a tendency for swearing.

Those are all celebrities. Your typical businessman or working professional likely curses less.
James Monroe

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2022, 08:39:24 PM »

Those are all celebrities. Your typical businessman or working professional likely curses less.

The interactions from people who work on Wall Street would dispute this claim.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2022, 12:14:30 AM »

asuming higher income having a negative correlation with profanity.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Other decadent behaviors, like drinking alcohol, are positively correlated with income.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2022, 07:47:13 AM »

It’s obviously democrats how could this even be a question? Even if it’s just a function of age. I live in a college town. Listening to the students talk on the street every other word is the F word. 
James Monroe

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 09:16:08 AM »

The Republican leaning groups(Evangelicals and Mormons) are uniformly opposed to profanity. How could Republicans have control of this demographic when the most ferocity base supporters are people who take offense to the usage of profanity?
omar04

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2022, 10:41:51 PM »

The interactions from people who work on Wall Street would dispute this claim.

... That's not an average working professional either.
omar04

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2022, 10:46:08 PM »

asuming higher income having a negative correlation with profanity.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Other decadent behaviors, like drinking alcohol, are positively correlated with income.

I've heard it be explained as wealthier people drink more on average but poorer people are more likely to suffer from severe alcoholism.

Regarding cursing and income, I couldn't find much on this but this one study on tweets  did pop up: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0138717

"On the other hand, an opposite linear relationship is present for ‘Swearing’ (Topic 99). Swear words are used more by people with lower incomes which suggest that they use more informal language. The same behaviour holds in general with topics that contain more personal language or words with alternative spellings (topics not shown here). This suggests that in general users of lower income use social media more for personal communication, while the ones with higher incomes use it for more ‘professional’ issues;"
James Monroe

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2022, 12:41:18 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2022, 12:44:24 PM by James Monroe »

Study finds people's conservative and liberal traits show up in their Twitter vocabulary

A study of nearly a million tweets from over 10,000 Twitter users has found that liberals swear more, conservatives are more likely to talk about religion, and liberals use more individual words like 'me' while conservatives opt more for the group-oriented 'us.'

Researchers from Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) studied tweets sent between 15 and 30 June 2014 by followers of either Republican (conservatives) or Democrat (liberals) party Twitter accounts, and found that you can tell a lot about someone's political leanings just from the words they use.

While liberals are more likely to swear, with '' and 'sh**t' in their top ten most used words (after the most commonly used English words are removed), the researchers believe this is associated with their use of more emotionally expressive language -- they are also more likely than conservatives to express positive emotions, and to use language associated with anxiety and feelings. Conservatives are more likely to discuss religion, with 'god' and 'psalm' being popular words.

As might be expected, there were also clear differences in the discussion of politics and topical issues: liberals were more likely to discuss international news, frequently mentioning 'Kenya', where 60 people were killed in violent attacks during the time of the study, and 'Delhi' which was also regularly in the news at the time. However, while you'd expect Democrats to mention Barack Obama, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi regularly it was actually Republicans who talked about their opposition most, while Democrats conversely were more likely to talk about Dick Cheney.

The study, published in PLOS ONE, showed that the language used on Twitter fits with previous understanding of the psychology of liberal and conservative people. For example, previous studies suggested that liberals have a greater sense of their own uniqueness, whereas conservatives are more likely to emphasise group identity and consensus: this study found that this also surfaces in everyday language on Twitter, with liberals more likely than conservatives to use words like 'I' and 'me', while conservatives use words like 'we' and 'our' more.

The clear distinctions between the language used by conservatives and liberals could make it possible to identify the political leanings of tweeters, and give pollsters a greater understanding of political conversations on social media; while also suggesting that online networks might provide useful, plentiful data to better understand people's psychological characteristics.

Dr Matthew Purver, from Queen Mary University of London and co-author of the report, said:

"Open social media provides a huge amount of data for use in understanding offline behaviour. The way people talk and interact on Twitter can provide a more robust and natural source for analysing behaviour than the traditional experiments and surveys.

"The results closely matched our predictions based on existing understanding of political supporters' psychology. This means we could use Twitter data in future to better understand people's behaviour and personality, while also using psychological research to understand more about Twitter users."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/09/150916161824.htm
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2022, 07:40:29 PM »

Men are more prone to swearing outbursts, which makes it seem a bit Republican trending.

Though the younger the person the more likely it will swear. The younger generations as of now are the most liberal out there.

With the combination of youth and maleness, we could guess a Bernie Sanders leaning demo in the last electoral primary.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2022, 08:01:14 PM »

I think Republicans would appeal to edgy pre-teens on Xbox Live
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2022, 01:51:36 PM »

Democrats, but it's much closer now than it was in, say, 2001.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies