COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:33:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 118137 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: April 05, 2020, 05:46:46 AM »

Also, people are eating more because they're home all the time. What goes in must come out.

I dunno... I have noticed that it has become easier for me to actually lose weight in recent weeks. I largely attribute to two things:

1. Restaurants have closed and the portions I'm making for myself at home are usually smaller the ones I would get at a restaurant or snack bar.

2. As one of the few legal spare time acitivites left, I tend to go for a lot of walks now. For instance, yesterday I was pretty much constantly underway from 3 p.m. till 8 p.m.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 05:15:44 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2020, 05:24:54 PM by Old Europe »

My mom and I were supposed to go to Amsterdam the 20th but decided to go to Berlin instead because the German government's website was much more helpful and the attractions are opening back up the 19th.

Of April??? I wouldn't want to go on a trip anywhere this month.

Bolded part:

Eh, I wouldn't count on it... they're at the moment closed until April 19, but it's more likely than not that this is going to be extended.

If everything's going well, what is going to happen on April 19 is that more than two people will be allowed to meet in public again. But I seriously doubt that they're going to let crowds of people indoors already.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 03:18:35 PM »

Buzzfeed is attempting to sell its German branch amid financial problems related to the coronavirus.

(German source only: https://www.sueddeutsche.de/medien/buzzfeed-verkauf-1.4871960)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 05:16:27 PM »

VERY SMART PRESS BRIEFING TODAY BY TRUMP

OWNED.

IS THAT SO, DONALD TRUMP'S TOUPE??
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »

THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW, DONALD TRUMP'S TOUPE. WOULDN'T HAVE MADE IT THROUGH THE WEEK WITHOUT THAT VITAL PIECE OF IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 04:53:08 AM »

Interesting article in Fortune -- "What Do Countries With The Best Coronavirus Reponses Have In Common? Women Leaders":  

Looking for examples of true leadership in a crisis? From Iceland to Taiwan and from Germany to New Zealand, women are stepping up to show the world how to manage a messy patch for our human family. Add in Finland, Iceland and Denmark, and this pandemic is revealing that women have what it takes when the heat rises in our Houses of State. Many will say these are small countries, or islands, or other exceptions. But Germany is large and leading, and the UK is an island with very different outcomes. These leaders are gifting us an attractive alternative way of wielding power. What are they teaching us?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivahwittenbergcox/2020/04/13/what-do-countries-with-the-best-coronavirus-reponses-have-in-common-women-leaders/?fbclid=IwAR28sXmEZPWr6rSMQIFYtajL0T8MFnIbcwrgWGMSESeh-dKFSTOSd7xqG8A#42b1473d3dec

Great, using a pandemic to promote p***y power.

To be fair, coronavirus did produce a couple of male state leaders (Trump, Bolsonaro...) whose response to the pandemic mainly consisted of bragging on TV and social media how badass they are while at the same time promoting false medication which might kill you.

The Guardian did a piece on that yesterday too:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/13/leaders-trump-bolsonaro-coroanvirus-toxic-masculinity

It's true though that not all male presidents are bad. Moon Jae-in did perfectly fine, for instance.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 06:11:21 PM »

Did he give a reason? Well...other than a generic Trump platitude like "they're bad".

He said they withheld vital information that could have prevented the crisis in the U.S and that they gave Governors false info that resulted in them wanting more ventilators and PPE

Trump also gave false info by calling coronavirus no worse than the flu and by promoting hydroxychloroquine as a medicine against it. He should defund himself first.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 02:40:17 PM »

In sort of a spillover from America, 500 people assembled today in the center Berlin to protest the still ongoing lockdown in Germany. A few of the protestors reportedly wore "Trump 2020" shirts, others identified themselves to journalists as QAnon believers or opponents of "vaccination terrorism".

Article (in German): https://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/kritik-an-corona-massnahmen-das-steckt-hinter-der-querfrontdemonstration-in-berlin/25752958.html#
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies