Opinion of Muhammad
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:39:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Muhammad
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: you know the drill
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Opinion of Muhammad  (Read 3297 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2014, 05:08:36 PM »

I'm assuming you would be equally as concerned with the massacre of the Amelekites and Midianites.

I would be if Jesus was responsible.

Then you hold that Jesus and YHWH are not the same God?  Or do you hold those massacres to be mythical rather than historical?

Kind of in between the two. Basically here might've, probably most likely was some massacres of the sort by early nomadic Jewish tribes, though not necessarily as we they are written now. And they might've attributed God's blessing as the reason they did it, as many early peoples' did. That does not mean that actually was the case.

I agree with your sentiments. I am also 100% in favour of being able to take a negative stance on a religious figure and not cow to those who consider it to be blasphemous. Blasphemy is a great expression of personal freedom. What annoys me is that there are certain figures who are 'fairer game' than others given the make-up of this board. Some figures must be 'respected' or 'seen in context' at all times. Others such as Mohammed are fair game. At least, it is to be said, someone has actually brought him up after all this time.

Now I think everyone is fair game of course but there has been no attempt at any genuine and forthright appraisal of Mohammed either in the positive or negative. Instead we have a poll that is shepherding people towards a particular answer. That's why people find this uncomfortable.

I've never argued for that. In fact I've been attacked repeatedly for not doing so and basically judging everyone in all countries and all times by my modern day personal standards.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »

A skilled and charismatic leader with the ability to win over wealthy (Abu Bakr) and extremely talented (Omar, and eventually Khalid) to his cause.  Shrewd (his diplomatic dance with Abu Sufyan about Mecca is truly something), and with the prophet's gift of turning friend against friend and brother against brother with a frightening new revelation.  Utterly disrupted Arabic social structure (you mean men from every tribe are welcome in your umma?  And our brothers in the Quraysh are now our enemies?), political structure, economic and religious structure.  Successfully changed the world forever in truly dramatic fashion.  Did it all by 62 and by twenty years after his death Muslim troops were in Alexandria and Damascus and Mesopotamia.

You have to give Muhammad credit for his status as one of history's great disrupters.  His movement changed everything.  It's a truly impressive track record.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies