Christianity and gay marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:59:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christianity and gay marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these best describes you?
I am Catholic and oppose legal gay marriage

I am Catholic and support legal gay marriage

I am Orthodox Christian and oppose legal gay marriage

I am Orthodox Christian and support legal gay marriage

I am protestant Christian and oppose legal gay marriage

I am protestant Christian and support legal gay marriage

I am of another Christian sect and oppose legal gay marriage

I am of another Christian sect and support legal gay marriage

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Christianity and gay marriage  (Read 5333 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 20, 2013, 07:08:08 PM »

The same biblical authors who opposed homosexuality also supported slavery and the subjugation of women (in multiple ways).

Guess where I stand.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 07:15:05 PM »

I hope the good Christians who oppose homosexuality based on the Bible also support slavery.

Gotta be consistent.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:22:10 PM »

I hope the good Christians who oppose homosexuality based on the Bible also support slavery.

Gotta be consistent.

to be fair most Christians who cite the Bible as a justification for opposition to homosexuality do so based on the Pauline letters and not based on the Law of Moses, which expired when Christ was crucified (and contains all sorts of things patently absurd to our contemporary sensibilities).  the NT is much more nuanced on the issue of slavery on the occasions when it comes up at all.

True, but...

let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 07:30:44 PM »

Gotta be consistent.

to be fair most Christians who cite the Bible as a justification for opposition to homosexuality do so based on the Pauline letters and not based on the Law of Moses, which expired when Christ was crucified (and contains all sorts of things patently absurd to our contemporary sensibilities).  the NT is much more nuanced on the issue of slavery on the occasions when it comes up at all.

True, but...

let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

for certain.  but this cannot be read to mandate support of the state sanctioning of habitual sins.

to be clear, my own position on this is that the decided right-Christian interest in LGBT issues is at best a massive misallocation of resources.

Well it's to be expected when individualistic, peculiarly American, Protestant (or Protestant-influenced, at least) faith communities and right-wing politics get integrated into one.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:59:37 PM »

I am a Protestant Christian and oppose legal gay ''marriage'', along with civil unions and any other forms of legal recognition of same-sex relationships.

The Bible's position on the subject could not possibly be more clear. And before you say ''well, what about eating shellfish and mixing fabrics''; research the difference between moral laws and ceremonial laws. Moral laws were never overturned, and remain in place to this day.

Hi, welcome to the forum!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies